It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• NIACIN...Pray for Me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2005, 08:56 AM   #16
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
    Re: NIACIN...Pray for Me

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    I was museuming (Guggenheim) and junk shopping in Manhattan today, and I picked up something in a bin which I just tried: SLO NIACIN which is polygel controlled release niacin...500 mg.
    Though I swore NEVER to take niacin again, I've never tried anything time release.
    I was GOING to take a full 500 mg. tablet but read the back and they said "may be split along the scored line but not crushed or cut in a pill spiltter." (I guess that beaks the "polygels?")
    So I took the 1/2 pill on a VERY full stomach...all you can eat SUSHI-TEMPURA lunch. I ate MORE than I can eat!
    If I don't die from the pill I'll try the 500 tomorrow.

I'm seeing GP next week and will have my blood lipids run to see the immediate effect of this stuff on my HDL. Since I'm drinking NO alcohol til Xmas since November 15th, any increase should be attributable solely to the niacin.

God, I hope I don't have a major death-flush!

Hi Lenin,

NIASPAN is a prescription form of NIACIN which has been researched and shown great results with almost no liver toxicity. This Niacin blend is an Extended Release form. Apparently, it is much safer than the Slow Release form. The Immediate Release form is the safest, Most liver dysfunction has been tied to the Slow Release forms at higher doses (possibly > 2500 mg a day) or switching from Immediate release to Slow Release at the same dosage. (Immediate release is extremely safe up to about 6,000 mg a day)
    The Extended form (NIASPAN) falls between the Immediate and the Slow formula.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2005, 09:23 AM   #17
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

Lenin,

While your waiting here's another trial you might want to look into.

Serum concentration of lipoprotein(a) decreases on treatment with hydrosoluble coenzyme Q10 in patients with coronary artery disease: discovery of a new role.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=10077397&dopt=Abstract

Old 12-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #18
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Quote:
    Yesterday I took two SLO-NIACIN for a total of 1000 mg. Absolutely NO problems except a quick back spasm <damn> but that was due to my using a gym machine that I've foremerly given wide berth to...the dreaded ELLIPTICAL INQUISITION TORTURE MACHINE !
    About 4 hours after that workout, my buttocks felt like they were on fire...and then, I bent into the closet and WHAMMO. I stopped everything and took 2 SOMA'S (carisoprodyl) and went to bed. I'm walking on eggs this morning and used my SUPER vibrator (200 horsepower I think ), no pain.

Anyhoo, I moved my appointment to the 19th to more fully see the effect of the niacin after 14 days on niacin.

I just can't decide whether to take 1000 mg. a day or 500 mg. What would you guys do? (I take10 mg. Lipitor and have superb numbers except for low HDL <and a super high Lp(a).>

Next order of business is to run back to the Wall Street area and see if I can find anymore in the bargain bin...at $2.99 per 100 these are far cheaper than those in either Puritan or Vitamin Shoppe's catalogue. The are made by UPSHER-SMITH????
    Lenin,

I take "NIACOR" also made by UPSHER-SMITH. NIACOR is the only prescription
    immediate release formula. I think 1000mg a day is OK. I also started with between 500 and 1000mg before seeing my doctor. I was worried because I was also taking a statin (10 mg of pravachol). My doctor said it was fine but he just needed to monitor my liver enzymes several times a year. My HDL went up about 5 points and my TRIGS came down about 100 pts. on that dosage. The SLO niacin lowers total and LDL better than Immediate niacin. I think you should wait at least 30 days to check your blood. I am currently taking 3000 mg a day and my cholesterol numbers did not improve too much versus 1000 - 1500 mg a day. On my last blood test last week my TOTAL chol. was 240
    trigs 230
    HDL 46

In August my numbers were Total 206
    Trigs 210
    HDL 46

NOTE: HDL has remained very stable. (I think Niacin does this)

My last blood test was after Thanksgiving, and an Italian cold cut sub-sandwich 2 days before at a party. Also five pound heavier than last year.
    As some on this board have mentioned they choose not to go get bloods after a holiday. My sister almost fasts for one week before her blood tests. I think it is sometimes best to go at random to better gauge our eating habits.
    If I wanted to cheat on my true numbers and eat anything in sight, I could easily take "CRESTOR" for almost 0 cholesterol and the hell with my kidneys,
    liver and muscles. This is why I prefer Niacin, and a low dose statin. My numbers are not great but I feel alot better.

My doctor wants to up my pravachol to 20mg a day. (It never ends)

Old 12-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #19
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ACE28
    As some on this board have mentioned they choose not to go get bloods after a holiday. My sister almost fasts for one week before her blood tests. I think it is sometimes best to go at random to better gauge our eating habits.
    Yeah, you're probably right. But I guess it's only human nature to try to get the best report card possible. In a way it's funny how many people go into serious training for their blood test, sort of like a fighter going into training for a heavyweight championship title fight. But when the smoke clears, and all is finally said and done, people will naturally revert back to their old habits.

Lenin, in any case, I just want you to know that we're all out here rooting for you. So keep your left up and keep on punching, and the final outcome may go in your favor.

Old 12-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #20
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Well,
    I had my blood drawn today after 14 days of SLO-NIACIN...I ran back to the bargain bin but they were all gone, damn. I feel the occasional tingle from it but nothing you would notice if you weren't looking for it.
    Doctor's office is closed for a week so I will have to wait until the 28th to get my results. I'll continue the 500 mg. though then.

liverock,
    Thank you for that tip...now if I could only remember what dosage of CoQ10 I was taking at each of my two blood draws for LP(a) both of which showed a reading of 50 ! Perhaps the niacin will touch it. If not I plan on testing the NAC (carnitine.) If that doesn;t work, then I'll triple my CoQ10 to 150 (Oh the MONEY!) and see what happens.

ACE,
    I'm fearful that I might have blown my glycerides with my last "meal" last night...8 big gummy candies, you know, pure sugar masquerading as fruit for a 450 calorie snack guaranteed to cause diabetes! THat was really dumb.

THanks for the nice wishes ARIZONA.

Oh doc gave me an RX for Zetia to get my LDL's to 70...I KNOW that will get a laugh out several of you (my last reading was an LDL of 85.) He said DOUBLE my Lipitor to 40 (I've cut in in half to 10 for the last 6 years...too funny!) What they don't know can't hurt them!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-19-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #21
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:

liverock,
    Thank you for that tip...now if I could only remember what dosage of CoQ10 I was taking at each of my two blood draws for LP(a) both of which showed a reading of 50 ! Perhaps the niacin will touch it. If not I plan on testing the NAC (carnitine.) If that doesn;t work, then I'll triple my CoQ10 to 150 (Oh the MONEY!) and see what happens.
    Are you sure you don't want to follow Pauling's recommendation for dealing with the Lp(a) issue? It's safe, and probably wouldn't cost as much. It may or may not lower Lp(a), but it may have a neutralizing effect. Like an antihistamine, which binds to histamine receptors, thus preventing allergens from attaching and causing an allergic response, lysine and proline can bind with receptors on the Lp(a), thus neutralizing its binding sites. This creates a smooth, inert Lp(a) particle which can no longer adhere to the body.

Quote:
    ACE,
    I'm fearful that I might have blown my glycerides with my last "meal" last night...8 big gummy candies, you know, pure sugar masquerading as fruit for a 450 calorie snack guaranteed to cause diabetes! THat was really dumb.

Oh no! Now you've broken the rules of your training regimen. It looks like now we really will have to pray for you. Anyway, I hope everything turns out all right, and that your doctor doesn't screw anything up again.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #22
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Well,
    I had my blood drawn today after 14 days of SLO-NIACIN...I ran back to the bargain bin but they were all gone, damn. I feel the occasional tingle from it but nothing you would notice if you weren't looking for it.
    Doctor's office is closed for a week so I will have to wait until the 28th to get my results. I'll continue the 500 mg. though then.

liverock,

ACE,

THanks for the nice wishes ARIZONA.

Oh doc gave me an RX for Zetia to get my LDL's to 70...I KNOW that will get a laugh out several of you (my last reading was an LDL of 85.) He said DOUBLE my Lipitor to 40 (I've cut in in half to 10 for the last 6 years...too funny!) What they don't know can't hurt them!
    Hopefully your results will come back good Lenin. If U haven't had problems with the Lipitor, 10 mgs., maybe the Zetia will be fine.

Now why did U go an do the sugar thing the nite before a test, shame, shame on you. Seeing U have been cutting the pills, now U can "double" the dose to 10....LOL

Good luck.........

Old 12-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #23
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

As some on this board have mentioned they choose not to go get bloods after a holiday. My sister almost fasts for one week before her blood tests.

Ace, I think alot of us do that cause we want to keep the drs. off our backs. I just can't handle statins, and my new dr. is a damn numbers freak, and no matter how much I tell her I am NOT taking anything, she gets upset if my numbers are over the guidelines. Last time they were under, but trust me, like I told her, don't think she will see that again anytime soon. I've been around 230-240 for years, and how I got it down to 198 last time is above and beyond me. Yes, I drank alot of green tea and took cinnamon plus extra vitamin C, but still not convinced it did the trick.

Oh well, we will see in January, but trust me, it will be at least mid January...... I'm not confident enough to go right after the holidays. Just call me "Chicken Little"!!!

Old 12-20-2005, 03:08 AM   #24
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

Quote:

liverock,

Lenin

The CoQ10 used in the trial was Q-Tel which is the most hydrosoluble and according to the manufacturers produces 100% higher serum level than other makes of CoQ10( which of course makes it MORE EXPENSIVE ).
    You will probably have to take about 250mg of cheaper Coq10 to get the same serum level.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:25 AM   #25
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Well,

Well, in at least one respect you lucked out. You had your blood drawn yesterday instead of today. I understand the transit workers just went on strike in New York, and it is creating a lot of havoc in and around the city.

Old 12-24-2005, 04:45 AM   #26
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

My curiosity is KILLING me...waiting til next Wednesday to peak at my HDL and Lp(a) is not proving easy!

I'm having no problem with the 500 mg. SLO-NIACIN, not a single real flush, just a few tinglies!

Old 12-29-2005, 05:57 AM   #27
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Alas,

Not much great from the SLO NIACIN.

My bloodwork was a bit of a disappointment with a couple bright spots.
    The niacin only got my HDL to 40 rather than the over 50 I can get with booze. But the HDL-2 fraction is 20 and that's the GOOD protector (range 9-38.) AND it's better than the 35-38 HDL or so I'd get with only the lipitor. Without even the lipitor I run at 28 HDL.

GOOD news was the niacin may have helped me drop my miserable Lp(a) of 54 to a still miserable but BETTER 45.8 (that's in the range where 30 is the upper limit ) That's the best Lp(a) I've ever gotten, so I;ve got my fingers crossed.

TC is 150, LDL is 90. Triglycerides 99.
    (The overdose of gummie candy the night before got me the highest GLUCOSE I've ever seen, 109...HATED IT!)
    Apolipoprotein A1 is 143, and that's the GOOD protective stuff in the HDL chloesterol. ApoB wasn't run.

AST and ALT of 19 and 20 respectively indicate no concern for my liver.

Cardio CRP is 0.3 (Wunderbar...SUPER low inflammation)
    Homocysteine: 7.6, same as 6 months ago...tolerable.

Conclusion, I will up my SLO-Niacin to 1000 mg./day and have the bloodwork rerun in three weeks. A still lower Lp(a) and a slight boost of HDL will please me. No alcohol in that period.

And I will order some NAC to run a trial AFTER I have my blood drawn later in January.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-29-2005 at 06:10 AM.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #28
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Alas,

Not much great from the SLO NIACIN.

My bloodwork was a bit of a disappointment with a couple bright spots.
    The niacin only got my HDL to 40 rather than the over 50 I can get with booze. But the HDL-2 fraction is 20 and that's the GOOD protector (range 9-38.) AND it's better than the 35-38 HDL or so I'd get with only the lipitor. Without even the lipitor I run at 28 HDL.

GOOD news was the niacin may have helped me drop my miserable Lp(a) of 54 to a still miserable but BETTER 45.8 (that's in the range where 30 is the upper limit ) That's the best Lp(a) I've ever gotten, so I;ve got my fingers crossed.

TC is 150, LDL is 90. Triglycerides 99.
    (The overdose of gummie candy the night before got me the highest GLUCOSE I've ever seen, 109...HATED IT!)
    Apolipoprotein A1 is 143, and that's the GOOD protective stuff in the HDL chloesterol. ApoB wasn't run.

AST and ALT of 19 and 20 respectively indicate no concern for my liver.

Cardio CRP is 0.3 (Wunderbar...SUPER low inflammation)
    Homocysteine: 7.6, same as 6 months ago...tolerable.

Conclusion, I will up my SLO-Niacin to 1000 mg./day and have the bloodwork rerun in three weeks. A still lower Lp(a) and a slight boost of HDL will please me. No alcohol in that period.

And I will order some NAC to run a trial AFTER I have my blood drawn later in January.

Not a bad report Lenin, I think alot of folks would be happy with your results, and hopefully next time will even be better...Good going!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 07:59 PM   #29
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:

Lenin, why the hurry? Why do you need to have your blood retested in only three weeks? I think you should try following the Pauling Therapy, and begin using the lysine, proline, and vitamin C at the recommended dosages. Of course, you should continue taking the niacin as well. By the way, what brand of niacin are you taking?

Old 01-10-2006, 01:34 AM   #30
    labrat123
    (female)

labrat123 HB User

Lenin, I'm curious re: the ongoing results of your Slo-Niacin experiment. We share the Lp(a) anomoly, but mine is beyond horrible at 277 (Berkeley Lab - acceptable range <30). My cardiologist loves me, but he's just waiting to publish. I'm on Niaspan - as another poster mentioned, this extended release form is quite tolerable as long as it's taken intact. I'm up to 2000 mg/day and will level at 3000 in about a month, then retake the Berkeley.

Unfortunately, the Niaspan is incredibly expensive, so please keep me posted. I'll handle a little buzz in return for keeping some grocery money. Thanks.

Closed Thread