It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• IUI questions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
    Tresh
    (female)

Tresh HB User
    Question IUI questions?

My DH and I went to the Dr. yesterday to discuss our next step in getting pregnant all we have tried is clomid but later found out my dh has a low sperm count so then I was sent for and HSG and everything is good with me, my Dr. says I have a perfect uterus so next month we are going in for our first IUI. I don't know much about it only what I have read and what my mom has told me because she went through the same thing to have my brother and I could someone please tell me a little more about IUI? HOw long after IUI do you find out if it works? anyone who is going through IUI or has went through IUI please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
    ravaemarie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ravaemarie HB User
    Re: IUI questions?

Are you going to use Clomid while doing IUI? We did this for 3 cycles, then onto Repronex with IUI. I took the Clomid on days 5-9, started testing for ovulation with OPKs on day 11, went in for u/s when i got my LH surge to check to see how big follicles were. Got HCG shot when follies were at least 18 (they like to wait until 20). Had IUI on 2 consecutive days following HCG shot. Different Docs in the office had different procedures, one made me leave right away, one had me lay down for 15 minutes before I left...etc... This all took place with my regular OB/GYN.

Then I went to RE and started on Repronex. I went in for u/s on day 3 of my cycle to check for cysts or any left over follicles from last cycle. Also did bloodwork on day 3...not positive what they are checking for at this time, sorry. Started taking 1 shot a day on day 3, went back in on day 6 or 7 for another u/s and bloodwork, to check how the follies were growing (how my body was reacting to the medication). Started taking 2 shots a day from then on out. Another u/s on day 11 or 12, with more bloodwork (checking for Estradiol levels and LH surge). Found out I was having my LH surge before my follicles were ready, took 2 days of Antagon Shots to stop ovulation, along with my 2 shots of Repronex, next night at 10pm was HCG shot and next day was IUI, only one day. After the IUI they put a "sponge" inside of me, basically to hold the sperm up there...and I laid for 15 minutes with my knees up before I left. Resumed normal activity from there. Wait is 2 Weeks, just like pretty much any other procedure. Took HPT exacly 2 weeks after IUI, got AF 3 weeks after IUI. Now taking a month off of drugs to let my body get back to "normal" and enjoy the holidays with no "adverse side effects."

Sorry if this is TMI, Good Luck and Baby Dust!

~ravae

Old 12-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
    cmarie313
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmarie313 HB User

I just had had my first IUI this past month. I was on Clomid 100mg. I went in on day 3 for a bloodtest. Went in on the 12th day for ultrasound and a post coital test (which showed that I have a hostile environment-most like due to the clomd) When they did the ultrasound they saw that I had 2 follicles (19 and 20) so they gave me an HcG shot and I came back on Monday for the insemination(should have had one done on Sunday but the doctor office is closed). They had me lay down for 20 minutes after the insemination and then I carried on regularly for the rest of the day. I went back on Monday, a week after the IUI, for a bloodtest to check progesterone (which was a level 26). Then I had to just wait until I either got a period or missed one (which I did not like, I would definitely rather a bloodtest to show if you it worked or didn't). I got my period on the 30th day.
    That is pretty much the whole thing in a nutshell. I wish you lots of luck in your new steps.
    cmarie

Old 12-15-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
    hoping2beamom
    (female)

hoping2beamom HB User

this is what happened with our IUI - we did gonal F shots for 7 days, went in for u/s had 4 good sized follicles, did trigger HCG shot on a Friday and then had an IUI on sat and sunday. Both times your DH will give his sample - it will get washed and you wait an hour for it to be ready.

I did not think that the procedure was painful, a little uncomfy when they clamp the cervix but it is pretty quick. I had to lay around for 30 minutes in the dr office after.

I am taking prometrium supositories - but with your perfect uterus i bet you do not have to

the worst part about this is the 2 week wait after to know if it worked - i am on day 13 and FREAKING OUT. good luck!

Closed Thread