It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• medication for binge eating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2005, 06:32 AM   #1
    kwhyte
    (female)

kwhyte HB User
    medication for binge eating

hi,
    i was wondering if anyone had ever taken medication for binge eating, and if so, did you think it was helpful? i mean, did it "work"?
    thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User
    Re: medication for binge eating

I'm nto familiar with this personally, but for binge eating some of the only meds I can imagine taking (and have heard of ppl taking) are anti depressants, or somethign of the sort. This would help if your binge eating stems from emotional stress or problems such as this, but it doesnt work for everyone. That's why even if it did work well for some, it may not necessarily work well for you...if you work with a psychiatrist (liek a therapist but can write prescriptions for meds), he/she may be able to better assess the suitability for meds for you and your situation..

Old 12-12-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
    *pig_tails*
    (female)

*pig_tails* HB User

Theres a medication called topamax which people with depression or bipolar disorder use. Its suppose to help with binge eating. Do a search on it and look into it. Hope this helps. =). However i think you should try to treat the bulimia without medication and go talk to a professional in the field.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:00 PM   #4
    kwhyte
    (female)

kwhyte HB User

hi, thanks for getting back to me. personally, i'd much rather try to work this out with the help of a therapist and nutritionist, rather than with medication. but the therapist i've been seeing has mentioned the possibility of meds a few times, so i was just wondering what kind of experiences other people have had who've tried them.

i hope everyone is doing well!

Old 12-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
    coffeegirl2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Hi~

I have both Bipolar Disorder and bulimia. I've been taking Topamax for 3 years now. It has really helped with the binge eating. Please seek out professional advise from a pdoc, not an MD. The pdoc, a psychiatrist, knows more about this drug and the dosages as to use them accordingly. It is also good to use therapy in junction with meds.

Hang in there.

Coffeegirl

Old 12-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwhyte
    hi,
    i was wondering if anyone had ever taken medication for binge eating, and if so, did you think it was helpful? i mean, did it "work"?
    thanks
    Prozac is very helpful for binge eating and bulimia. I'm on it, 40mgs. It also has helped my anorexia tremendously by controlling the obsessive thoughts. BTW, I don't blame you for not wanting to go the medication route. I don't want to be on anything either, but I have to be right now because of where I'm at in my illness(es).

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-14-2005 at 05:17 PM.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittywitty
    Prozac is very helpful for binge eating and bulimia. I'm on it, 40mgs. It also has helped my anorexia tremendously by controlling the obsessive thoughts. BTW, I don't blame you for not wanting to go the medication route. I don't want to be on anything either, but I have to be right now because of where I'm at in my illness(es).

Old 12-14-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Whoops, I boo booed, sorry.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I'm on topamax and lexapro right now. The topamax does help with the hunger, but I still have lapses in self control. It's not a miracle drug. It sort of helps your brain not have so many cravings, but you still have to actually listen to your brain. It's also got some nasty side effects (possibility of vision problems, kidney stones...), so it's not for everybody. Also, not everybody experiences the changes in appetite. I'm sort of borderline on that. I've had fewer cravings, but I haven't been able to lose any weight, but some people lose lots of weight. I probably wouldn't stay on it just for eating issues, but it also helps with my migraines. I really need to see a therapist, but I haven't been able to find one yet, and a nutritionist, but I can't afford one. So right now all I've got is the drugs prescribed by the psychiatrist, which I guess are okay, but I think really need to be combined with therapy (at least for me) to be effective.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:58 PM   #10
    Aima4468

Aima4468 HB User

Hi....
    Just wanna say that I beleive i am a binge eater.....I feel i eat and eat and eat untill i can't eat anymore....and i would rather not take medications of fear of becoming addicted to them..what should i do?? has anyone been able to cure binge eating on their own..if so..please let me know..

Thanks

Old 12-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #11
    rockfordx2
    (male)

rockfordx2 HB User

I highly, highly recomend topamax for those with eating disorders such as binge eating, but not for the average dieter. It's great for controlling your appetite and it definately does its job and well, but not without side effects. The side effects like slight numbness of the lips at times goes away in a few weeks. I'm not bulimac, but here's my experience on topamax.

Topomax is not a diet pill, its serious medicine with a lot of side of effects, and its expensive. It'll make you stupidier than a box of rocks and make your hands and feet tingle until they hurt. It's usually prescibed for seizures or to prevent migraine headaches. It's also prescribed instead of neurotin for nerve pain, which was why I was given it for a few months when I had foot surgery. Off the label, it is prescibed for weight loss, which is why I lost 30 pounds in six months while on it, a pound a week.

I could't even fill out a grocery list the first day, my thinking was so slow. I also was very tired. This cleared up after a day or two. Fast conversations still went over me like a blur for weeks. One good side effect is that it makes all pop taste salty and imposible to drink. My hands and feet tingled for about 6 weeks then finally stopped. They felt like they were asleep alot.

I was on 200 mg of topamax and my appetite was nill. I had to remind myself to eat. And when I did eat, I could only finish half on my plate. I used to get headaches if I skipped a meal and suddenly, I went most of the day without eating. I think I could have easily gotten an eating disorder if I continued. I was losing weight pretty quickly for doing absolutely nothing.

Some people complain that topamax makes them tired and it defintely did at first. I overcame that by taking 150 mg of wellbutrin along with it. After my foot healed and I was no longer couchbound, I stopped taking the topamax. I didn't gain anything back, because I was already eating lowfat and I starting walking again to keep it off.

I have mixed feeling about topamax. I think its great at controlling appetite and portion sizes and those addicted to pop. And its much safe than surgery. But, if you don't eat right and exercise, you might just gain it all back. Although I think a person would get used to putting less on his or her plate.

If you do decide to try it, do it while on vacation. And be prepared for EVERYBODY to tell you to stop taking it. Mostly because your spacing out on their conversations in the beginning weeks. Like I said, your mental sharpness goes to normal the longer your on it.

Some will love Topamax, others will hate it. Most people quit too soon before the side effects go away.

Old 12-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #12
    elmosgirl167
    (female)

elmosgirl167 HB User
    Talking Re: medication for binge eating

hey guys reading all this info has really helped me. see i have AvPD so therapy is incredibly painful for me...anyway my doctor and I are considering medication...thanks for the info

Closed Thread