It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Forteo....and bloodwork, how often???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User
    Forteo....and bloodwork, how often???

I have been on Forteo since last March and have had bloodwork 2X, the last time in August. I have not been back to see the MD as the bloodwork has been fine and my insurance does not cover any of my Osteo. costs. The last message the nurse gave me was to call the MD when I was ready to come and see her. Is it usual to have bloodwork continue every three months? I don't want to let this go but every time I see the MD it costs me a couple of hundred dollars as she is in a big medical center. Also, is it typical to have another Dexa scan after one year and see results? I remember reading that it took up to 2 years to see results. I am sure I will have my yearly one anyway as that has been the standard to see if I am still losing ground. I don't want to put off a visit to the MD but I know this medication takes time and the MD surely can't look at me and see any difference or really do anything except bloodwork to check on my status. Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User
    Re: Forteo....and bloodwork, how often???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinBones
    I have been on Forteo since last March and have had bloodwork 2X, the last time in August. I have not been back to see the MD as the bloodwork has been fine and my insurance does not cover any of my Osteo. costs. The last message the nurse gave me was to call the MD when I was ready to come and see her. Is it usual to have bloodwork continue every three months? I don't want to let this go but every time I see the MD it costs me a couple of hundred dollars as she is in a big medical center. Also, is it typical to have another Dexa scan after one year and see results? I remember reading that it took up to 2 years to see results. I am sure I will have my yearly one anyway as that has been the standard to see if I am still losing ground. I don't want to put off a visit to the MD but I know this medication takes time and the MD surely can't look at me and see any difference or really do anything except bloodwork to check on my status. Thanks!!!
    I also started in March and have had bloodwork twice that my doctor (via his nurse) said was "perfect" - whatever that means. I think I was supposed to continue to have bloodwork done every three months, so I'm a bit overdue. Better call. I don't have to see the doctor for the bloodwork. He mails me a prescription for the tests and I go to a local lab. The lab sends him the results and then I call his office about a week later to find out if everything is OK. My doctor had told me to come back in one year, so I'm not due to see him before March. I'm not sure what the bloodwork alone costs, because some of it is covered by my insurance, but it's sure less than a visit to the doctor.

I am conflicted about a repeat bone density test. My endo said not to have one before being on Forteo for at least 18 months because the results wouldn't show up and I'd get discouraged. My gyno said to have the test a year after the last one (I've already missed that date) just to see if the Forteo is failing. I'm overdue for a yearly mamogram, so maybe I'll call the endo and see what he thinks about the gyno's suggestion. Last year, I got the bone density test when I went for my mamogram.

Last edited by spinewhine; 12-29-2005 at 03:45 PM.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

I thought every three months sounded right, I will call and see what they say. I am also torn about the scan but I would be encouraged if I did not lose more bone mass. When I went to this MD last year, she immediately did an X-ray and said I had healed fractures in my upper back that I never knew about at the time. I did have bad back pain at one point a few years ago and that may have been the culprit. I had my last child when I was 42 and I think it really drained my poor bones of calcium. I know this drug takes time but I am willing to put in the time and hope the benefits are worth it. I don't want this MD to drop me either as they are cutting edge and if something new comes up, they would hopefully know about it. The cost is what is bad but the bloodwork is not that much and I will do it if necessary. Here's hoping for stronger, thicker bones!!!

Old 12-29-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I've had blood work 3-4 times over the last year or so that I've been on Forteo. No set schedule and kind of sporadically. Thin Bones - you could call and request that orders be faxed directly to the lab, you don't necessarily have to go in for an appointment to get your labs done. I guess it depends on the doctor but why pay for an appointment before you have the results - and if their normal maybe you can skip the appointment all together and save money. I know doctor's don't like that.

I've had 3 DEXA Scans since I started Forteo about 15 months ago. My insurance does pay for these so I'm lucky. I don't know that there is any set intervals to get the scans although 2 years on a new medication like Forteo is too long to wait in my opinion. If nothing else I wanted confirmation that I was actually getting the medication into my system for it to work, and had a scan after 5 months showing improvement.

Closed Thread