It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Do I really need Tricor??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
    madams2
    (male)

madams2 HB User
    Do I really need Tricor??

I am male, 34, 6-1, 248 lbs (at time of blood work)

I had some blood work done about 7 weeks back...
    Bad Cholestrol = 118
    Good Cholestrol = 225
    Tri = 370
    I also had slightly high blood pressure but I can't remember the numbers right now.

The doctor told me the Good should be below 200 and the Tri should be below 150 so she put me on 145 Tricor which I have been taking for 6 weeks now. During that 6 weeks I joined WeightWatchers to change my diet and lost 15 pounds. I haven't had blood work done again yet so I don't know my current numbers.

My question is do I really need Tricor with the numbers that I provided? My left chest muscle has been hurting me but I thought it was only a muscle pull. I have also been having some pain in my left shoulder and a little twing in my left knee (I think I might have twisted it though) which I didn't have before. I have been trying to read up on Tricor and the side effects but it seems like alot of people have it confused with a statin and now I am confused. Is Tricor really bad for you???

I have read some stuff on Ester E and fish oils on this board that make it seem like with a good diet and those pills I might be OK. Is that the correct theory? What is the right amount to take?

I am thinking about making a doctor appointment this week to get my blood tested and to get off of tricor.

I should also add that my mother has a problem with high cholesterol and my dad's side has diabetes.

Last edited by madams2; 01-03-2006 at 09:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User
    Re: Do I really need Tricor??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madams2
    I am male, 34, 6-1, 248 lbs (at time of blood work)

I had some blood work done about 7 weeks back...
    Bad Cholestrol = 118
    Good Cholestrol = 225
    Tri = 370
    Are you sure these numbers ar right? You're not confusing good with bad?
    I've rarely seen HDL (good cholesterol) over 100, let alone 225 and HDL can never be too high.
    And your bad cholesterol isn't too high either.
    HDL is usually LOWER than LDL, or about equal at best...
    I can't get my head around this one...

Old 01-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
    madams2
    (male)

madams2 HB User

Yeah, when I wrote that it didn't seem right but I was going off of notes that I found in my pocket from 6 weeks ago. I would assume they are backwards.

Looking at my hand written notes I have "bad = 118 (should be less than 130)"????? Maybe I am using the wrong terminilogy??????

If I did have them backwards, does those numbers than seem bad?

Last edited by madams2; 01-03-2006 at 11:03 AM.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Probably what it is is a TOTAL CHOLESTEROL of 225, not too bad.
    A BAD CHOLESTEROL (LDL) of 118, pretty good actually.

Unfortunately working backwards from the formula:
    TC = LDL + HDL + Trigl/5
    gives you HDL = TC - LDL - Trigl/5

or an HDL of 33. If my assumptiions are correct, the HDL is pretty horrible and a rather large risk factor.

That very high triglycerides, low HDL and very overweight condition (especially if you have abdominal fat) is called metabolic syndrome and predisposes to diabetes and heart disease.

Call the doctor and get the numbers again...especially the HDL (the good cholesterol!) A slight misinterpretation can make a big difference.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-03-2006 at 11:45 AM.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
    madams2
    (male)

madams2 HB User

OK, I did just that and called the doctors office. The numbers from the nurse are

Total - 225
    HDL - 33
    Tri - 370
    Ratio 6.8
    LDL - 118

When I first talked to the doctor it didn't sound like it was really bad but now maybe I am double thinking it from what I have read on this site. Any insite would be helpful?

Old 01-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
    lipidprofiler
    (female)

lipidprofiler HB User

Ok -

With your trigs at 370 - the LDL number is not accurate -

when one is Using - LDL = TC-(HDL + TRig/5) this equation assumes that the individual is normolipemic (meaning your cholesterol is normal), when triglycerides are elevated (yours are) the Friedewald EQ becomes progressively inaccurate for reporting LDL. In fact, most labs won't report an LDL # when Trigs > 400 mg/dl due to the inherent inaccuracy stated above.

To answer your question - Yes - you probably need tricor - it's a fibrate and fibrates lower Triglycerides quite effectively.

Yes - Fish oils (omega III fatty Acids) will also lower triglycerides - Is it possible that diet/exercise will lower your trigs to acceptable levels - possibly, but you should listen to/consult your Dr. before making any changes in your medication regimen.

If your Dr retests you after 2 months of being on Tricior - I'd expect to see a drop in your Trig level and a rise in your LDL level - as VLDL (the main Triglyceride carrying component of lipoproteins) is metabolized, it frequently will be transformed into LDL Cholesterol. so on Tricor there is a typical latent increase in the patient's LDL level as the excess lipoproteins wash out of the system.

Once your TRigs are controlled and WNL - YOu'll also probably see a rise in HDL Levels too.

HTH-

Last edited by lipidprofiler; 01-03-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
    madams2
    (male)

madams2 HB User

lipidprofiler - thanks for info.

Fish Oil - What is the right dose and can you take too much? I see alot of people mention the Costco brand here on the board

Do I have to talk to the doctor before taking it?

Old 01-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
    lipidprofiler
    (female)

lipidprofiler HB User

Quote:
    lipidprofiler - thanks for info.

Fish Oil - What is the right dose and can you take too much? I see alot of people mention the Costco brand here on the board

Do I have to talk to the doctor before taking it?
    6-8 grams a day is an effective dose - it may make you "burpy" for lack of a better term and smell a little fishy - freeze the pills and they won't make you nearly as burpy but I can't do much about the fishy smell.

I'd at least inform your Dr. - and if you want to D/C the Tricor and try diet/exercise/fish oils - definately talk to your Dr -

Old 01-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
    madams2
    (male)

madams2 HB User

I have a call into the doctor about the fish oil.

I can't find anything that definetly says if the long term side effects of tricor are really bad. That is my main reason for wanting to get rid of it. I read up on it and i think most of the bad stuff I have seen on is was when people confused it with a statin.

In the long run, is it something that I should be worried about?

Last edited by madams2; 01-03-2006 at 01:06 PM.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
    lipidprofiler
    (female)

lipidprofiler HB User

Quote:
    I have a call into the doctor about the fish oil.

I can't find anything that definetly says if the long term side effects of tricor are really bad. That is my main reason for wanting to get rid of it. I read up on it and i think most of the bad stuff I have seen on is was when people confused it with a statin.

In the long run, is it something that I should be worried about?

Not really - the statins have varying degrees of hepatotoxic potential - some none at all - but the fibrates are fairly harmless. maybe some abdominal cramping? I can't remember all the side effects off hand - but as I recall - Liver toxicity is not high on the list if at all

Even with Statins a Dr will (should) monitor your LFE's so there shouldn't be much cause for concern.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
    madams2
    (male)

madams2 HB User

Thanks lipidprofiler. I have been reading alot on Tricor and got confused on the good/bad of it. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess since there is no real long term negative side effects I will keep on it.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:32 AM   #12
    madams2
    (male)

madams2 HB User

I talked to the doctor and she said take the fish oil and just to follow the directions on the bottom for the dossage.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #13
    madams2
    (male)

madams2 HB User

I went to Costco and purchased my fish oil pills but I also saw something called Cholest-Off. Which one would be better to use??

Old 01-05-2006, 04:43 AM   #14
    phd_1993
    (male)

phd_1993 HB User

Very high triglys & low good cholesterol is a typical characteristic of being diabetic/border line diabetic. If you are borderline diabetic, the DOC may not have caught it.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:13 AM   #15
    madams2
    (male)

madams2 HB User

My Grandmother was diabetic and my father is. I will mention it to the doctor the next time I am in there

Closed Thread