It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #91
    jacritch
    (female)

jacritch HB User
    Re: 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

Hi All,

Sorry it took me so long to respond...haven't been on the computer much lately. My husband bought my Treads for my boots at an Army and Navy store. They are about 20.00 and worth every penny. Just have to be careful, as I have found out, they do slip off pretty easily..so I tied them up with the elastic shoe laces I got from the hospital.

I am now 4 almost 5 weeks post op and I am still very sore. I can do a little house work for about a half an hour and then my back is very sore. I had l5 s1 with rods and screws on Wed., Nov. 30 and the doctor said I was ready to come home on Friday.

I am still on pain meds. I am on Vicoden and I take extra strength tylenol. Every time I try to decrease the meds I can't stand the pain. It is mainly coming from the lower back on the right side. I think it is from where they took the piece from my hip for the fusion. I have an appt. on Friday, so hopefully I can get some of my questions answered. Just a little frustrated.

Judy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #92
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Judy - sorry to hear you are still having pain - I had surgery two days before you but they got enough bone from the decompression so I was lucky to avoid that extra incision. I'm not sure I would be up to doing much housework; I've been doing the treadmill for 3 weeks and still get hip pain when I'm pushing myself and need to back off. I'm off the pain meds now but use bengay for soreness with an occasional muscle relaxer. I've been able to avoid the housework since hubby has been laid off from his job and I realize not everyone has that luxury. Hope you get some answers from your appointment. Take care....

Old 01-04-2006, 07:56 AM   #93
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

GOOD MORNING ALL,
    Confused, good to hear from you, I don't think I could do without my neurontin, when I try the pain is too much, can do without pain pills on some days but not nerve pills, but have you tried cutting them in half, when I know I'm going to be driving anywhere, even just 2 blocks away, I only take 1/2, didn't you have your surgery about the same time as me,Oct, if so you get to go back to work sooner than my Dr will let me. I've read other threads about Lycra, but I'll stick with what works, but others have had good results.
    Susiebird, let us know what your Dr. has to say about it, Have the dreams kinda quit with stopping of Elavil? Do you have a LOT of nerve pain Sue, or just some times, mine seem to be a lot, but I still have a lot of muscle spasms as well, but they seem to stem from my neck not my back so much. You know, I started on B vitamins about 2 weeks ago and can't say they have helped a lot yet, but I've noticed the last couple of days a rash on my shoulder blades, not sure if from those or not
    Hope everyone has a good day, I've got a bunch of errards to run, can't wait.Ha......Love driving again Talk to you tomorrow.

Okie46

Old 01-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #94
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Hi all. I was tired yesterday, my right hamstring was sore so used ice, heat and bengay, blew off the treadmill and it feels better today. My feet hurt a lot the last 2 days; standing/walking around the kitchen for 30 minutes was torture (like the mall last week) so I guess I'll be asking for meds for nerve pain. Okie, I get spasms from my neck too - they were gone for a few weeks after surgery - but that dull ache under my shoulder blade is coming back along with the stiff neck. I think we started the b vitamins about the same time and I don't notice any difference either (but no rashes). Those weird dreams have stopped since quitting the elavil; add it to the list of wasted drugs! Tylenol PM works as well as anything.

Take care, talk to you tomorrow.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:37 AM   #95
    confusedpatient
    (female)

confusedpatient HB User

Went to PT yesterday, with the usual therapist, and she was not pleased about what happened while she was gone. Stupid me, should have said something sooner because now I'm paying for it. You hate to tell the expert he's off base though. Grrrr. Nerve is really irritated & hurting. I started taking the dylantin that I have left from before surgery. Guess I will call the surgeon today.

On to other news. We had a massive ash tree split in half after a big storm here news years day evening. It's the biggest tree on our property, next to the transformer, and quite close to the house. We took our chances and stayed in the basement, but I didn't sleep well wondering if it would come thru the house. Yesterday the electric company brought tree trimmers in to remove it. It was like the ice storm from '05 all over again! We have enough firewood for a lifetime now. Life never gets boring around here.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:12 AM   #96
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning All,
    I had an appt. with Pain Dr. yesterday, he said the pain from my belly is from the incision healing on the inside, although I have trigger points of pain that I can't stand to touch, he said it would go away, but if still in lot of pain next month he would inject a local around it, sure wish he woiuld have done that yesterday, sure hurts this morning.
    Sue, does the pain in your feet seem to be like a burning on the soles of your feet more than just feet hurting from bad shoes? If so That's what mine was and my Chiroprator said all nerve endings are in bottom of feet and your nerves are a mess right now and that's what hurting , the nerve medicine helps some but I still have days when I feel like I'm walking on burning coals, hate it, Have learned to love the days it doesn't hurt.
    Confused, I've learned not to do too much, no matter who tells you, you have to tell whoever I'M NOT DOING THAT. Sue I'm sure glad our DR'S doesn't beleive in PT.And watch out for those trees.......Ha!
    Judy, I'm afraid that your hip pain will hurt because of that bone removal from the hip. I've talked to people,
    that have told me that when they take it from your hip like that it hurts lots longer. I've had 3 fusions in the last 7 years and cadaver bones work much better, but I'll think postive for you.
    Got to get moving here, going to be windy today for my walks, but oh well. Have a good day everyone

Okie46

Old 01-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #97
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Good morning all! Cant believe that I slept all night with no drugs - my body must be in shock

Talking about PT, my therapist treated me for 6 weeks and didn't realize I had a grade 2 spondy - he saw the incomplete MRI report (didn't note the spondy, just a broad based bulge); didn't request the xray report that noted the slip (the doctors office who did the xrays is 20 feet from the hospital); at the time I didn't know enough about my condtion to argue; I told him I could feel bones grating in my lumbar area when I did the exercises and he told me it must be my hip? like you said, I'm not the expert, but do you think it's okay to strap 10 pound weights on my ankles and do 10 reps of 10 different exercises with a grade 2 spondy??? My body said absolutely NOT! 10 weeks. 25 visits, and how many dollars wasted,....grrrrr....Luckily, they were covered by insurance, but we all pay in the end. Anyway, sorry to get on that rant.......

I'm looking to find a good (ie competant) personal trainer in a few months - I want to do our small-town triathlon in October - 4 mile run (in my case, maybe walk), 5 mile kayak, and 12.5 bike ride. Might be a stretch but it's been the motivation so far....My surgeons are cautiously optimistic i can be ready by October, but they're happy that I'm willing to work to get myself back in shape.

Okie, the foot pain is definitely a burn - it was mainly in the right foot until about 3 months ago, now it's usually even between the 2. Some days on the treadmill are worse than others, but always bad when I stand around. (now I know why I was miserable working 12 hour swing shafts walking on concrete).

It feels like it starts around my ankle and radiates to the bottom of the foot - sound familiar? Are you seeing a chiro now? I know a lot of people bash chiros, but mine has been awesome - and he wouldn't touch me until he saw all the films and reports.....hmmmmm. He helped some with the upper back spasms before surgery but said they most likely wouldn't go away until the spondy was lined up and things got balanced out - just what the ortho said at my 2 week visit. Sorry to say I'm getting that pain back ...

I'll post again tomorrow after my NS visit. Everyone have a great day!

Old 01-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #98
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning All,
    I had a bad day all day yesterday, I didn't sleep good so had some pain most of day, just one of those not good days. To top it off, even if I feel bad, I make myself walk twice a day and on my afternoon walk, a dog from across the street bite me, didn't bring blood but leg is brusied and hurts, not TOO bad, just the idea of it , don't mind animals but I don't have them for a reason, I sure don't want them bothering other people. Got that off my mine..HA!
    I do still see my Chrioprator, he does accupucture on my nerve endings to help with that, and in reality he is my best DR, with my best interest at heart. He does more for me than my "Primary Doctor" ever thought about, he is thorough, he listens, he researches,he makes calls, he does EVERYTHING possible to make my life better. He reads my X-rays, he literally does it all when it comes to our health, we've been going to him for 12 years and I can call him anytime and he is there for us, don't want to do without him.
    I still have days with the burning feet, but more without, again Chiro says nerve endings end up in feet and that's why they bother us on many days after surgery, and of course that's why they bothered us at work, I was only on my 8 hours a day, not 12, but they were telling on us then.
    You keep on working towards that triathlon, bet you make it just fine. I'll talk to you all tomorrow, hope your appt. goes fine.

Okie46

Old 01-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #99
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Hi all; NS was VERY happy with my progress, said the nerve pain was normal, and I didn't end up getting any meds for it. I see the ortho next month, and him again in April.

Walked outside yesterday afternoon, it was a balmy 35, Okie! It was great to see the cows and chickens again and of course the fresh air was wonderful. Supposed to be up in the 40's all week next week so sounds promising to get out again - it's COLD and SNOWY today' hubby and I walked the streets of Williamsport while waiting to see the NS; I could feel my muscles tightening up in my middle back from being cold.

Sounds like we both have wonderful chiros; noone went over my films and explained like mine has. He was upset that work was giving me grief about not working, and that my primary doc wasn't sticking up for me after work made me go for an IME (mine wasn't as bad as most peoples, but they are NEVER to the injured parties advantage) My primary doc told me I "shouldn't be in that much pain". Time to find a new doctor....

I slept all night again with no drugs...the skelaxin seems to help the shoulder pain so I'm taking that once or twice a day. I'm keeping the Lortab close in case I need it but it's been over 2 weeks.

Hope you had a better day today Okie, and that your dog bite doesn't give you trouble. I started carrying dog biscuits in my bike bag and my biking partner carries the mace!

Talk to you tomorrow, take care....

Old 01-07-2006, 06:41 AM   #100
    confusedpatient
    (female)

confusedpatient HB User

Hi all! I've had a bad attitude this week, so I took a break for a few days. Had my PT evaluation yesterday with a new more experienced therapist & he thinks i would benefit from nerve slide excercises. Something about nerve root scarring down and needing to get it freed up again. My back is incredibly tight, go figure, so we're going to change some things around. He asked me how I'm handling my back problem. Well duh, this is my 3rd go round, how am I supposed to handle it? Not sure what he was getting at. I did tell him I would not be doing the leg presses again and he agreed. I so hope this works and they're not just giving me BS. I did get back on the dreadmill this morning and things seem better. I held off on calling the NS, want him to see the evaluation first. We're having a wood cutting fest today. LOL Glad I can pass on that project. Oh, I did try 2 days at work this week, about 3 hours each day. Could tell when I had sat too long though. It's a start, right?

Old 01-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #101
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Hello! I can relate to taking care of the wood.....sorry, BAD BACK!!! Good for you taking charge of your PT; if we don't take care of us then who will???? I never heard of nerve slide exercises; did a search and found them for the ulnar nerve only. Oh well it's worth a try right? (I felt like they were blowing smoke up my posterior while I was in PT too so I'm hoping this works for you.)

I took a longer walk outside today (1.5 miles); I just had to see the goats. They always bring a smile to my face . It was COLDER than I first thought (wet snow that flies straight out and stings) so ended up with my SKI PANTS, fleece jacket, knee-length coat, ear muffs, hat and mittens. I must have looked like a weeble as I could barely get my coat buttoned over my brace! I figured I'd rather walk with it 20 than 115, Okie so I made the best of it. It was slow-going the last half home (1/2 mile gradual hill); took my time and had to rest a few times. I shopped for some warmer sneakers yesterday - mine have the mesh inserts on the toes so not very good for cold-weather excursions - but I tried on at least 10 pairs and they all hurt. Maybe the next time I go my feet will feel better.

My shoulder (under the blade) really hurt last night and I had trouble sleeping - I also drank coffee before bed - plus woke up with my period this morning (definitely WORSE after surgery). I'm trying various combos of heat, ice, muscle relaxers and I finally took elavil an hour ago - I feel like a nap now so we'll see what the daytime dreams are like. The shoulder had been aching most of the day but it feels wonderful right now - oh the tradeoffs....

Take care all, we'll talk to you tomorrow.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:59 AM   #102
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Good morning! Had to call the surgeon's office yesterday as I have stuff running out of my incision at the top-there was a pocket of junk underneath- so I'm on antibiotics again and see the Ortho on Thursday. It looks better already this morning, but the brace rubs it and it gets soaked with sweat - Okie it was 48 here yesterday and supposed to get up to 60 by Saturday - a real heat wave I tell ya! OF course the downside is that it will probaby be 15 by NEXT Saturday but oh well I'll take it while I can get it!

The shoulder pain is a lot better, more of a nuisance ache. No bad daytime dreams on the Elavil, but I didnt take it again. It was real cold for those few days before that, so I'll have to note if it acts up again when it gets cold like that.

Carol I did those ulnar nerve slide exercises and I think they helped - I have had this shoulder pain ever since I started with the back problems and maybe I just needed to stretch my shoulder out, but it's felt better since then. Hope your PT and work is going well.

I got a heart rate monitor for my triathlon training; it'll take me til October to figure it out. Wow, starting from the beginning is frustrating, but I'll take my time, train right and hope for the best. If nothing else, I'm hoping to be on a team where I can be the bike leg - my normal daily ride (used to be) 12 miles so [I]should[/I] be doable....

Everyone have a great day....Going to get out and catch some rays today

Old 01-10-2006, 04:32 AM   #103
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning All,
    Just so you know Sue, I only walk in summertime at 5 to 7am when it's only 95 to 100 degrees, still yuk, but that's why I love the winter time here I know what you mean about shoes, once you get a pair of walking dshoes broke in, it's hard to change to another pair.
    I've had that pain under the shoulder blade as long as I've had back pain and still do, although seems like I don't have it as often now, but do still have it, I have hubby to put a Ben Gay patch on it often. I talked to cousin inm Texas yesterday and he still has that same pain, he's had the same surgery as ours, he goes to a massage therapist(at starting rate of $55. per hour), I still go to my Chiro. and he works on it and does accupucture for $35., says it comes with the territory.............Yea
    I'm having some trouble with front incision, but nothing like you Sue, I figured they would take that off last week, too bad you still have to put up with brace. My pain there is really starting to bother me, I've put in calls about it but no one returns them.
    What a mental picture about your walk to see the goats, but what fun, there are no goats at the ranch across street from me, just a jackass, roosters, horses, and Ostrich's but fun just the same
    Must get around, still is not fun sitting too long, so totally understand Confused.
    Kat, where are you?

Okie 46

Old 01-10-2006, 05:00 AM   #104
    confusedpatient
    (female)

confusedpatient HB User

Good morning all! We're having a huge winterfest in our area this weekend & it's supposed to get up to 50. This has been some crazy weather, but I will take it over 10 below.
    Good news, surgeon called in a medrol pack and gave me the go ahead to start Lyrica. Will keep you posted on how it goes. We're working on the piriformis muscle to loosen things up, it works with the sciatic nerve so this makes sense.
    My boss informed me of 3 projects that i'll be overseeing. I thought to myself he just doesn't get it. My replacement has shingles of all things. We'll probably be on the same meds! Funny how life works. You guys have a great day. I'm off to the treadmill.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #105
    Katinthebag81
    (female)

Katinthebag81 HB User
    Talking Re: 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been walking in the mall about every other day, but now since all my swelling is gone, I have nerve pain on the left side butt, leg, ankle, foot. My feet were really swollen and my GP dr treated that with a diuretic, so back to normal now.

Can't believe its been nearly 3 weeks since surgery. Talking about the nerve pain, I need something for it, but don't want to turn into a zombie. I've been taking a Percocet and Robaxin about every 6 - 8 hours. With an additional Percocet if needed in a couple of hours. The nerve thing is more like a "restless leg" thing, but I do have the sensations of stabbing pains in toes (which I had before) and feels like someone driving a spike thru the center of my foot & also feels like someone or something is grabbing my ankle. Just annoying as can be.

Ok, this is turning into a novel. I'm glad to see everyone is trying to continue with their pre-surgery lives. I'm kinda starting to again, doing a little cooking, piddling around the kitchen and going crazy not being able to do some of the simplest things. My daughter has been an absolute angel. She actually massaged a muscle spasm out of my butt the other day. What a gal!!!

Later, gals,

Kat

Closed Thread