It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Clindamycin? Because aspirin and retin-a just didn't do it.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
    Michellala

Michellala HB User
    Clindamycin? Because aspirin and retin-a just didn't do it.

Hey guys,

I'm 22 and have been battling acne for about 3 years now. First, I was prescribed Retin-A and erythromycin which helped a lot and cleared me for awhile. However, with retin-a you can't ever go in the sun and eventually after going off and on my regimen both just stopped working.

Next, I tried the desogen birth control pill which I used with the old regimen for awhile and I had CLEAR skin. I'm talking about the no makeup, concealer who? type of skin. However, I got off the pill too.

So, here I am with the acne. This time it's not just on my forehead it is all over, cheeks (mostly sides), chin (ouchy ones), and finally forehead as well. I went to the clinic again today and asked to be placed on the pill again and for a new antibiotic.

Now I was prescribed the clindamycin lotion, which after reading some of these posts I called my pharmacy and asked if they can make it the gel form. What is your experience with clindamycin?

I've done the search and found some information more or less, mostly from 2004. So, to my fellow acne sufferers in 2006: have you used clindamycin? Are you using it now and is it working? Is it worth the $50 a tube I was told the lotion costs?

Help a girl out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
    Ihaveadream
    (male)

Ihaveadream HB User
    Re: Clindamycin? Because aspirin and retin-a just didn't do it.

Hi,

I used clyndermicin for a while and it was GREAT! Totally cleared me up and for 8 months I had the best skin i ages. I was using the lotion that comes in a roll-on container and the other alternative I was aware of was the solution form which is alcohol based and dries your skin out a bit more. Beware you will eventually become immune to it and the spots return....... I loved this stuff and it was the only antibiotic that worked for me.

I now have reasonably clear skin through changing my diet and dont take any medication.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
    Michellala

Michellala HB User

Thanks for your reply, I ended up getting the gel and hope that the effects last me awhile- at this point 8 months is better than nothing ya know?

How did you change your diet? How was your acne at it's worse? Also, how long did it take until the clindamycin started to work for you?

Thank you so much for your reply.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
    Ihaveadream
    (male)

Ihaveadream HB User

My acne was mild to moderate and I didnt see a doctor until I was 21 about it. The clyndermicin lotion started to work within a week and I couldnt believe it. Some people find its not strong enough (1%) and use products like Duac instead which has BP mixed in with it.

As far as my diet goes I cut out 'simple carbs' like rice, pasta, potatoes and bread for about a month and did EV's Digestive system cleanse which is another thread on this board. This had some good results and I have now increased my carb intake using alternatives to the above as follows:-

Oat cerial, biscuits (low GI)
    Bergen Bread (soya and linseed)
    Pasta (100% Duram wheat only)
    New potatoes (rarely eat these as they are medium GI)
    Brown rice (again rarely)

There are some very interesting threads on the board about diet, food and acne which you should read before you waste time, money and health on antibiotics. Also out of nowhere everyone is talking about aspirin which I have also found helps me and allows me to relax my diet even moreso.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
    CreditQueen
    (female)

CreditQueen HB User

I have ben using the lotion formulation of this topical antibiotic since 12/8. I am also using it in combination with Differin gel in the evening. I can tell you that it is not a quick fix and takes time to work as does anything else. The lotion does however make the skin feel a bit tacky, so if you don't like that feel then the gel maybe a better alternative to the lotion. It's too early for me to give a call on this although I am seeing favorable results. Good luck with your therapy.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
    chesterpart2
    (male)

chesterpart2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ihaveadream
    Hi,

I used clyndermicin for a while and it was GREAT! Totally cleared me up and for 8 months I had the best skin i ages. I was using the lotion that comes in a roll-on container and the other alternative I was aware of was the solution form which is alcohol based and dries your skin out a bit more. Beware you will eventually become immune to it and the spots return.......
    Exact same thing happened to me only i used the Alchohol based solution as i found it to be more effective. I think overall the Clindamycin Solution kept me completely clear for almost a year. It was absolutely awesome. I had the best skin ever. Then unfortunately it slowed down working and the mild acne was back. I still think it has SOME effect, but not as amazing as it was.

I'm now on Doxycycline 100mg per day and have been for MONTHS. Its absolutely useless. I'm thinking about going for accutane.

Closed Thread