It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Empty Breast?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
    Mommie-2-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommie-2-B HB User
    Empty Breast?

This is for moms with breastfeeding experience. All of the literature I have says to make sure that the breast is empty before moving the baby to the other breast. How do I know it's empty? Even when he quits feeding, I can still express milk out of them! This may be dumb, so bare with me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
    rouge
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rouge HB User
    Re: Empty Breast?

I guess I just figured it was empty when he stopped on that side. I also noticed that I could still express milk when it was empty.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User

Yea I've often wondered that too. No matter how long he eats, I can still get milk out after. I just switch when he stops on the first side. Actually, I often don't even switch anymore. I just do one side one time, the other side the next time. No question is a dumb question!

Old 01-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
    sweetea13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetea13 HB User

Good question, I was going to ask this exact thing!

Old 01-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I feed him on one side until he gets upset. When the breast is empty, dh will start getting fussy. Pulling off the nipple and crying when he's not getting any. If you can still express from the side you declared empty, its not empty. lol

Old 01-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

Oh man! I can't tell you how many people I asked the exact same question! Your breasts will never be completely empty because they are always making milk.

The best advice I got was that if you squeeze the nipple yourself (as if you were hand-expressing) and you get just a trickle rather than a spray then it is empty. Also watch for your baby's reaction. My DD starts fussing and pulling on and off the breast when the flow has slowed right down. Final piece of advice I got from my GP was that the baby will take 90% of the milk in the first 10 minutes, so as long as they are sucking constantly (rather than having a little suck and looking about for 5 mins as my dd tends to do) then around 20 minutes should be long enough on each side. Mind you some babys are done and dusted in much less than that, a friends baby only ever fed for about 5 minutes.

The reason we are told to make sure the breast is empty is to ensure baby gets the rich hind-milk rather than just the watery fore-milk. If you squeeze the nipple you'll be able to see from the colour of the milk whether baby is getting the hind milk: the fore-milk is quite watery but the hind milk looks much thicker and creamier.

It's hard with breast feeding to know if your baby is getting enough milk and I know I worried about this loads but as long as they are gaining weight adequately and are happy and alert then you can be reassured that they are getting what they need.

Good luck, don't give up it really is worth keeping going with breast feeding if you can.

Spanish

Old 01-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
    Mommie-2-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

It makes sense that they are always producing milk! Our bodies are truly amazing

I am really enjoying bfing, and I don't intend to give it up!! I just have a lot of questions

Old 01-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

BF is so wonderful, good for you! The breast is never actually empty, but usually your baby is the best judge, and you can feel it too!

Old 01-12-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
    Emmabean
    (female)

Emmabean HB User

I am also feeding from one breast at each feeding so that my baby gets the hindmilk. But my baby is so fat! She is 10 weeks old. She was 7 lbs. 7 oz. at birth and is now over 13 lbs! She has a round tummy and rolls of fat. Her doctor said it is perfectly normal, but I sometimes worry that my milk is too fatty or she is eating too much or something. She is outgrowing her 3 mo. clothing and is into 6 mo. clothes!

Old 01-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
    emilyallison
    (female)

emilyallison HB User

Emmabean-
    My DS is exactly the same! He is now 3 months and 16lbs. I also only feed off of one boob at a time. My Dr says hes doing great and not to worry about him being so chubby. Some babies are just bigger. I know what you mean about clothes not fitting though! It seems like he only wears something once or twice and then hes outgrown it!

Last edited by emilyallison; 01-13-2006 at 02:20 PM.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:26 PM   #11
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Same problem here, DS is at least 15lbs, I'll find out monday exactly how much he weighs.

Last edited by roxyfoxy; 01-13-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Closed Thread