It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Frequent urination?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
    also2tired
    (female)

also2tired HB User
    Frequent urination?

Does anyone know if frequent urination is a symptom of low adrenals? I have had this symptom for a long time, and I suppose I may drink a lot. Doctors have suspected diabetes, but glucose testing has always turned out normal. I even bought my own meter to use occasionally, and my glucose level in the morning before breakfast was recently 81, so it doesn't seem to be diabetes. What little information I have about adrenal problems does not mention having to go to the bathroom a lot. I think that I might drink more than others in my family, too. Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
    Hormoneman
    (male)

Hormoneman HB User
    Re: Frequent urination?

Have your aldosterone and renin tested. Your doctor should have know to also test that. Do you have a sodium and potassium test from a CBC? These tests can help indicate if your aldosterone might be low. If the sodium is at the bottom of the range or below and the potassium is at the top part of the range or above it, this indicates possible low aldosterone. Many docs think you have to be out of the ranges for aldosterone, sodium and potassium to be treated, but not so at all. The ranges for these are flawed. Symptoms must also be considered along with the numbers.

Deficiencies of aldosterone include low to very low blood pressure and high pulse due to lower blood volume from lack of sodium, desire to eat salt, dizziness or lightheadedness on standing, and palpitations, a pale, hollow face, a drowsy, absent-minded look and frequent urination.

There are different levels of hypoaldosteronism so you don't have to have all the symptoms.

Severe cases may lead to high potassium and low sodium in blood tests. When the adrenals are not making aldosterone, renin, a kidney enzyme, will increase trying to stim aldosterone, but low aldosterone can also be caused by lack of renin enzyme. Without enough renin, angiotensin I and II can't be broken down into enough aldosterone and this is called hyporeninemic hypoaldosteronism.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by also2tired
    Any ideas?
    You can have diabetes insipidus, which isn't related to sugar in your blood but instead to a hormone called vasopressin which regulates your bodiy's water contents. Have you had any head injuries in the past year or so, like a car accident? If you stop drinking water for 12 hours, do you continue to urinate frequently, or does it stop?

Old 01-25-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
    also2tired
    (female)

also2tired HB User

I have had this problem for at least 10 years (don't remember when I was ever normal, though). I have not had any head injuries. The only time I stop drinking water for 12 hours is at night, and I guess it slows down, but I still get up to pee several times during the night. One doctor just thought it was due to anxiety.... or some people are just like that, etc.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by also2tired
    I still get up to pee several times during the night. One doctor just thought it was due to anxiety.... or some people are just like that, etc.
    If it is diabetes insipidus there is a simple spray you can take that will completely stop frequent urination. Getting up several times a night is not normal and must disrupt your sleep terribly. Keep a diary of your urination times and volume and take it to a new doctor.

There is a urine test for diabetes insipidus; they take the specific gravity and look for low values. You need to get referred to an endocrinologist who specialize in hormone problems. I am assuming by frequent urination you mean that the volume is also high, even at night when you are not drinking. If not, then it sounds more like a bladder problem.

Last edited by orion; 01-27-2006 at 08:57 AM.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
    dvachon
    (female)

dvachon HB User

I have Addison's disease. Before I was diagnosed I had frequent urination problems. Its not as severe now. Im on the proper medication of 25 mg of cortef and 15 mg of DHEA daily. I was told by one doc that certain medications can mask the results of a diabetes test.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #7
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvachon
    I was told by one doc that certain medications can mask the results of a diabetes test.
    True, but hydrocortisone makes blood sugar worse. DHEA can actually improve blood sugar by stabilizing it. Neither of those drugs will mask diabetes though.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User

Are you taking Florinef?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
    JoanieNTX
    (female)

JoanieNTX HB User

Hi,

I recently have been found to have damaged adrenals due to stress. The urination problem was my first bad symptom. I would have to urinate like 5 - 7 times in a matter of about an hour. And I could feel the electrolytes leaving my body as it happened. I believe, along with my nutritionist, that it's due to sugar. Consuming ANY sugar in the form of sugar or alcohol, etc., can gear the adrenals up into "flight" syndrome. The body starts to feel anxious and empties the bladder, etc. I think the symptoms, along with heart palpitations, etc., are all relative to the unhealthy adrenals.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoanieNTX View Post
    Hi,

I recently have been found to have damaged adrenals due to stress. The urination problem was my first bad symptom. I would have to urinate like 5 - 7 times in a matter of about an hour. And I could feel the electrolytes leaving my body as it happened. I believe, along with my nutritionist, that it's due to sugar. Consuming ANY sugar in the form of sugar or alcohol, etc., can gear the adrenals up into "flight" syndrome. The body starts to feel anxious and empties the bladder, etc. I think the symptoms, along with heart palpitations, etc., are all relative to the unhealthy adrenals.
    Frequent urination, heart palpitations, anxiety and low blood sugar maybe be symptoms of a more serious nature than just adrenal problems. I would have your hormones checked, specifically, thyroid, cortisol, prolactin, LH and FSH, ACTH and urine specific gravity, just to be sure you don't have a pituitary problem or tumor. Frequent urination on the order of 5-7 x an hour sounds more like diabetes insipidus (which is caused by a pituitary problem and is not related to sugar intake).

Last edited by orion; 07-09-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 AM   #11
    JoanieNTX
    (female)

JoanieNTX HB User

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have had my hormones checked, and have also been checked for diabetes. Everything there is normal. I KNOW this is stress related due to a HUGE amount of stress that I had in January. The problems began immediately afterwards in February. Thankfully the stress (grown stepdaughter who is bipolar), has been removed, but now I have to clean up the "mess" it left behind. I am seeing a nutritionist, and having a lot of success with diet change, supplementation, and avoiding sugars, caffeine, and alcohol. I thought the same thing, too....that my hormones were all out of whack!

Closed Thread