It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• August Moms/August Babies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #286
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User
    Re: August Moms/August Babies

I was going to have my bestfriend as god mom..but we lost touch for awhile. Dh and I didn't really agree on who should be Troy's godparents but we did agree on a good cousin and her husband. We get along great and I know they will be around forever.
    I wish you the best!

Kiedy...i've gotten the Graco carseat. It seems to work great!
    Also..I've shortened the amount of time he nurses throughout the day..it used to be 5times and now it's 4 times..he does have one time with a little bit of formula.
    I'm going to try sweet potatoes today!

I got some CUUUUUUUTE pictures of Troy this morning!! I put my sunglasses on him and he was so adorable! they were so huge on his face..he just looked around and was smiling..he knew that he was being cute..,I hope they turn out!

WEll i better get going!
    talk to you all soon!
    S

m/c *angel* 10 weeks July/04
    IUI's-2 for bfp Sept 27/07

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #287
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Yeah, I think I am going to go with my sister. I tried calling my best friend lastnight and AGAIN got the automated message that says she is on the internet and will call back but she never did. A couple months ago if I had called she would have selected the message that says "Please hold while I connect" and she disconnects from the computer and answers the phone. I just get this funny feeling and it's making me uncomfortable.

I had a rough night lastnight. Kierra had a hard time going to sleep, not sure if she was having bad dreams or didn't feel well but she kept waking up crying and because she was still half asleep she couldn't tell me what the problem was...at least in language that I'd understand, she tends to speak jibberish if she is still sleeping...she woke Kaden up a couple times with her crying too. And if that wasn't enough, Kaden woke up every couple hours or so, must be his teeth or a growth spurt, so needless to say I feel like a zombie today. I know if I look at his gums it looks like theres a greyish space in his gums where a tooth might be coming in, but it's been there for a couple weeks at least so I don't know for sure now if it's a tooth coming or just the way his gums are naturally.

Well, I should go. Talk to you all later.
    Take care.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #288
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Hi,
    Well, Kaden has a cold. I had thought he had one a month after he was born but the Dr said it wasn't a cold at all, so I guess this is his first official cold. It started on Wednesday night he was cranky and didn't sleep well, then thursday he was stuffed up and still is but this morning he started coughing too. Kierra was stuffed up but not so bad anymore. I'm going to take them to the medicentre tonight, I want to make sure Kaden's doesn't turn into anything serious and I have to get Kierra's ears rechecked from her last ear infection anyway.

Kaden has been rolling more from his back to his tummy, but he gets mad when he does because he can't figure out why he is on his tummy and figure out that he has control over that.

Well, thats about all thats new so I'll chat with you again soon, hope you all are having a great weekend.
    Talk to you soon,
    Joanne

Old 01-30-2006, 06:47 AM   #289
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Hi all,

Kierrasmommie, when l read the bit about you packing l jumped to the conclusion that you were leaving dh, then as l read on l ****kled l think thats a really good idea, next time my dh pees me off l too will try the same!

Well l have STARTED TO WEAN ANNAUM I started off two days ago when l gave her 1 teaspoon of baby rice mixed with formula milk. I gave her Apricot and strawberry breakfast cereal and her caulifloiwer and broccoli with cheese for lunch twice a day. They are all Heninz and l only give her about 1 teaspoons. It takes me around 25 minutes to feed Annaum. How long did it take you folks? when you initially started weaning PLEASE? iT WAS QUITE AN EXPEIRENCE L AM GOING OT BE INVESTINGIN A BABY HIGH CHAIR SOON TOO.

Annaum weighs 16 ibs and 8 ounces. Im quite surprised at how heavy your babies all weigh! Annaum can not sit up alone unless she has plenty of cushions around her she can stand up and walk assisted. Anyway have to dash it is my little sisters birthday and l need to go out and get her a cake so l will chat to you lot later take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 01-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #290
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Booboo...i feed Troy cereal and a veggie 3x/day and it takes about 10 min to feed him..i haven't started on any fruits yet..but when i do it's going to be bananas..applesauce..and a few others. He still nurses 3-4 times a day as well. I still plan to nurse for as long as Troy wants...well not exactly..maybe till he's a year?

Kierrasmommy - Troy doesn't roll any which way on his own..he likes to just sit there....or kick up a storm...if he does roll it's from his tummy to his back with his arms positioned just right...he's also found his feet finally and loves to grab them.
    He loves to stand...and is very strong that way. He also loves to lunge forward to grab his toys when he's sitting. He can sit unassisted for about a minute without falling back.

He's also starting to teeth..i can see a little white spot on his bottum gum. It hasn't broke through yet..when do you think it might?

He's also graduated to the big carseat...it's weird having to get him out instead of just carrying him out...i feel bad when he's sleeping and he has to wake up.

Kiedy..have you gotten your carseat yet?

Well i better get going!
    take care everyone!
    S

Old 01-30-2006, 01:35 PM   #291
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

see what happens when l start to type fast!(reference to previous post)

Old 01-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #292
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

Hi guys,

Just came back from visiting my parents, they threw a birthday party for my brother's birthday. While there we finally bought the car seat. We went w/ Graco sport comfort, last year model. This year's model had the cup holder added, but it was $90 more expansive, and I just didn't think it was worth it. We also picked up a highchair, finally. It was over 50% off, a total steal, it reclines, goes up/down and you can later remove it and place it on a regular chair and use as a booster seat.

We were unable to find a good umbrella stroller, one was light, but the handle very short, my DH would not be able to reach, and the other one was great but too complicated to open and not that light, so the search continues.

DS is now really good at sitting alone, just 2 wks ago, he could barly do it for more than couple seconds and now he will do it for good hour, so BooBoo, your DD could start doing it soon. Don't forget, my DS is already 6mo old (he was born 1.5wk early and was due Aug3).

I'm still really confused w/ this feeding. I've read that they should still breastfeed/bottlefeed 4-5/day and eat cereal/veggies 2-3/day. My DS eats every 3hrs now, which means from the time he wakes up he only eats about 6 times. How am I supposed to fit in all those feedings. If I breastfeed him first he doesn't want his veggies, and if I give him solids first, he doesn't breastfeed much. So the veggies are a feeding on their own. What is the exact time schedual that you guys use for feeding? Do you still feed your little ones at night?? thanks.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:44 PM   #293
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Hi Boo,
    Yeah I figured packing some boxes would scare him and he might take me seriously, he did and was great for 2 weeks, but messed up again this weekend, so I told him he no longer has a choice he has to do counselling as that is my last resort. My sister thinks that he keeps doing this because he doesn't have consequences when he messes up, I don't agree but I guess I may have to start playing hardball and see if she is right.

Kaden did quite awhile to eat in the beginning but with practice they get better, especially if dinner is something they relly like. Kaden sometimes doesn't even give me a chance to fill the spoon again and he is yelling at me that I'm not going fast enough.

So far he has eaten all the single grain cereals (barley, rice and oat) and I've only given him the "beginner" rated baby foods. I think the next rating is 6 months so I will get those next time I go shopping.

Don't be discouraged by Annaum's weight. Don't forget she weighed less than some of the other babies at birth plus she lost some weight in the beginning so had a slow gain to start. Also girls do grow at a slower rate and are also more often smaller than boys. Kierra was 8 1/2 months old before she weighed what Kaden weighed at 5 months.

S&J
    Troy will be rolling before you know it. Kaden just started rolling from his back onto his tummy just over a week ago now, but he is getting the hang of it. He still rolls from his tummy to his back best. I guess all his floor time has helped. He plays on his playmat every morning plus a couple times throughout the day...he generally doesn't stay on his belly long so I don't call it tummy time anymore.

The teeth can be so unpredictable. Kierra's teeth were very slow...heck she didn't even get her first tooth until she was 9 months old! But even once I saw signs of a tooth coming it could take a week or more to finally poke through. But my best friends little guy one night had no teeth and the next afternoon he had sprouted 3 teeth...just poking through but above the gums anyway. Speaking of teeth.... one of my friends took her little guy (just 2 months younger than Kierra) to the dentist (his first time) and he has 6 cavities! I am so happy Kierra had a cavity free checkup, hearing that made me want to make sure even more that Kierras teeth are really well taken care of.

I miss the baby carrier too. But Kaden is a pretty good sleeper, most times I can move him to his reclined stroller or bring him into the house still sleeping. Kierra was never like that, she'd wake up as soon as I opened my door to get out of the vehicle and she never would go back to sleep, I honestly don't recall her sleeping in her stroller except once or twice while camping and only after taking a very long walk.

Kiedy
    Thats great you got such a great deal, sounds like that highchair will be very useful...I love that it converts to a booster seat too. We bought a separate one for Kierra originally for camping or travelling but we use it in the house too.

I gotta give Kaden some more sitting practice. He can sit with pillows or my legs on either side of him but he doesn't last more than a minute or so.

As for the feeding thing, I think a day means 24 hours from the start of one day to the start of the next day, so night feedings would be included. Kaden still wakes up every 3 - 3 1/2 hours through the night to eat but I'm going to ask his pediatrician next month if I can do something to wean that to longer times between feedings, or if he still needs the nourishment because of his size. Otherwise Kaden usually has 2 solid food meals a day one before his afternoon nap and one before bed. He gets cereal mixed with breastmilk, and I add the jarred vegetable baby food right into the cereal. The fruit he gets as a dessert after the veggies. Then after he is done I offer the breast as a drink to wash down his meal.

Well, Kaden is still sick, poor little guy I feel so sad for him, I even feel a bit of guilt because I should be protecting him from getting sick, I know thats dumb but I do feel guilty, if I would have just stayed home that night he would have been fine. He is really stuffed up so I have to use saline drops and then use the bulb syringe to try and suction his nose and he HATES that. I only use the fat tip syringe I've heard the smaller longer tipped bulb syringes are dangerous for their noses because they can go too deep...anyhow, that doesn't work for very long so he ends up breathing through his mouth most of the time now. His cough doesn't sound much better either, and he doesn't like taking his medicine very much, but I get it into him eventually. The Dr said if he wasn't much better to bring him back in a day or 2 so I'm going to see how he is tomorrow and decide.

Oh, I almost forgot I was watching the news tonight and I don't know where, but somewhere in the world, 2 men saw something floating in the water of a lake or river and they fished out this knotted garbage bag and opened it to find a 2 month old baby girl! She is fine luckily! They showed the video of them opening the bag and there was water in the bag so she could have drowned or suffocated so easily had those men not been there at that exact time and saw the bag. The mother was arrested and is being charged she claimed she didn't have the money to care for her anymore (!?!) Hello!!!! Since when does that give you the right to kill your child?! What the heck is this world coming to that people think that killing their babies is better than giving them up to a loving family to raise as their own? I was angered to see that not only was the mother dressed to the 9's and had her hair and makeup just perfect, but the baby had been dressed in a cute pink outfit with a matching headband and all...if she was so broke how did she afford for her and her baby to look like they were so well off? And makes you wonder what was going through her mind as she dressed her adorable innocent baby girl then placed her in a garbage bag and tied a knot and walked away? Sad, sad world when you think of how much we love our little babies and then hear about these stories and can't imagine how those poor little babies are so unjustly unlucky to come into a world to parents who don't deserve them.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:11 AM   #294
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Kiedy..it sounds like you got some great stuff and a great deal!
    What I've started doing with feeding time with Troy is this:
    wakes up around 7-8am- Nurse
    9-10ambreakfast)5-6 tbsp cereal...2 tbsp veggies and 1 tbsp of prunes (to keep him regular)
    I also give him some water from a sippy cup
    After this feed he usually goes down for a nap
    Around 11-12 He has the same amount of food as breakfast with water
    Around 1pm I nurse
    He plays after and then has another nap
    He has supper around 5-6pm (same amt as breakfast and lunch) and I nurse him after
    He then plays and has his nightly routine...bath etc and then he nurses once more at 8-8:30pm and is down for the night. He hasn't woken up to nurse during the night for about a month now.
    I hope this helps? Troy used to nurse every 3 hours and have cereal..but I think he was just in the habit of eating every 3 hours because he's so big..and I realized that he just might be thirsty so giving him the water does the trick.
    I know everyone feeds there babies differently...and I find that it helps hearing different ways so you can find your pattern! Trust me I've done a million different things and this has been the way that's worked for us
    Good luck!!

Kierrasmommy--OMG i saw that on the news too...I almost cried for the baby and could NOT imagine how anyone could do this to their own child. I was very angry at the mother as well. If she couldn't deal with her beautiful baby girl...go get some help..there are millions of people out there who would love to adopt.
    I'm sorry that your hubby is being the way he is..good for you to put your foot and down and tell him he needs to go see a counselor.
    I know Troy will be rolling sometime! hopefully I guess he's just developmentally behind..I have to remember that he was 3 weeks early..but i heard that most children are the same at a certain age -3 yrs?

Well i better get going..Troy is having his first hair cut today! His hair is hanging over his eyes and i have to tuck a lot of it behind his ears!! ahhhh it's so long!
    Take care everyone!!
    S

Old 01-31-2006, 01:48 PM   #295
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

I saw the story on the news too, it happend in Brazil, I was shocked too, couldn't believe it. Now that I have my son, I just can't imagine how there are people out there not loving or caring for their babies. There was a story I heard some time ago about a woman who starved her 10mo old. It just sickens me, if they didn't want to take care of the baby, they should have given them away, many other people would have loved them. So unfare that these babies had to be born to such mothers, isn't it?

My parents and I don't have the best relationship right now, and I often find myself wandering if I got as many kisses and hugs as I give my DS. I want to make sure that he feels loved.

Kierrasmommy, too bad Kaden is sick, it was so hard to watch my DS be sick couple months ago. My DH brought it home, and we all got sick. DH is sick again, hopefully we will be ok this time.

I can't believe how much your kids eat. S&J, Troy has 8-9 table spoons of solids in one sitting, that's amazing. It's a struggle for me to even give my guy 3 table spoons. It is such a production, I sometimes scoop the food off of his plastic bib, b/c so much of it ends up there.

Kierrasmommy, I don't feed my guy at night anymore. He goes to bed at 8pm and wakes up at 8am, I still have to feed him at 5-6am, but I'm hoping to wean him off of that too. My SIL gave me a good tip. Her DD used to wake up at 5 to eat and she had to go to work at 7. So what she did when her DD woke up at 5, she would play with her for an hour and feed her at 6. After about a week she started waking up at 6 and not at 5. SIL said it was exhausting as she had to go to work after that but she persevered and it was worth it.

So, kierrasmommy, you can try to do the same. When Keden wakes up 12am to feed see if you will play w/ him for 1hr before you feed him. You will find that he will then wake up 1hr later for his next feeding. I tried variations of this. If my DS woke up at 2am, and would not go back to sleep w/ pacifier, I played w/ him until his NEXT feeding (around 6am). But after doing this for 3 days, I was sick from exhustion. I think that's just too much. So now if he wakes up at 1 or 2, I don't feed him and put him in his swing, where he usually cont. to sleep until 6 at which point I feed him. I'm tring to get him used to the fact that there is NO food coming duing that time, but I don't like relying so much on the swing. Maybe tomorrow I will start to stay up w/ him agian. Maybe I'd have more success if I did feed him at 3am instead. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO anymore. I'm trying to feed him during the day 1/2hr before he naps, so he doesn't always associated sleep w/ food, but it's hard to always time it well.

I have to tell you guys, DS is my first child, if someone told me 6 mo ago that he would still not be sleeping through the night at this time, I would have died. It' s absolutely amazing how I got used to the disruppted and limitted sleep.

First haircut, S&J, that's so cute, did you do it, or did you take him to a salon...that's so cute, take lots of pics. I've been trimming DS's hair on and off for couple of months now. He has these individual long hairs sticking out...so strange. His hair is no where close to his eyes yet, probobly b/c his head is so big and the distance to his eyes is that much longer, lol.

You guys have a good day.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #296
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Gracieous!:Angels:

Its going to be my birthday on Friday !!!!! l cant beleive im gonna be 29 SCARY:EEK:

its funny becuase its my first birthday with Annaum, l dont think dh is going to make much of an effort he's favourite word is im broke! Anyway im at my parents mum is helping me to wean Annaum) so may not see dh stuppit!!!

Annaum (little monkey) who tends to move around out her fingers in her mouth wack me with her rattle and spit her food on my face lovely!!

Need to ask, is IT OK TO GIVE ANNAUM meals three times a day? l was told by a friend that l should only feed her 2 times as she is just starting out. I gave her about 2 teaspoons at each meal time and 7/8 ounces of milk five times a day HELP!

Oh and her poooooo has gone smelley! sorry for tmi

Also her eczema has started to get a bit wirse im using aqueous cream.

OMG l cant believe that story you lot are talking about, its sooo sad Well here in the Midlands about 2 months ago two twins were left in a sleeping bag they were only about 2 hrs old or something! a girl and a boy. The boy weighed heavier and looked well look aftered compared to the sister. I was crying sooo much l wanted to go to the hospital and give them some clothes or something! l know as society we frown upon people who do these things however, after having experienced the BABY BLUES and not being able to beast feed properly early on it makes you understand how some women must feel so Lonely and in dispair ( L HAD LOADS OF SUPPORT BUT FELT WEIRD). Im not sticking up for anyone infact im ususally the first to say ''how can one do such a thing'', but sometimes l think l can actually to some extent understand if there is no support and the mother is not in the right frame of mind! oh well lets pray that these things dont become to common.

kIERRASMOMMIE, you know me im obsessed with dd weight! she is gaining l cant hold her now! she is also above average now! and is soooooo adorable!! I hope Kaden is feeling better.

S&J aaagh so cute for Troy to have he's first hair cut! Annaum's hair is quite thick and she does have a full head of it too! i have started to stick a little clip init she looks soooo cute! I think her hair is kind of wavey/kinky? her dad has dead curly hair like an Arabs! shame he isnt and Arab hey! could have been sunbathing in Dubai on Jumerah beach ! lol anyway better go its late well after 11.pm!! xxxxxx

Old 02-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #297
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

Booboo,
    I know what you mean about the wacking, sometimes I'm just plain sore from the 'abuse' from my DS, oh, and he loves to sneeze while he mouth is full of carrots, talk about the mess. W/ how many solid feedings to give him, from what I've read, they were saying that it's just important that they get 4-5 bottles/breast that's most important. If your DD is more hugnary, I can't see how it would hurt her to have more solids, especially that it's only one extra feeding.

Kierrasmommy, how is Kaden feeling today? still sick. How is the situation w/ DH?

You guys won't believe what happend last night... DS slept from 8pm to 8am. No feeding, no crying, no getting up to give him his pacifier, nothing. I couldn't believe it, and I was just pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to try next.

DH went to work around 6, so I don't know if DS woke up. I didn't hear anything. I don't know what I did different. He usually wakes up at 11pm for pacifier/play for half hour, and I went to his room at 10pm to turn his small lamp off, and put his pacifier in as I noticied it was out. He didn't wake up at 11 or 12pm. Then when I was going to bed at 12:30am, again I checked him and put his pacifier in his mouth, thinking that maybe again he will sleep through his 2am wake up. AND HE DID. He always wakes up at 5-6 to eat, but he didn't.

I woke up, not sure what happend the night before, but my rock hard, watermelon like breasts told me, that infact DS slept through the night.

I'll try this again tonight, b/c MAYBE, it was the pacifier. When he starts waking up and it's in his mouth, he will just fall back asleep. But if it's not, he fully wakes up and it' s hard to calm him down to fall asleep again.

Another thing that he did differently was he napped for 2.5hrs for his first nap and 1.5 for second. That's 1hr more than usual.

Of course the chances of this happening again tonight are almost zero, but it will keep me going for the next couple months ....hoping

So how are you guys doing, I posted a thread on keeping kids clean while feeding, what do you do to minimize the mess, any tips??

Old 02-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #298
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Kidey! lol, like the watermelon breasts bit!

I basically continue with giving Annaum 3 feeds each containing about 3 teaspoons now. She doesnt seem to be complaining then l give her the milk about 7-8 ounces sometimes she will have it all and sometimes she wont. The good thing is that she does not wake up in the nite anymore! her first feed maybe around 7amish!

Old 02-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #299
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Boo,
    Has the pediatrician seen Annaum's excema? I don't know what to say about it. Have you looked up Exema on the infant boards to see if anyone else had success with anything. Did the exema get worse because of something you changed maybe? Like the lotion or foods or laundry soap or bath soap etc. If you think he exema got worse after she started eating solids I would stop the solids until you can speak to a Dr, but if you don't think it's related then I would do what works for you both. If she seems to handle 3 meals a day without any problems then I don't see why not.

Kiedy,
    When I feed Kaden I put one of those plastic bibs with the adjustable velcro closures...only before I put it on him I place a folded baby washcloth under his chin and around the sides of his neck then I close the bib over it so it holds it in place...this helps stop any leakage under the bib. The bib itself is for toddlers so it goes down to about his thighs, but he always pulls the bib up so I took a recieving blanket and tucked one corner under his ribs on each side then I wrap it under his legs too so really the only things exposed are his head and his arms...I push the sleeves up on his outfit too so I can wipe his arms, hands and face down and he is all set to go.

Kaden is getting better, he doesn't cough so much at night and his nose isn't running like a leaky faucette anymore. I still have to use the saline and suction a couple times a day, but he is starting to get better.

I looked and his pediatrician appointment is March 1. So I'll wait until then to see how he's sleeping before I start trying to teach him to sleep longer through the night. I wouldn't do it right now because he is sick, I don't know. I guess if I get frustrated enough I may try it earlier but if not I will wait to see the Dr.

DH has been OK since Friday. He has actually been playing with the kids more too. And he made supper and did dishes the other night as well, which is rare. Really my only issue with him is he goes out and doesn't bother calling to tell me, and when he does go out he is out for hours...Friday was 5 hours worth, but he has been known to be out much longer.

Kaden has been napping much better the last month or so as well. He usually will have 2 naps a day, he usually will sleep for about 2 hours each nap.

Well, I gotta go, Kaden is ready for a nap I think, talk to you soon.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #300
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Hi,
    Just checking something before I go to bed....I want to see if my "signature" worked...I had wanted to change my screen name a while ago from Kierrasmommy to something that had both kids names but I figured "kierraandkadensmommy" was too long. LOL So until I can come up with something that works I just will change my signature to show both my little sweet pea's.

K, I can't get fancy fonts to work for the signature so I guess it will just be plain text.

I forgot to mention, Kaden's second nap today he slept for over 2 1/2 hours straight. Most of his early afternoon naps I have to go in once half way through his nap to put his pacifier back in but this time he slept straight through.

And I was wrong in my post before. I said he napped only twice a day, he does sometimes go for a 3rd shorter nap depending on how long he sleeps in his other naps or how cranky he seems. I am going to keep track of his day and night sleep habits, I made some charts similiar to the ones they had in the No Cry Sleep Solution, I want to have some solid evidence to show the Dr when I go.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 02-01-2006 at 10:49 PM.

Closed Thread