It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• August Moms/August Babies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2006, 05:49 AM   #301
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User
    Re: August Moms/August Babies

HI,

kIERRASMOMMIE, l will try the above board that you mentioned.

Annaums loves banana custard! l have today introuduced porridge too and she like that .

I am trying ot get Annaum to crawl, it was very funny seeing her trying, as she actually managed to slide a bit and then gave up for a second and started again!

When l feed Annaum l place a tommee tippee bib which is versitile plastic and has a bowl like shape at the bottom so it catches any spiliage. Underneath this l place another material bib so that if l give any water it will not go on to Annaums neck. Has anyone introduced a sippy cup yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 08:35 AM   #302
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Booboo..
    Troy has been drinking from a sippy cup for a couple of months now..i think i started at 4mos. He just has water in it. For a long time he just played around with the spout but has finally figured how to suck from it to get the liquid out!

Troy does look very cute with his haircut! He looks like a little boy now!

Hope everyone is doing well!
    Take care!
    S

m/c *angel* 10 weeks July/04
    IUI's-2 for bfp Sept 27/07

Old 02-02-2006, 01:08 PM   #303
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

Hi Boo

I also get a little surprised by the size of some of the babies. I just weighed H today (she'll be six months on Saturday) and she was 7.3kg / 16.1lbs and that is just about on the 50th percentile of the growth charts. It doesn't matter what percentile they are on as long as they aren't crossing the lines either up or down. Some variation is normal month on month but if your baby was on the 75th percentile and they are dropping down towards the 25th then it's worth checking everything is ok. Oh, also the growth charts are based on bottle-fed babies and breast fed babies tend to be a bit lighter.

Sorry to hear that Annaum has excema. H also has it. It started when she was about 3 months old and basically covers her whole body although it's worst on her chest and stomach and on her hands. You may want to try any or all of the following:
    • Don't use soap in the bath. Use a soap subsitute such as epaderm cream.
    • Use a non-detergent laundry ball (Lakeland sell them) and don't use fabric softner. You can also get dryer balls instead of using softner in the dryer.
    • Don't let the air in her room get too dry. Hang a humidifier (or just a bowl of water) on the radiator.
    • Use lots of moisturiser. I've found the Epaderm cream to be good and you can get it on perscription from your health visitor.
    • Finally think about Annaum's diet (and your own if you are breast feeding). It could be that she has an intolerance to a certain food.

Recently I've stopped eating any dairy products and I don't feed her any and her excema has improved over the last few weeks. Just to be sure though I'm going to re-introduce dairy and see if it flares up again because the improvement could have been from something else I changed. Good luck!

Spanish

Old 02-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #304
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Spanish is right breastfed babies do tend to be bigger but gender does play a big roll too. If I am correct all of the heavier babies on here are boys. I used to feel the same way when Kierra was a baby and she wasn't as big as other babies (most of whom were boys) I just looked in her baby book and she was 14lbs 15oz the day after her 6 month birthday, so your babies are doing just fine. I even have a growth chart that the health unit gave me for Kierra when she was a baby and one side is pink with the average growth chart for girls and the other side is blue with the average growth chart for boys and you can see that boys do have a quicker weight gain in the beginning but eventually they do even out to about the same. Kierra's little boyfriend who is 2 months younger than her used to be heavier than her most of their infancy but now they way pretty close to the same.

Well, Kaden is doing better, he still has a bit of a cough but he will be back to normal in a few days. Kierra started coughing now though and I started with the stuffy nose so it looks like we all are going to go through this illness before we get rid of it. I still have some cough syrup from the last time Kierra had a cold so I'm using that for her at night when her coughing is the worst. I just hope we get better before the middle of the month. We are heading to Saskatchewan for DH's brothers wedding.

Well, I should go, DH is on his way home and Kaden should be awake before long. Talk to you all soon,

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 02-02-2006 at 04:32 PM.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #305
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

Booboo HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

May next year bring you lots of joy and happiness, and may difficult times be short and quickly forgotten. Hope you had a good day w/ or w/o your DH.

Kierrasmommy, good to hear that Kaden is doing better and hopefully Kierra is not getting sick now. My DH is still sick, he had a bad headache 2days ago, I had to take him to the hospital at 3am, b/c he was in such a severe pain. Today he had a CT scan of his head to make sure all is ok, and it is.

Oh, DS hot his 3rd tooth today, soo cute.
    Gotta go, DH is sick again...

Old 02-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #306
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Happy Birthday Boo!!!

Kaden is better but still coughing, he still has 5 days of antibiotics so I'm sure he will be as good as new by then. His nose is much better I only suctioned it twice today and once I barely got anything out at all, I can hear it but nothing comes up so it will come out eventually I guess.

Kierra is sicker today, she is coughing alot and her nose is still runny, so I bought her some different cough syrup hoping it works better. DH is also sick, he didn't get much sleep thursday night so came home sick by lunch friday, he is stuffed up and cranky. He has a cough too but it doesn't sound any different than his normal cough (he has a polyp in his sinuses that makes him cough, even when he isn't sick he constantly has a cough.) I am stuffed up too and my lungs feel tight, but I'm only using nose spray, not much else you can use when you are nursing. I guess I'd rather we all are sick now than when we go out of town for that wedding.

Hey, do you guys know what teas are ok to drink when you are nursing. I have also had a tough time going to sleep the last few weeks, I wonder if I can drink one cup of sleepy time tea before bed? I wouldn't if I knew it would harm Kaden...Hmmm, I wonder if it'd help him sleep too. LOL Kidding.

Kaden discovered his ear yesturday, he was laying in bed with me and running his hand down from his head to his face and would catch hold of his ear and play with it then start all over again finding it again.

Still no teeth in his mouth, and he doesn't move his tongue far enough out of the way long enough or me too see if any are in our near future either. Kiedy you are still nursing right? Can you feel the teeth when he is eating? And has he tried biting you yet? Kierra was weaned by the time she got her first tooth (she was a late teether...got her first tooth around 9 1/2 months) so I don't know what to expect, but I've heard when they do do it that you are to be stern with them and say "No!" and stop that feeding, they will learn very quickly that if they bite Mom that she takes the milk away so they don't do it again.

Well, I should go, my eyes are burning they are so tired, I had a nap after supper though so I don't know how quickly I'll fall asleep but it's worth a try.
    Talk to you all soon.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 02-03-2006 at 11:56 PM.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:37 AM   #307
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Kierrasmommy..I'd try the tea...I don't think it would harm Kaden..does he still nurse through the night? Even if he did it's not like he's going to be taking the same amt that you had I was sick awhile ago and because Troy slept through the night I had some neocitron...And when he got up the next morning to nurse nothing seemed to bother him.

Troy also has no teeth yet either...but i see a white mark!
    He's also starting to get a cold too..i had to suction his nose many times yesterday and this morning!

Happy Birthday Boo!

Hope everyone feels better and talk to you soon!
    S

m/c *angel* 10 weeks July/04
    IUI's-2 for bfp Sept 27/07

Old 02-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #308
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

S&J,
    Yes Kaden still gets up through the night most times every 3 hours but a couple times this last week he went a bit longer...the medicine can cause drowsiness so thats probably why.

Who was looking for an umbrella stroller? I saw one in the Zellers flyer today that has a multi-position reclining feature, protective canopy (shade), and a diaper bag. It's the "Avalon Deluxe Recline Stroller" on sale for $24.97 (reg $29.99)

Well, thats about it, I'm going to put Kaden down for a nap and go for one myself, this cold really has me drained...but when I go to bed at night I can't fall asleep. It took me about 2 hours to fall asleep lastnight.

Talk to you all soon.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #309
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Just a quick post...DH finally believes me that Kaden says "HI"
    I went for a nap this afternoon and when I got up DH was urging DS to say hi, so I asked if he had said it to him and apparently he did twice, so now he is a believer....bad thing is I didn't write down the first time he said it (so I can add it to his baby book) because I wasn't sure if he did or I was hearing things...I know roughly when it was so I'll guesstimate.

Well, gotta go, DS is trying his hardest to type too! Here...I'll let him try...

gbbbffff l;,.lmmnnnnb ijljuk hhv uhnb ,

LOL, he thinks it's a toy! Talk to you soon.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #310
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

Hi guys,

DH had a bad headache last night again, so again I had to take him to the hospital at 1am. Of course I had to wake up DS and bring him w/ us. DH may have mono. He's been sleeping all day. Hopefully we'll get some sleep tonight

I also had a hard time falling asleep. Lately I've been going to sleep at 1am or later. Drinking chamomile tea has been helping.

Kierrasmommy, I was looking for the umbrella stroller, I'll go check it out tomorrow. Hopefully the handels are long enough.

Oh, and yes DS bit me big time when he first started teething. He wouldn't do it while he was eating, b/c then the tongue goes forward and covers the teeth, but when he started getting full, or taking a break, he would take a clenching bite on my nipple. Talk about excruciating pain. It got better after 2wks and stopped all together after a month. But for a while I dreaded feeding him. It was hard to be mad b/c he would always smile upon hearing me scream. But yes, loud "NO" did work, it startled him. A nurse told me to also push him toward me, as soon as he bites, b/c then his nose gets covered by the breast and he automatically has to open his mouth to breath, but I tell you, that ONLY made him bite harder. I only tried that twice and then stopped for fear of losing my nipple.

I can't believe everyone is getting sick. I hope you guys are surviving ok. Oh, that so cute about Kaden saying "Hi". My DS is still limitted to dada and dadada and gigi. And of course lets not forget the high pitch scream.

Talk to you guys tomorrow.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #311
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Kiedy
    [Quote "....A nurse told me to also push him toward me, as soon as he bites, b/c then his nose gets covered by the breast and he automatically has to open his mouth to breath, but I tell you, that ONLY made him bite harder. I only tried that twice and then stopped for fear of losing my nipple." ]
    LMAO! You made me laugh out loud! DH must think I'm losing my marbles, laughing to myself all alone on the computer.

That's right your husband is the tall one, hope the stroller works for you, but I have a feeling most strollers have approximately the same length of handles...you may have to check a specialty baby store and see if they have or can order something that would work.

Well, once again I layed in bed wide awake for hours...I'm going to call that Health Link today and see if there is anything I can take or drink that is safe for when nursing. I was still so tired this morning that I changed Kaden's diaper and handed him off to DH and went back to sleep for another 1 1/2 hours. OH! Kaden slept from 10pm to 3:30am (5 1/2hrs) then he ate and slept until almost 7:45am (another 4 hours) then he ate and slept until 10:30 which is when he normally gets up for the day.... ....please let this be the start of longer sleep hours. He has a few more days of medicine to take then I guess we'll see if it lasts, or if this is all because he's sick.

Well, gotta go, talk to you all soon,

Old 02-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #312
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

Hey kierrasmommy, I got the stroller you suggested. I thought it was great b/c it reclines, I wasn't too crazy about the design/color but after 2days of using it I'm sure it won't matter. It was also on sale for $24, pretty good price. I just carried DS to the store in his car seat for the last time. I've been too lazy to install his big car seat, but today is the day. Thanks for letting me know. I was driving home, mad b/c I could't find a quarter for a cart at Safeway and had to drag DS all over the place, my arm was killing me, and then remembered what you mentioned.

Last edited by Kiedy; 02-05-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Old 02-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #313
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Hey Kiedy...
    Glad the stroller worked, I think I may go get it as well, it's nicer than the umbrella stroller we have now, that has no recline and no canopy. And it'd be alot easier to handle than Kaden's huge stroller.

I know what you mean about the shopping carts, Kaden's sense of balance isn't great yet, so I have to prop him up with Kierra's jacket on one side and mine on the other. But the other day when we were at the medicentre I was flipping through the Sears Catalogue (it was one of those smaller baby product catalogues) and I saw a thing for shopping carts that you slip over the handle and seat and the baby sits in it, I'd have to get a better look at it but it looks like it has some support and things for baby to grab...plus I'm sure it would be more sanitary than the shopping cart itself...and it would prevent the little one from always trying to eat that coin key thing that dangles down. Kierra was always trying to get that coin return thing, I now am very good at steering a full shopping cart with one hand (holding not only the handle but the coin return key as well), and with the other hand, either one handed shopping or holding baby upright....yeah...I think I see that cart seat insert in our near future.

Well, Kaden didn't sleep well at all lastnight. I think it's because I didn't give him as much solids yesturday...he has this rash under his mouth so I wanted to cut back on the babyfood and see if that helped, I'm sure it's just a drool rash but I want to be sure...today I will feed Kaden more solids(cereal) but I'm skipping the jarred food for a couple days to see if that helps.

That's all the news. I should go get some stuff done and make some calls while Kaden is napping. Talk to you all soon.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 02-06-2006 at 12:54 PM.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #314
    firsttimemom
    (female)

firsttimemom HB User

Hi guys, it has been a while since I have posted but I am on here every day reading everyone elses. I am sorry to hear that everyone has been getting sick. My DS had a little bit of a cold about 2 weeks ago but only lasted about 2 days. I still can't believe that almost 6 months have gone by already, it is amazing. My little one still isn't showing any signs of getting teeth yet but everything he gets his little hands on goes straight into the mouth. He is also doing the high pitch screaming and it makes me laugh everytime. They are so much fun at this age. Well I am glad to hear that everyone is doing well and I will continue to read everyday.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #315
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Hi all

Thanks soooooooooooooo much for your wishes my birthday was a quite one! but it was fun with Annaum, dh did not make an effort at all. Althoug we went out on Sunday and l got my hair cut and we went for a meal with Annaum. No pressies from him which was weird he reckons im tooo old WHATEVER! so l wont get him anything EVER AGAIN

I hope all your babaies r feeling better.

Spanish so glad to hear from youwhere have you been? yes l use an oil emoilment from the doctors and use non -bio fabric conditioner and powder, so what does the laundry ball do please?

I will get Annaum weighed this week, she has been weaning well. However, can not stick to her bed time its always around 9ish which is bad. Im planning to go back to work In April, mean husband is making me go. Joke!!! im not looking forward to going back. Anyway better go its nearly midnite and mean husband wants to use computer and he is going to push me off so better gooo xxxx heena !!!

Closed Thread