It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• What is Lyrica and is better than Neurotin???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2005, 11:08 AM   #16
    hubbardsfarm
    (female)

hubbardsfarm HB User
    Question Re: What is Lyrica and is better than Neurotin???

Hi gang,
    Just got off the phone with my pain manager and she had spoken with the Dr.'s at the University about the new drug.."L".....anyway, she said that they had tried it on a few patients and they had bad reactions to it and wanted off!
    They complained about feeling "HIGH" and didn't like it!
    I said, "I'll try it, give it to me!!!!"
    So, they have just called it in and I have to cut back on my Neurotin and when I am down to 2 a day, then they want me to start out with taking the Lyrica at bedtime...breakfast and lunch the Neurotin...
    Anyone else get that HIGH feeling or did you say that and because of the drugs I missed it? LoL...
    Thanks again for your help and support.
    Hubbard
    <><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #17
    deepsouth
    Inactive
    (female)

deepsouth HB User
    Re: What is Lyrica and is better than Neurotin???

Sansy has been having definite "impairment" but she went on methadone and Lyrica at the same time so we don't know if it's on or the other, or both. We're hoping it'll go away soon...one thing for sure: her pain is way down!

Robert

Old 10-27-2005, 03:03 PM   #18
    redeeminggrace
    (male)

redeeminggrace HB User

Hubbard,
    I have now been on Lyrica for about a week. I get the high feeling, to top it off, my heart punds and skips a beat or 10 when I take it together with Hydrocodone...I found that when I take them seperatly about 2 hours apart and with food I dont have the pounding and I feel better. the lyrica does removes some of the burning as does the hydrocodone...One more thing, halucinations...watch out for the little green men and their companions !!! truly mesmerizing...Its weird but they go away when I dont focus on them..Yeah Im going nuts but at least I have company..the little green guys..lol..anyway take care God Bless...Bernie

Old 10-28-2005, 02:51 PM   #19
    KarynLR
    (female)

KarynLR HB User

It's interesting that everyone has different instructions from their docs--that just surprises me! I saw my OS today and we had a good talk. He said he called his Lyrica drug rep specifically about me, and they thought this would be a good change from 1200 mg daily of Neurontin. It is more effective, is more readily absorbed, and in studies, while side effects are similar to Neurontin, people are more able to tolerate this drug.

Since we decided to go ahead, he had the cast tech call his drug rep, who said I should stop taking the Neurontin cold turkey, allow my body a 7-day "cleansing" of no nerve pain drugs, and then start right into the 3 daily doses of Lyrica. My doc wasn't happy with that (neither was I frankly), and told me cut down the Neurontin over a week or two, do the week cleansing, and then start with the Lyrica.

Hopefully it will help, and I feel that I will be closely followed because it appears that I am his guinea pig Will let you know how I feel after I've started!

Old 01-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #20
    (male)

brigus1@ns.symp HB User
    Question Re: What is Lyrica and is better than Neurotin???

My doctor just prescribed Lyrica for me to treat heavy pain due to Polycystic Kidney Disease ( PKD ) and I am not having too much suceess after about four weeks. Can anyone tell me what dosage thay are taking. I think it might be the low dosage of 75mg per day and they are working me up to a higher dosage. Thanks Rodg.

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-13-2006 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Redo name

Old 01-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #21
    Icebox45
    (female)

Icebox45 HB User

I stopped taking Neurotin for a lot of the same reasons as ya'll about 2 years ago and did not replace it with anything. I have a question? Is anyone taking Oxycotin with the Lyrica? If yes how is it going. I also take Oxycodone for breake thru pain and Valuim. I will be calling my Doc this week and talking to him about Lyrica. If anyone has anything else to offer please through it out here.

Thanks for all the help and info. I know it has been awhile since I was on, but I do read all the post.

I pray everyone has a pain free day!!! (at least as best you can!!)

Take Care
    Shay

Old 02-02-2006, 07:46 AM   #22
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

I've been taking Lyrica for about a week (75mg twice a day) and have just now gone up to 75 mg three times a day. So far I haven't noticed any obvious side effects, and I think it's helping. Has anyone been using it long-term and found it to be of continued benefit or does side effects overcome the benefits?

Linda

Old 02-02-2006, 11:25 PM   #23
    aicirtapo
    (female)

aicirtapo HB User

I started on Lycria two weeks ago, only 75 mg a day, and the first day I had no pain until about 4:00 p.m., but I misunderstood my doctors instructions and stopped taking the Neurontin and Clonazepam all together. The second day, I so much pain that I took 300 Neurontin and one Clonazepam - usually take six. Next day had to take 600 Neurtonin and two Clonazepam. Then after six days I woke up and was so dizzy I could hardly stand. Went to doctor right away. He said he thought it ws because I cut back the Clonazepam too quickly. He said I should take 75 mg Lyrica for two more days and 3/4 of my usual dosage of other drugs. Then take 150 Lyrica and cut to half of my other drugs. After two weeks, we will analyze the situation. Have done that today and am not dizzy. We shall see. Laura.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #24
    desultory
    (female)

desultory HB User

I don't know a whole lot about Lyrica, except I think it is made by the same people as Neurotin. I was on Neurotion for bipolar disorder for almost 4 years, and found that when I went off of it, i was very shaky for a couple of months.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #25
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

Hey Aicertapo:

So....have you followed the doctor's plan? How is it going with the Lyrica? I think it's actually really helping me. I had the first pain free evening last night in a long time (that's usually my worst time of day, and I always had to go to bed by 9:00 p.m it was so bad). Last night I actually "worked" until 10:45 p.m. - unheard of!

Old 02-04-2006, 01:56 AM   #26
    sleepyinIA
    (female)

sleepyinIA HB User

First I want to say, I am so glad that there is a sight for RSD/CRPS available. When I was diagnosed with it in May of '05, the devastation was incredible, not to mention the pain. I went throught this (and was also on the Neurontin...made me gain weight and I was very sick all the time) and then my shoulder began to hurt again. Two shoulder surgeries were the apparent culprit of my RSD in my right arm. I had another open-shoulder surgery and they removed a large bone spur in October. I haven't had any arm pain, stabbing or burning since. Perhaps I was mis-diagnosed? Any thoughts on this from anyone? After all the 'stellate ganglion block' injections I had to have, it's frustrating, however, if it was a false diagnosis, how would I know?
    Thanks for any advice anyone would have for me. ~sleepyinIA

Last edited by sleepyinIA; 02-04-2006 at 01:58 AM. Reason: wrong year put in for diagnosis

Old 02-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #27
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi SleepyinIA and welcome to the boards! This the best board that I have ever been on for RSD.
    To answer your question--It would be helpful to know how many blocks that you had. If they dx'd you in May 2005, and you had nerve blocks--before or after your surgery?--that your RSD could have gone into remission, which makes you very lucky I'm happy that since your surgeries to remove the bone spurs and your pain is gone is wonderful. But I don't think that they mis diaganosed you. If it is in remission, like we all want, it's possible that it could come back. I don't mean to worry you, but you need to be aware that it could. Just keep doing what you are doing that makes the pain go away, and keep checking this site. Again welcome and congrats! Aloha Skooze

Old 02-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #28
    aicirtapo
    (female)

aicirtapo HB User

I posted recently about Lyrica saying that I started it at 75 mg and quit taking my other drugs cold turkey. Wrong. Dizzy and just not thinking straight and the pain was relieved the first day but came back. Doctors instruction now are to take 2 Lyrica, one morning, one afternoon, and take 1/2 the gabapentin and 1/2 the Clonazepam I was on. Have done this for the past 4 days and am happy to say, very little pain left and it has also help with my arthritis pain so I take less Celebrex. I believe the plan is to do this for 2 weeks, go back and then I will take three Lyrica 75 mg and drop to 1/3 the other drugs and finally a week later i will stop them all together. Doctor says stopping the Clonazepam cold turkey for two days was what made me so dizzy. I am a little dizzier than usual right now but he says that will wear off once I get used to the Lyrica. Here's hoping. Laura.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:46 AM   #29
    melgus
    (female)

melgus HB User

Hello there peoples,
    Our experiences with the two drugs depend on the individual. I had the runs on neurontin and didnt with Lyrica, but the memory ditzy thing is worse on the lyrica with me! BUt it is the only side effect, I have to think harder! LOL I am studying at Uni whilst on this!!! Yes the memory thing does not help! Especially when your only 25 and trying to make a living!
    JUst remember some people react differently to different drugs. I went from 3600mg Neurontin a day to 600mg of Lyrica a day. (Both max doses) this is the only drug besides Trental I can tolerate, tried the opiod patches and I vomited very muchly and slept for about 36 hours!
    Glad to see some one enjoying some relief!

Mel

Old 02-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #30
    Sandson

Sandson HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgus
    Hello there peoples,
    Our experiences with the two drugs depend on the individual. I had the runs on neurontin and didnt with Lyrica, but the memory ditzy thing is worse on the lyrica with me! BUt it is the only side effect, I have to think harder! LOL I am studying at Uni whilst on this!!! Yes the memory thing does not help! Especially when your only 25 and trying to make a living!
    JUst remember some people react differently to different drugs. I went from 3600mg Neurontin a day to 600mg of Lyrica a day. (Both max doses) this is the only drug besides Trental I can tolerate, tried the opiod patches and I vomited very muchly and slept for about 36 hours!
    Glad to see some one enjoying some relief!

Mel
    Hmmm. So you had better results on Lyrica. That's interesting. When I ran Lyrica by docs they said that it is in the form of Neurotten. So with that in mind, I told them no way b/c I don't want to go through hell again. I guess all body types are different.

Closed Thread