It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• How many on Topamax?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #16
    jam17
    (female)

jam17 HB User
    Re: How many on Topamax?

A little update... Talked to the Dr that put me on the Topamax. He told me to space out (hmm good word usage) the BP meds and the Topamax and it's helping me with the shakes. I'm splitting them like an hour and eating something small, well at least drink a full glass of something coffee, juice, water. The main side effects that I had noticed: SPACED OUT. I am only on 100 mg a day 50mg in AM and 50 mg in PM and the morning dose I just feel so wierd... forgeting things, time is racing by, dizzy, just wierd. also I am VERY thirsty; my taste has changed, I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE diet pepsi, now it tastes flat and nasty, tried it twice and had someone else try it; and I have been able to remember my dreams ok i know that is odd i don't know if I just have not been dreaming in the last couple of months on the 2 Vicoden ES every night(even though I'm still taking them hmmm) but I can remember my dreams now.

The good news, I had a Toradol shot on Thursday(2/2) and my Lumbar pain has settled down a LOT. Now just to get rid of the tingling in my feet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #17
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

That's interesting about the taste change. After I'd been on Neurontin for several weeks, everything I ate started tasting like pepper - very strong pepper - so that I couldn't even eat it. After that I started getting severe burning in my mouth and all the way down into my stomache. It was pretty terrible. My doctors had never heard of that reaction. I think these doctors should have to try the medications they're prescribing to get an idea of what it's like to be on them.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:08 AM   #18
    rlsmas
    Inactive
    (female)

rlsmas HB User
    Smile Re: How many on Topamax?

I'd forgotten the taste problem. ALL green veggies developed a terrible metallic taste. I've had a taste prob w/ other AEDs, too. However it's been more a case of certain foods like coffee losing all their appeal (I used to drink a HUGE 32 oz. mug /day) & craving others as if I were pregnant! WEIRD

Old 02-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #19
    jam17
    (female)

jam17 HB User
    Red face Re: How many on Topamax?

OK just a question..Have any of you SEEN the listed side effects to this drug???? I'm not so sure if I want to be on it any more and I PLAN on speaking with my Dr regarding what I found out. I am putting this out here just as a precaution.. these are the "possible" side effects not definite and I found this in the 2002 RN Drug handbook 22nd edition. Page 432
    (not listing all or it will take a long time and a lot of pages)
    [B]CNS:[/B] (nervous system) Abnormal coordination; aggressive behavior; apathy; depression; difficulty with concentration, attention or memory; feeling of euphoria; possible tonic-clonic seizures; hallucinations; insomnia; speech problems; vertigo; fatigue; SUICIDE ATTEPTS;
    [B]CV:[/B]Cardio vascular) chest pain; palpitations
    [B]EENT:[/B] (ear, eye, nose, throat) Abnormal vision; eye pain; dry mouth; nausea; vomiting
    [B]GI: [/B] (gastro) Abdominal pain; diarrhea; constipation; dry mouth; flatulence; taste perversion; anorexia;
    [B]GU:[/B] (Urinary and Sexual) Menstrual side effects from having your period too much to not enough to too much; painful periods; UTI; hematuria; urinary incontinence
    [B]Respiratory:[/B] Bronchitis; Upper resp tract infections; coughing
    [B]Skin:[/B] Acne; alopecia; (balding) increased sweating; body odor; hot flashes; increased temperature; flu symptoms

I saved the best for last under Muscloskeletal they list BACK AND LEG PAIN...

Now "I" know (and I hope that you know) that this drug is mainly used for seizure patients. It has only been recently used for Migraines and even more recent what we use it for... the Neuro pain for sciatica or sciatica like leg or foot nerve pain or discomfort.

Use this as information... not as a war cry.. I just want everyone to know the truth ... if the drug helps you WONDERFUL.... WHO KNOWS it may be the wonder drug? I know I have been having some really strange side effects and I'm glad I got some answers.

Thanks for reading!! Good luck all !!

Jam

Old 02-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #20
    rlsmas
    Inactive
    (female)

rlsmas HB User
    Angry Re: How many on Topamax?

Hi, Jam ~

Yeah, I knew. However, that is what the neuro from h-e-double hockeysticks chose to put me one when too many years on the max dose of Ultram caused seizures! This guy wouldn't listen to [B]ANY[/B] of my complaints about side-effects, including gastric pain that could only be allayed by eating every 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Unfortunately, that's not the ONLY AED w/ nasty side effects. I've had taste changes w/ others, abdominal pain w/ all but Zonegran, and another [B]REALLY[/B] annoying one...smelling an "unwashed body" odor constantly (and it seems to be coming from [B]ME[/B]!!)

Now I must tell you, I [B]AM[/B] a clean person. I can't shower every day, as standing even that long is too painful. But I [B]DO[/B] sponge bathe daily & shower a couple of times a week. I think I'm using everything known to man to eliminate the odor, all to no avail.

I've been off the last AED almost 2 weeks; the taste, craving & odor problems have [B]NOT[/B] subsided.

I've decided that the side-effects are worse than the drugs! Since I only have leg pain when I stand or walk, & I'm able to do very little of either, I've d/cd the AEDs. (Yes, I know enough to taper off!) I'd rather live w/ the radiculopathy @ this point!

I wish w/ all my heart that someone would invent a pain med that didn't make me gain weight or have all these other side-effects. Life would be sooo much nicer!

Guess I've rambled long enough, but it does help to blow off steam about these things, huh!

Hope you all have a good rest of the weekend. Enjoy the Super Bowl, all you football fans...as for me, I'm going to watch a movie even though I don't live that far from Detroit!

Midge <><

Old 02-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #21
    JohnM61
    (male)

JohnM61 HB User

This thread brings up an interesting point. All medications have side effects. And every person will react differently. For me Topamax has been a lifesaver. I finally have a drug that gives me some relief from the chronic sciatica. Neurotin and Lyrica didn't work, whereas they have worked for others. Just because a drug has side effects listed does not mean a person will experience them, it just means somebody has had that side effect at some point. Likewise, not every doctor is adept at prescribing, especially for chronic spineys. In truth, some docs are down right ignorant about pain management. That is why finding an informed doc you can work with is paramount. So we cannot just discount a drug outright based on the experience of somebody else. Now I will get off my soapbox.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #22
    mkf
    Veteran
    (female)

mkf HB User

Hi - sorry it took me so long to respond again! I'm RSRUSH - just changed my username. I took Topamax for 7 months - it did help my nerve pain and I did loose some weight - maybe 25 lbs.

But, after that 7 months, I started having bleeding every time I brushed my teeth. I did some research and found that is a rare side affect from the Topamax. I asked my pm to take me off of it. After I came off of it I noticed a HUGE difference in my attitude. I think I was depressed while on it, however work was very demanding and I was still recovering from surgery.

I'm now looking at perhaps a fusion - won't know for a few weeks. But, I may try the Topamax again if they let me. It worked better for me than the neurontin, gabitril or lyrica. I would however, ask for an antidepressant with it.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #23
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

I have found that every anti-seizure medication I've tried has put me into a depression. I would say an anti-depressant is a must if you are on any anti-seizure meds.

Closed Thread