It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Over-Stimulated Ovaries and High Estrogen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
    Michael9
    (male)

Michael9 HB User
    Over-Stimulated Ovaries and High Estrogen

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this but I am hoping that you guys might be able to help my wife and I with some questions.

We have been ttc now for over a year since having a miscarriage in Nov 2004. Interestingly enough, we got pregnant while taking the BCP, now nothing is happening. Go figure...

Anyway, my wife started her first cycle of clomid this month and we just had a u/s today to check out the follicles. Today is day 13 of her cycle. During the u/s, the nurse thought everything looked great. There were 2 follicles in the left ovary and it looked like 4 or 5 in the right ovary. She also had some blood work done to check estrogen levels. We left the doctor's office feeling good.

My wife then received a phone call from the doctor's office wondering if she was feeling OK or if she was feeling any pain. They told her that her ovaries were over-stimulated and that her estrogen level was 4000. They immediately put her back on the bcp for one cycle and told her to call when she gets her period and hope that we don't get pregnant. This really is not the news we were hoping for.

Now for the questions: Is this normal with 50mg/day Clomid? Are there dangers with what appear to be super high estrogen levels? She has a history of cysts (just had surgery to remove one in Nov 2005) and we are wondering if she has another. I am not finding the doctors or nurses very helpful. Can anyone else help?

I am sorry for the long post, I am new to this... Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
    lelliott

lelliott HB User
    Re: Over-Stimulated Ovaries and High Estrogen

Hi Michael,

First off i'm sorry about your miscarriage. That must be horrible to go through.

When your ovaries are 'over working' they produce more follicles than they should, and your estrogen sky rockets. This could mean if you get pregnant you could have multiple babies. The follicle is where the egg resides so theoretically speaking your wife could have dropped like 7 eggs to be fertilized. Kind of depends on the size of the follicles if they were mature enough to drop an egg. Most docs say 16mm or higher is the size that is mature enough. Do you know what size they were? That is what they meant by hope you don't get pregnant...because of the risk of multiples...or that would be my guess on what they meant anyway. Many times with high levels of estrogen you get sick or have pain in the ovaries. My estrogen has been as high as 9000 without any side effects other than mood swings and hot flashes.

As far as cysts...i've never had those issues so i'm not sure if the level of estrogen is correlated with cysts or not. Shouldn't her ob/gyn be able to see that with an U/S? Was this her first time using clomid? The more follicles you have the higher your estrogen level can rise so it's probably possible for that dosage to create enough follicles to increase the estrogen. Although, 7 follicles really isn't a super amount. My estrogen level was 4000 with about 30 follicles during my last IVF cycle.

Sorry I rambled on more than helped I think, but if you need to talk more i'd be happy to try and help.

Baby Dust,
    Lorrie

37, DH 34
    TTC 8 years

BABY DUST TO ALL !!!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
    Michael9
    (male)

Michael9 HB User

Thanks Lorrie. That really helps a lot.

I think you are right about the multiple babies, they are hoping that the bcp will prevent that from happening IF we caught it in time. We'll keep our fingers crossed. I guess we are mainly upset because now that we are back on the bcp, it is going to be another 1 - 1 1/2 months before we can try again.

I am not sure what size the follicles were. They looked pretty large on the screen, but I guess that doesn't mean much.

It is her first time on Clomid and unfortunately her gyn did not do a baseline u/s before hand to see if everything was ok. We are just hoping that there is not another cyst.

Thanks again. Michael

Old 02-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
    lelliott

lelliott HB User

Taking BCP will shut down her follicle growth so hopefully he will do an u/s before you start on the clomid this time to see if there is anything there that shouldn't be. Actually I would request that he does one. When she goes in for her next follicle check I would suggest asking him how many follicles she has and what size are they. Anything higher than 16mm is desirable, but 20mm or greater is best. My obgyn always hoped to see 2 or 3 greater than 20mm.

It is extremely disappointing and frustrating everytime a cycle doesn't work out and you have to start over from scratch. We've been trying for 8 years now so we've had many of those moments and it's tough.

Keep Positive.

Baby Dust,
    Lorrie

37, DH 34
    TTC 8 years

BABY DUST TO ALL !!!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:07 AM   #5
    cmarie313
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmarie313 HB User

Michael, I am very sorry for your loss. I had a miscarriage in July and have been unable to get pregnant since, so I know how hard it is!

I was on clomid 50mg for 4 months and 100mg for 2 months (way too long on clomid). We also did 2 IUIs with the clomid (the last 2 months. I did get pregnant on the 50mg the second month. My originial doctor did not monitor me, big mistake! My new RE, which I started on the last month of clomid- did ultrasounds and bloodwork and showed that I had 3 follicles. Due to the clomid, my lining was thin and I did not get pregnant.

It is funny because all doctors have different quotas for how big they want the eggs. My doctor says anything between 18-20 is mature. If they get over 20 they say they probably won't fertilize?? So, I think that depends on each doctor. Now that I am done with the clomid we have moved onto injectibles. This will be my second month. Last month, I had 10 follicles and after the hcg trigger shot, 5 of the 10 follicles dropped!!! We did IUI. But, I did not get pregnant. I was so worried I was going to have 4 or 5 babies, and not one even worked.... so disappointing.

So, we will start the next cycle tonight and see what happens. When they tested my estrogen, it was not too high, even with the 10 follicles. So, I don't know if I helped any but, that is what I know. I do know that there is that Hyperstimulation syndrome of the ovaries, I am not sure if you can get that with clomid or not? Maybe your doctor is just trying to be cautious and make sure your wife doesn't overstimulate. Please keep us posted and I wish you the best!!!!
    cmarie

Closed Thread