It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Advair taken off the markets?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
    locibooka
    (male)

locibooka HB User
    Advair taken off the markets?

I am sure other people have heard this, but I just read that advair was almost taken off the market because of reverse effects in a small percent of people. my question is I have only taken advair for a little over a month and I want to stop taking it because of this, can I just stop out right? or do I have to gradually get off it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Advair taken off the markets?

I was taking it recently (50/250) twice a day for 3 weeks. I helped a bit, but I stopped because it was making me hoarse, and I don't want to gain tons of weight.

I don't think it is a dangerous medication (like Cipro, or Avelox). It's simply a steroid with a brochiodialator -pretty straightforward. Nevertheless, stuff like this should not be taken long-term.

I'm new to the world of asthma (allergy-induced), but I do NOT plan on becoming dependant on steroids. I'll deal with the shortness of breath, etc. rather than inflict long-term damage on my body.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
    storm12
    (female)

storm12 HB User

I don't have as much of the hoarseness on the 100/50 dose as on the higher doses. I am able to lose weight to some extent while on it, too, because it takes care of my asthma so well, that I can exercise a lot more than if I were not on it. For me, the good outweighs the bad at this time.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, if you are an adult with asthma it is never going to go away. So unless you want to have attacks all the time and live on albuterol (the side effects of which outpace the steroids any time), them you'll have to stay on some inhaled steroid.
    Have you asked about Flovent? It's lower dose...

Old 01-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #5
    staircar
    (female)

staircar HB User

wait.. does advair really cause weight gain? I took it once and didn't get that side effect. Actually, I didn't really get any side effects (except I didn't really like taking it.)

Did the thing you read say what kind of reactions people had to it?

Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
    PinkPiglet
    Veteran
    (female)

PinkPiglet HB User

I have three kids that have used Advair for a number of years and they have had no side effects, definately no weight gain.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User

My daughter has been on Advair now for a month, and I had this discussion with the Ped. Pulmo. about Advair, because i had heard such negative things about it, I did not want my daughter to take it. According to the Ped. Pulmo. Advair has such a low dose of steroid, that barely any gets into the body, most of it it absorbed by the lungs, as it is supposed to ( to reduce inflammation ), and therefore there are really no long term effects to taking it. She gave me numbers and statistics, but I can't really remember those right now. There should be no weight gain or any of that as a direct result of advair.

Now I am sure that doesn't mean that there are ABSOLUTELY no side effects, but that there generally are not. As you stated locibooka - a SMALL percentage of ppl had adverse effects. Everybody is different, and will react differently to different meds. What is right for you, might not be right for your neighbor.

Advair is the only drug that has helped bring my daughters asthma under control. It has a long acting bronchiodialator - salmiterol and the steroid - fluticasone combined. And it is shown in studies that advair is safer than either of those two drugs taken seperately.

Sorry locibooka - I don't really know the answer to your original question... I just thought some more info would be of help... although I cannot see a problem with you to stop taking advair, although if I were you I would, as previously mentioned, ask to be put on flovent or a similar med... to maintain control of your asthma... advair is better than taking a short acting bronchiodialator such as albuterol, as albuterol has to be taken more often and can have more side effects....

Last edited by Angela22F; 01-13-2006 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Typos and forgotten information.....

Old 02-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #8
    acprivra
    (female)

acprivra HB User

I think that the advair is not supposed to cause weight gain but other steroid medications like prednisone can because they cause hyperactivity and increased appetite. I wouldn't worry about the advair causing weight gain though.
    As for the hoarseness . . . do you make sure to rinse out your mouth really well? I had the same problem at first, but the thorough rinsing seemed to help well.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

Advair is the only things that has helped with my asthma. It has increased my lung capacity. I only take mine once a day though. I am on the 250/50 dose and taking it twice a day did give me some unwanted side affects. I am able to do just as well taking it once a day. My doctor knows this and he said if that works for me then keep doing it. But the other post was right. We are all different and what works for one person may not for another. Good luck, Cindy

Old 02-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chiggins1066
    I do NOT plan on becoming dependant on steroids. I'll deal with the shortness of breath, etc. rather than inflict long-term damage on my body.
    Taking the steroids will not make you dependent on them. They will just help your symptoms. When you stop taking them, they will stop helping your symptoms and you will go back to the way you were.

You should be more worried about asthma causing long-term damage to your body than medications. Untreated asthma with wheezing and coughing and all that will cause long-term damage to your lungs. Taking inhaled steroids has not been shown to cause any damage.

The danger that you might have heard about with advair doesn't have to do with long-term damage. Instead, some people are sensitive to one of the ingredients in advair, and in them, advair can cause an asthma attack. But if you aren't one of those rare sensitive people, there is no danger in taking advair. The medication is delivered in a small dose directly to the lungs, so it is not really absorbed into the body in an amount large enough to cause systemic side effects. This is different from prednisone, which is a steroid in a pill form, and has all kinds of side effects.

If you need the steroids in order to breathe and rely less on your rescue inhaler, then take them. And definitely don't stop (or start) any medication without talking it over with your doctor.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #11
    MandyPandy
    (female)

MandyPandy HB User

THis is the first I have heard about Advair almost being taken off the market. With any medications there can be side effects. I do think that I have gained some weight since i have been on it but i guess it's worth it if it helps my lungs. My doctor did say that it can cause yeast infections of the throat so it's important to gargle water after using it.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #12
    sowhat628

sowhat628 HB User

I took advair for a short while and quit. I might have gained weight from it but lost it from all the exercise I got from rolling around in pain from intense all over muscle spasms.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:50 AM   #13
    Buffalo Gal
    (female)

Buffalo Gal HB User

I was on a low dosage of Advair, but it caused both my ankles to swell, almost within 24 hours of the first dosage. Walking was starting to hurt. I stopped it, but had a bad asthma attack some weeks later. Dr. put me on Pulmicort, which has (knock wood) not given me any side effects, and has helped a great deal.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #14
    hrtprice
    (female)

hrtprice HB User
    Post Re: Advair taken off the markets?

Check out medications.com, and look up Advair side effects. It's a real eye opener, especially when you're told that all your side effects are in your head!

Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #15
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I recently had my annual check up with my immunologist and asked him about all this to-do over Advair. His comments were very enlightening. According to him, when they investigated these issues, it was found that in African Americans something (I forget what he said here) in the Advair does not bind properly due to their genetics. If you take out all the African Americans who had adverse side effects to Advair, you end up with the same percentage of users of other asthma products (pulmicort, flovent, etc) who have reactions. Therefore, in non-African Americans the instance of side effects remains rather static across the baord for all such medications. He said he is very cautious when prescribing these meds to African Americans as a result.
    Interesting.

Closed Thread