It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Cereal at 1 month??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User
    Cereal at 1 month??

This is regarding my SIL. Her 1 month old doesn't sleep through the night and she is dying for a night of sleep. She feeds her 1 mo old DD 3 ounces of cereal every 3 hours, yes she is on a schedule. I believe her baby weighs about 10lbs. Anyway, she asked her doctor what she should do. Instead of suggesting giving more formula, her doctor said to start her on cereal. Now, quite a few things have made me wonder about my SIL's parenting style, but now I think its her doctor telling her all of this stuff. (You can read more at "I'm in some trouble.") I was told not to start cereal until 4-6mos, preferrably 6mos. Could this not bother the baby's stomach? I know my mom said she was told to give my brother cereal when he was 2 wks old (he's 30 now) but as she had the rest of us the rules changed. Of course years ago they didn't have the studies they do now regarding baby care.
    Also, with SIL out of work for mat leave, the money situation is a bit tight (she makes a healthy living and they made some big purchases b4 the baby). Now, she is planning on staying off a bit longer without any pay at all. So, to make cuts, they have turned off their heat and use little heaters in the rooms they spend most time in. They have a big house so the propane heat was expensive. Its freezing cold there, they dress the baby in cute outfits with no onsies or blankets.

Has anybody else been told to give baby cereal so early? I know for a while I would feed DS like crazy at night in hopes of a full nights sleep, but it never worked. Why would a doctor say feeding cereal would help? Should I suggest she get another doctor? Also, how in the world can I get through to her regarding dressing the baby? I know everyone parents different, but is this lack of knowledge or stupidity?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
    All Star Mom
    (female)

All Star Mom HB User
    Re: Cereal at 1 month??

MMMMM, one month..cereal...? I dunno abouth that. But everyone is diffefent. I just started cereal this week, and my son is 2.5 months old. I only give it to him at night before bed, and I give him 1 teaspoon of cereal per 4 ounces. I have not told anyone on my family this though, because I know that my MIL would freak out. Especially if she knew he was taking his cereal in his bottle. Alot of people do not think it is "polite" to feed them cereal out of a bottle, saying that they have to strain too hard to get the cereal out. But for the ceereal bottle, I moved up to a stage 2 nipple which makes it flow out with ease. So, anyway my point is, people will not always agree on when to start the cereal, you have to just make sure the baby agrees with it, and it doesn't upset his stomach. The baby is the most important thing. Which goes to the next subject. These people should get their priorities straight about their finances. If you can afford a big house you should be able to afford the proper utilites, if not, then its time to move on to a more appropriate home. Thats just my opinion. Its dangerous using those little space heaters, you never know what can happen, and its not worth losing a home and lives over a few dollars! Again, this is just my opinion. People live different, and have different morales. Best of luck to them, and to you for having to carry this burden and worry.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
    jenn.e
    Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

A few comments on your post
    My SIL fed her baby cereal in his formula also when he was a newborn although I personally didnt agree, he is just fine and healthy today (7 mos), But really big!!!

Also, those little portable heaters suck up tons of energy. We tried those one month and after we got the electric bill $$$ we went back to the house heater.

1 month old babies just dont sleep through the night. Well of course, some do, but most dont. My little one is nine mos and still wakes up to eat 2-3 times. I have tried the cereal in the milk and all sorts of things but the doc says it has nothing to do with their bellies its just how their brains develop.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User

If she is giving him cereal, it is very watered down. Babies can't swallow guey cereal at that age yet. His stools will be bigger and could end up with constipation if not careful.
    Tell your SIL that she stopped getting a good nights sleep at about 7 month pregnant. Unless someone else gets up with the baby, she won't get any sleep for quite some time.
    Congratulations to both of you, BTW!

Last edited by MommaBee; 02-28-2006 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Wrote the wrong word in the second sentence. Should have been "Can't" swallow

Old 02-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
    Valerie_s
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Valerie_s HB User

I say iof the dr said too, I guess go with it, I mean he is the one that went to medical school. I have a friend who gave both of her kids cereal at 6 weeks old, personally I will wait and did with all my other kids until 4 months at least...I guess she should follow dr's instructions. It really isnt going to make a diference whether or not the baby sleeps and if the baby does sleep its only because he is so full it makes him feel sleepy and awful...I hate that full feeling, lol...you know that after thanksgiving dinner feeling...blah!

Old 02-28-2006, 06:40 AM   #6
    DontAsk
    Inactive

DontAsk HB User

I gave our son cereal at 2 weeks in the bottle per the Dr cause he was eating 6oz every 2hrs. Well today he is 4 months and has been having rice creeal with fruit for breakfast, veggies for lunch and rice with another fruit for dinner, along with bottles since he was 2.5 months! He LOVES it!!(I also mix oatmeal instead of rice too, he likes the rice but LOVES oatmeal!) He never even made a face!

Last edited by DontAsk; 02-28-2006 at 07:35 AM.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

it's strongly recommended that cereal not be given to babies until 4-6mo b/c
    1) their system is not ready for it,
    2) feeding cereal in bottle leads to overfeeding as baby gets same volume but significantly higher calories
    3) recent studies show kids fed cereal/solids before 4mo are much more likely to be overweight as adults than children only bottle/breastfed until 6mo.
    4) feedig cereal is recommended only using spoon as a seperate meal, again so that baby has a chance to stop when full.

We have to remember that our parents and some older doctors may give advice that was fine 20-30 yrs ago, but since then a lot of research has been done and new information discovered. I would tell this to your SIL and recommend that she gets second opinion and extra help. Just tell her that you've been doing some reading on line and only want what's best for her DD. Tell her that soon, DD will start sleeping better and she doesn't have to overfeed her child, which will not help anyways, and only do harm long term.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
    samantha1982
    (female)

samantha1982 HB User

yes, i give my baby cereal, but for medical reasons, not because i want him to sleep through the night. being a parent is about sacrifice, be it sleep, money or whatever other reason.
    a one month old baby cannot regulate their body temperature. so she should be wrapped up in a blanket or wearing a heavy sleeper.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-28-2006 at 01:47 PM. Reason: stay on topic please

Old 02-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I am so happy to hear some opinions that are the same as mine. Not that I don't like the different opinions, but I was always told nothing but breastmilk or formula until 4-6mos. She hasn't given the cereal yet, that I know of, but she was planning on it if she could get more sleep. I haven't been there, but I am traveling down in a week. I am staying with them so anything I see I will definetly comment on. I am not my Mother, she is in a bit of a situation and doesn't want to be "that" mother in law. I feel for the baby because she can't do anything for herself. The main reason my SIL doesn't want to feed her but every 3 hrs and the minimum amount is so she doesn't get overweight. She has commented on my baby being overweight and doesn't want hers to have rolls like he does. My baby is 17lbs at nearly 4mos. I think he is healthy and strong. He's also 91 percentile all around, so he's not fat.
    What do you do? Some people just don't listen and want to do things their way. That's okay, everyone is different at parenting, but I think her views are uncomfortable for the baby.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MommaBee
    If she is giving him cereal, it is very watered down. Babies can't swallow guey cereal at that age yet. His stools will be bigger and could end up with constipation if not careful.
    Tell your SIL that she stopped getting a good nights sleep at about 7 month pregnant. Unless someone else gets up with the baby, she won't get any sleep for quite some time.
    Congratulations to both of you, BTW!

I realized that I wrote "can" instead of "Can't" swallow guey cerial at that age yet. Children CAN'T swallow anything but liquid at 1 month old and so solids should be mixed with milk. And it should only be the amount/size of a baby spoon full, that should be added to the formula. It really is a very little amount, but can make the difference in his hunger.
    Sorry for the mistake!

Old 03-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roxyfoxy
    The main reason my SIL doesn't want to feed her but every 3 hrs and the minimum amount is so she doesn't get overweight. She has commented on my baby being overweight and doesn't want hers to have rolls like he does.
    Yiles! Now that would worry me more than anything at all. Babies should not be on diets!. All babies get a bit tubby before they start moving, then once they are on the go they lose it again. My DD is just under the 50th centile and she has plenty of rolls, it's just the way babies are! Babies need loads of calories and lots of fat, it's essential for their brain development. She really doesn't need to worry about her DD's weight at this stage. When she's weaning and older then fine, make sure she gets healthy food and exercise when she's old enough to run around, but for goodness sake babies should be allowed to eat as much as they want when they want. Unlike adults they only eat because they are hungry, not because they are bored or out of habit etc.

Spanish

Last edited by moderator2; 03-01-2006 at 01:56 PM. Reason: fix and close code tag

Closed Thread