It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• August Moms/August Babies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 PM   #361
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User
    Re: August Moms/August Babies

Kiedy, I do the same thing with my son. The instant we start out on a walk he is fast asleep. Sometimes if it's cold out, I'll just walk up and down our short street, then bring him in the house in the stroller once he is out. Sometimes, I even just walk around the kitchen in the stroller just to get him to go to sleep!! If we have gone outside, I am so worried that he will overheat, when we come back inside, as he is all bundled up in his snowsuit. I wouldn't dare risk waking him to take it off though! He always sleeps real good after a fresh air walk also.

Boo, good for you for going to the exercise class. The more you laugh, the more calories you probably burn off! I keep meaning to look into some yoga classes. I keep saying, I'll just do it at home. So I'll be good and do it for a few days, then, oops, forget for a couple of weeks. Then before I know it back to square one. Very frustrating.

Joanne, welcome home. The snow angel pics sound real cute...think I might try that!

Last edited by Laur77; 02-23-2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2006, 11:13 PM   #362
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Hi Guys,
    Just a quick post, I am so drained from all this travelling over the last week that I think I will head to bed early again tonight...I even went for a nap this afternoon but I'm still yawning as if I haven't slept in days.

Well, Kaden has a stuffy nose again. He isn't coughing or anything just stuffed up, it started at my parents place, I assume because my parents have a wood stove that they use to keep thier heating bill down, and because my Mom is menopausal, she is always cold and keeps the stove going non-stop. I was able to convince her to keep it a little cooler than normal in the house but it was still hot. There was a point that I had Kaden in a diaper shirt and Kierra was wearing her shirt and panties because it was so warm it felt like a summer heat wave. And, since Kaden has started being stuffed up he hasn't had his normal appetite, so my breasts are very full. He will eat but he doesn't eat much at all, so I know he isn't emptying the milk ducts, I can feel the full ducts and they are tender. No signs of mastitis yet but I think I may call Healthlink and see what they suggest to make sure I don't get it. He still eats his cereal though, I'm sure because it's easier to eat that and breathe than it is to suck and breathe. I just hope he gets his appetite back soon. I know at night he nurses better because he is sleepy so he just lays there and nurses, but during the day alot of times he sucks for a minute then gets mad then sucks some more and gets mad and it's like a cycle until he gets so mad he won't latch on again. I am thinking it is a combination of being sick/stuffed up and pressure on his gums. I'll add that to my list of things to talk about at the pediatricains appointment on Wednesday.

I got him weighed today and he weighs 19lbs 4 & 1/2oz and he is 6 months and 3 days old. I can't belive how fast that went by, a half a year already! I think he is starting to slow down on the weight gain now that he is more active and burning off some of his weight. He jumps like you would not beleive in his jolly jumper and exersaucer, and he rolls alot. He is also rolling all over the place now. He doesn't go all over the room, but I put him on his floor mat and he immediatly starts rolling and eventually he is off the mat and making his way closer to other more intersting things to see...I don't think he realizes he can actually move to these objects or that he actually is doing it...I just think he rolls one way and rolls again the other way and gradually moves himself from place to place...yesturday he moved himself completely off his mat about 3 feet away from where I had layed him.

Well, I should go.

Talk to you all soon.
    Joanne.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 02-23-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #363
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Joanne,
    I'm sorry to hear that Kaden is sick Troy has a cold now..he's had a runny nose before and a little dry cough but this time I can hear his chest when he coughs and today he just wanted to be held. Everytime I'd put him down to sleep he'd wake up crying which is unusual..so i just held him and felt sorry for him I hope Kaden can start to nurse soon!
    And, that's sooo awesome that's he's rolling around everywhere!oh yeah and
    I'm changing my signature that's like yours! It takes up less room!

I hope everyone is doing great! How are the feedings going and teething and sleeping and bowel movements..everything??

Troy officially has 2 teeth! It's amazing how they just pop right through...first they were little razor blades and now they're 2 little teeth!!

I wish I could join a gym or do something active..I'm from a small town so all i do is go for walks or if the mood strikes me use the elliptical. Maybe when the weather gets nicer I should look into activities there. Areboics sounds great!

Well i should head to sleep..I have a feeling Troy will be up a few times through the night.

Take Care everyone!
    S

m/c *angel* 10 weeks July/04
    IUI's-2 for bfp Sept 27/07

Last edited by S&J; 02-24-2006 at 08:09 PM.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:51 PM   #364
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

S&J
    That is so cute about those 2 teeth. I can't wait to see Kaden with some teeth poking through his big smiles, I looked in there again tonight and nadda tooth in sight.

Kaden is better thanks. Like I mentioned he does nurse better through the night because he's too tired to fidget or play or argue, so he was able to empty the milk ducts. He still fights a bit with it during the day especially if his nose needs to be suctioned, otherwse I'm convinced it's his gums that are bothering him. He still has some boogers though, but today I had really good suctioning success (got lots of it out of him...sorry if TMI) so I'm sure he'll be back to normal in a couple days...I swear it was the outdoor temperature drop in combination with the heat wave inside my parents house that caused this.

How are you all doing with trying finger foods? I tried giving Kaden a cheerio a couple weeks ago and he didn't gum it very well, so I haven't done it since, Kierra was so good at eating them, but I don't know how old she was when she first started. Over the last week I have given Kaden the teeniest bits of bread off whatever I may be eating and he is getting so good at chewing and swallowing it. I bought puff wheat too but haven't tried that, I think that may be too hard for him still...sooo my mouth is watering thinking about making chocolate puffed wheat squares instead.

I too wish I could do something for exersize, but I find our schedules are so hectic. I did look into joining the YMCA but when I found out that their day care centre is closed during the times I would have wanted to be working out I decided the cost of joining wouldn't be worth it if I can't work out on my schedule. It would work for those Mom's who (have and) are early risers themselves though. The daycare is open during the mornings until 2pm I think, then from 2-6pm they are closed...considering normally the kids wake up between 10:30 and 11, by the time we ate breakfast, showered, got dressed and prettied up(well a bit of makeup and hairspray anyway) then I got the kids ready...and by then it would be time to feed Kaden again so after that by the time I got down to the gym I would be lucky if I could work out for an hour before the day care closed...and whats the point? I wouldn't work out at night because we do the family dinner thing then it's usually cleanup and playtime then bath and bedtime. And weekends we are usually busy as well since those are DH's days off. So for now I just take the kids for a walk when I can, alot of times we multitask and are shopping as well. It will be nice when the weather warms up alot more and we can enjoy walks more often.

Kadens sleep has been a bit off since all the travelling we did. He normally would sleep in until 10:30 or 11 but the last 2 days (and on our trips as well)he has been up by 8 or 9. He did take a 2 1/2 hour nap today and another nap in the afternoon, which was nice considering he didn't nap very well on our travels. I'll let you guys know in a day or 2 how he is doing...I plan on using one of those sleep charts for a couple days before his pediatrican appointment so I can have the Dr evaluate his sleeping patterns....and tell me why he won't sleep more than 4 1/2 hours at a time!

Kaden and I had a bath tonight and he was so funny, he was splashing the water with both hands with the hugest grin on his face.

Well, I should go. Talk to you all soon.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #365
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Troy didn't take the puffed wheat or cheerios very well either. I tried the mum mums rice crackers and the baby cookies..he does ok if we're holding it for him so i'm going to wait a few more weeks to try again!
    Troy was up all night last night..he would only sleep in bed with me(dh was on nightshift) I don't want Troy getting used to that so everytime he would fall asleep i put him in his crib..he would sleep for almost an hour and then be up crying..I tried the soother..patting..rubbing and nothing worked! I did nurse him once...b/c of his cold. I don't know..should I have let him continue sleeping with me or what?
    I was a frustrated mommy last night and I feel soooo bad!

I'm torn between holding him to sleep and trying the CIO thing again. Some nights he's great but others he's not..anyways i put him down for a nap and he's crying up a storm
    ttyl
    S

Old 02-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #366
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Kaden had a bad night as well, and I too was frustrated but more at DH for just sleeping through it and not getting up and trying so I could sleep. I think Kaden gets more stuffed up at night because he's laying down so he doesn't sleep as well, I had to suction his nose twice through the night.

We tried the baby cookies once and Kaden loved them but he just kept breaking off pieces so more of it went in the garbage than anywhere else. I remember when my sisters kids were babys they had teething cookies that were the best! They looked alot like the teething cookies we have now but they were rock hard and couldn't be broken and pieces couldn't be bitten off, they had to gum them to melt off cookie. They no longer make them like that now though.

Well, I should go jump in the shower, I made DH get up with the kids so I slept in a bit. Then I read the paper and flyers, had something to eat then did the dishes, unloaded the dishwaser and loaded it back up again did some laundry stain removal and switched the load of laundry...all that but I still look like I just rolled out of bed, so I guess I better fix that. LOL
    Talk to you all soon.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #367
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

Hi guys,

It seems like it's been a week since I've visited the site. DH and I were busy looking at a house that we were interested in buying but the offer fell through at the end. We had a chance of buying it, but at the end backed out b/c it needed to be gutted inside completely, so we thought, what are we doing, DH works full time, and DS needs a lot of attention. We added some shelves in our closet and it took us 2 days, b/c every so often you have to stop to look after DS. It was still sooo disappointing, I felt so down, that again, nothing.

DS got his 1st out of 4 top teeth. Yey, that's 4 already all together, it'll be so cute once it errupts more and there will be a tooth on top showing when he'll smile. He is still cranky, but sleeps well. 2 days ago i was getting so tired from the constant attention that he needs during the day, so I decided to try CIO. He was waking up more, and NOTHING would console him back to sleep, he wanted to play, at midnight, 2am, 4am or 6am, and I had enough. He is 7mo already. So I told my husband to use earplugs and NOT go to his rooms when he cries (which he's done in the past) and only made things worse.

He woke up at midnight, and cried for about half hour I think. It wasn't constant, he would cry for a minute or two and stop for maybe 5min. Couple times it got really bad, but mostly it sounded like whining. I tried this couple times for afternoon naps, when he was 4-5mo, but it was horrible he scream continuesly for 2hrs.
    I tried it couple times again now in the afternoon, and noticed that he would fall asleep after about 20min of crying, so I thought it was worth a try at night. Last night was the second night, and he slept through without waking up at all. I hope this continues.
    I know that I was lucky that he didn't cry that long. But i decided not to go in to check on him, like some methods suggests (after 5min, than 10, 15, 30, 45min). I think that would make it worse for him (false hope)

Kierrasmommy, when DS was sick, I used saline drops into his nose, it unplugged it really well. I would put a drop before each feeding which helped his w/ breastfeeding b/c he wasn't so plugged up, and b/f sleep.

S&J, when DS was sick, DH slept on the couch and i slept w/ DS in bed together for 2wks. It wasn't hard to switch back and it made nigths soo much easier when he was waking up all the time. I think it didn't turn into a habit b/c everything was different, not just sleeping w/ you (he wasn't feeling well, eating well, etc)

Hope you all had a better weekend.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #368
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Kiedy...
    Is this considered CIO?
    The last couple of nights I've put Troy down at 8ish after nursing and he makes a few little whimpers and then falls asleep. At midnite he woke up crying I waited 5 min and then went in and gave him his soother..he did this 3 more times. I know he wasn't hungry so I thought maybe he was thirsty so I gave him some water in his sippy cup. I didn't pick him up i just sat him up. He then cried and I went in every 3-5 mintues to give him his soother. After about 45min of going in every 3-5 min I went in and gave him his soother and then he just fell asleep. I think he was only crying because the soother kept falling out.
    I remember being so against CIO..i thought i had to just let him cry and not go in..but i see that it's ok to go in and reassure him that everything is fine...I'm also starting with his naps..he whimpered for about 20 min before falling asleep. I gave him his soother and patted his bum and he closed his eyes and is still sleeping.
    Is this considered CIO or is there a different term?

ttyl!
    S

Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #369
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Hi,
    Kiedy,
    I have been using the saline drops too, his nose seems to be getting better now, but I still took him to the dr yestuday because he had a fever and we found out he has a bit of an ear infection, I didn't realize ear infections were contagious...he always asked when Kierra went in with ear problems or colds if she was in day care and then yesturday asked if Kaden was in day care as well or had any siblings. I told him I figured DS got sick because of all the travelling then how hot my mom keeps her house and he said it probably didn't help but the ear infection was caused by a virus he likely caught from Kierra. So he is on antibiotics now, and infant Advil for the fever.

That is so cute that your DS has 4 teeth, I'm still waiting for Kaden's first one. But I'm not thinking it'll be very soon. Kierra was over 9 months old when she got her first. And the last time Kaden let me see his gums they didn't look like there was any action going on in there. He lets me rub his gums but when I try to look in there he sticks his tongue out all over the place so I can't see anything.

Sorry about the house falling through, but I agree that it probably would be better to get something a bit less work, especially when you think that very soon our babies will be sleeping less and crawling and walking before long. I know how much work renovations are and I couldn't imagine feeling as tired as I am, dealing with the kids and trying to get renovations done....the house would be in renovation stage for years! LOL

S&J,
    Yes, thats the start of CIO, I read a book along time ago that mentioned to start doing that, then gradually increase the time increments that it takes before you go in to console baby. I did that with Kierra, not sure how old she was, but I couldn't be as strict as the book suggested...they suggested the very same night to increase the time increments, I did it over a matter of weeks, the first few days I'd go in after 5 minutes, then the next few days I'd go in after 8 minutes and so on, it took longer but I felt better. I'm such a softie. I know I'm going to have to start doing this with DS but I am so not ready, I mean I am ready for the sleep aspect of it after the fact, but not for the tiredness that I'm sure I will have during the process, and I just am not looking forward to hearing him CIO, it's going to break my heart.

I keep forgetting to tell you all. We went grocery shopping last week and there was a stand of "No Fat Fudge Brownie Mix" the brand name is "No Pudge" all you do is add yogurt and bake. I tried it out because I am a chocoholic who is in serious withdrawal(I haven't been eating as much chocolate, and I definately feel very strong cravings), but I've been trying to watch what I eat more now to lose some extra weight. And I was surprised at how good they were. They were just a gooey and chocolatey as regular brownies! I bought them from Sobeys (IGA) and I definately plan on stocking up on more. I think I'm going to get some frozen vanilla flavoured yogurt ice cream too so I can have it with the warm browines. YUMMMMMMM

Kaden said "Da" today, I don't think he knew what it was but thats the first time he pronounced it. DH will be glowing when I tell him.

Well, I should go. Talk to you all soon,

Old 02-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #370
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

S&J

yes what you're doing would be considered CIO, there are many ways of doing it and going in after a period of time of crying is considered to be a gentler and newer way of CIO. From what I understand, the reason why they recommend that you increase the intervals of when you go in to reassure him, so that he doesn't learn that after crying for 5 min you will always come in. By going in every 5,10,15,30min etc, you're letting him know that you're there and he's safe but by increasing the interval you're also telling him that crying will NOT be rewarded by you coming in so it's not worth crying.

Like I said with my son I felt that I had to go cold turkey and no go in, especially that like you I found that around nap times he woud cry for about 20min and then fall asleep.

It's been three days now since I did it, and he continues to sleep through the night, YEY!!! It was funny, b/c this morning I woke up to him crying and thought "oh, no, he didn't sleep through the night", so I waited couple of minutes to see if he would settle down, but he was getting louder and louder so I checked the clock to see what time it was, ONLY to discover that he DID sleep all night and it was 7am and time to get up, lol.

Now the only trick will be to figure out how I can get him to sleep until 8am, lol.

Kierrasmommy, DS's voice sounded kind of raspy yesterday and I was worried that he may be getting a cold too, but so far so good. Too bad about the ear infection, but at least the doc caught it in time b/c it got bad. I should definitly look for those Brownies, I often find that the ready ones are often waay too sweet even for me. Oh, and congratulations on the 'da' from your son, I'm still patiently waiting for anything close to "ma", i think once he said "na", but that's it.
    You're right about the house, so now we're thinking about building, our friends did it, and they didn't have to do a thing adn the house was ready in 4mo, and it was cheaper than buying that same house old.

Oh well, should go look at some house plans, talk to you soon,

Old 02-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #371
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Kiedy,
    Kaden has only said "ma" 3 or 4 times, I don't think he knows he is saying it though. The only word I know he knows he's saying is "Hi", because he'll say it and look at us and if we say it back he gets all excited and smiles, it's like he is thinking, "Finally! We are actually speaking the same language here!" LOL
    Well, I gotta go, talk to you again soon...congratulations on deciding to build, that will be exciting! And DH will still have the basement to "renovate" unless you get the builders to finish the basement too.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #372
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User

Kiedy, we have just gone through building a house, and my husband did the contracting himself while working full time at his day job. It has been so hectic and stressful. It was supposed to be finished in September, and it is still on-going (all though we did at least get to move in in November). Are you planning on getting a builder to do it? I would highly recommend that!

Logan hasn't said any words yet, all though he sounds like he says "good" all the time. He just keeps babbling it. So we say, "Logan how are you?" And he says good good good good good.

I think he is getting separation anxiety. He will be playing away no problems, but if I go into the kitchen for a minute he starts screaming like he is being murdered. As soon as I come back, he is all smiles. It gets very frustrating. I don't even want to pee as I know I will have to listen to that! Anyone else dealing with it? I try to stay calm, and don't rush back to him right away. I am hoping to get him to realize that screaming won't work. When I do come back into the room, I don't look at him right away, and busy myself with something else. I don't know if it will work, we'll see! It's not me specifically he wants, he's happy as long as someone is around him.

He also has a cold right now, as does my husband, and I think mine is coming as I have just been feeling dead to the world today. Aren't these fun times? I was wondering if the saline drops you get are specific to babies? I asked my hubby to ask the pharmacist today when he went to the store. When he got home I asked if he got any, and he said, oh oops no. Well thanks. Our poor child won't even take a bottle cause he can't breathe, but you forgot! We live in the boonies, so half an hour to any store that would have anything like that. Oh well, I'll give him a bit of a guilt trip tonight, and maybe he'll learn????

Old 02-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #373
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Hello!
    OK...so i've been doing the gentle CIO..and the last 2 nights he's slept right through!
    I'm amazed at how well it's working....Even for his naps he whimpers for a couple of minutes and then falls right to sleep! I haven't slept through yet b/c I also expect him to wake up. Keidy I'm like you this morning...I thought it was the middle of the night and realized it was morning!

Also..he said "mama" today in between his cries (he was playing on the floor) I know he didn't know what he said but it's the first consanant that wasn't gooo My hear melted

I use the saline drops too. The bottle I have is called "Rhinaris" It's a pediatric solution. I find that it works well.
    I live in the "boonies" too and my dh has "forgotten" things too!

Anyways..gotta go teach piano!
    ttyl!
    S
    Ps..it's snowing here like crazy and it's wonderfull!

Old 03-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #374
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

S&J

That's awsome about the sleeping, isn't it exciting. DS woke up last night at 4am,
    b/c his pacifier fell out, so I went in to give it to him, b/c I really had to go and pee, so I thought since I was up, might as well go in. When will he learn how to find it himself. When he cries he never looks for it himself, I have to put it in for him, and after couple of seconds, he probobly thinks "well ok, if I can't have you, I guess i have to take the paci" I've been puting him always w/ his paci to fall asleep i haven't tried yet w/o. Maybe that will be my next task.

How exciting that he said mama, sometimes I play w/ him and put his lips together and says "mama" not "dada"

Laur77

How cute about Logan saying "good". We also do that w/ DS. I'll ask him, Avery who do you want to change your diaper or feed you? and he says "dada, dada", so then I hand him off to DH and say, "who am I to argue w/ DS, he personally asked for you"

Too bad about having problems w/ building your home, we would hire a builder, everyone that they built for had their home in less then 4mo, so their good. But yah, they charge 10-15% premium for contracting. But I think it's worth it, no hassle.

Oh, the other day, DH went to get some milk and called me to ask if I needed anything, I said sure, DS is running out of food, get some cereal and veggies. He came back w/ 10 bags worth of groceries and yes, you guessed it, NO baby food. He said he thought he was forgetting something. NO kidding. I said, sure, let our baby starve, lol, little guilt trip. MEN.

Hope you're all doing well, today.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #375
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

Laur77,

I almost forgot, my son also cries as soon as I leave the room and he can't see me, what I do, is I talk to him, when he can't see me so he can hear me and know that I'm still there. It helps,

Closed Thread