It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Fentanyl Patch for Withdrawal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2006, 01:05 AM   #1
    togomo
    (female)

togomo HB User
    Fentanyl Patch for Withdrawal?

I was prescribed 25mg. Fentanyl patches today to apply for pain management. I'm wondering if they're anywhere strong enough to help with these terrible oxycontin withdrawal symptoms?
    I'm about to give up on giving up oxycontin... I've lost everything to it yet the symptoms upon quitting are devastating and I just cannot work while withdrawing... calling in sick just isn't an option; I have no paid sick days and am paid in tips. I'm spending $75. a day for oxy (one 80mg, one 40) which leaves me barely enough money for gas... my bills are a nightmare.
    I just wondered if the fentanyl patch might help with the withdrawls enough so that I can go to work while getting off the oxycontin, anyone know?
    Thanks so much for any advice you can give me; I'm really sinking here.
    -t

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 02:19 AM   #2
    digmusic
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User
    Re: Fentanyl Patch for Withdrawal?

Well, let me tell you, on November 3rd of last year, one of my best friends died from an overdose of the fentanyl patch which his doctor prescribed for heroin withdrawal. I believe he didnīt take them correctly and used more than the recommended dose, but that shows that yes it is strong and be careful with it. Most people have never heard of using this drug to ease withdrawal symptoms. There is actually a law suit involved between the doctor and my friendīs parents because of this.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Tonnie its been a long time since I have seen you on the board. I always wonder what's up with you when I don't see you around for months at a time. I didn't know you had pain issue's is this something new for you how did that happen you ended up there? I know your story but I don't ever recall you going to a pain management Dr I new you got your oxy's off the street... I have never used the patch myself so I don't know anything about it, hopefully others can help you, but PLEASE be careful with it. it can be deadly if you abuse it people die from it. That should be a huge concern for you. UGH!!!! Okay my honest opinion for you is to either go back on Suboxone, even though it didn't work out last time try and find another Dr that will help you and stick with it you did so good for awhile on it, remember?!!!!! it worked for awhile for you and I remember how pleased you were with it. Another option for you is a methadone clinic. Lots of people take it for Narcotic abuse and I think you need to give it a shot you could go every morning before you go to work. you have to go in every day for your dose so you can't abuse it... and your spending a fortune on oxy's so its probably cheaper than if you go to the clinic every day.. Please consider one of these routes I think they both would be a good option for you vs the patch it would be to easy for you to abuse those...

Take care,

Old 03-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
    togomo
    (female)

togomo HB User

Thanks so much for replying.
    You know, I've been getting oxys (40 & 80mg) off the street ($25 & $50) for better than two years. Last summer, I awakened with a numb left arm and hand (which went away after about a month) and an MRI showed it was caused by a herniated disc. So I was sent to a doctor who prescribes me 90 percocet (10/325 oxycodone) a month. I trade these at $4 each and I get 7 80mg oxys, which last a few days. It's the one break in the month I get from not having to worry if I'll make enough tips not to have withdrawals the next day.
    In trying to get my doctor to give me oxycontin, I told him the percocet (three a day) and Soma (two a night) he prescribes wasn't lasting long enough. He said he no longer prescribes oxycontin because too many folks abuse it, and he gave me this fentanyl patch (25mg, one every three days.)
    All I know is I have to get off these oxys before I follow in my brother's footsteps and take my life over them. The suboxone was the best thing I ever found, and I ruined that, of course. I wasn't ready to get off the oxys and I only took them when I couldn't get anything else. Of course I missed my next appointment with the sub doctor so he dropped me and won't take me again. He was an hour and a half away, and I can't find one now within a two hours drive. You don't know how much I wish I hadn't blown that chance I had.
    My husband pays all the bills for the family including the upkeep of our (6 bedroom, 4 bath) home and four children. He does a beautiful job. And now he of course wants a divorce, as I can't appreciate any of this without my friggin dope. I don't know how this happened to me, I swear I don't. All my husband asks is that I pay for my own personal things, cigarettes and whatever - makeup, etc. I can't even do that. If I make, say, $60. in tips a night, I drive to my dealers and dump it all out and we see how much (oxy) I can get, and that's it for another day. On my two days off, I do the same but use my $75./week paycheck (it's terrible having those days off; I really have to taper) unless I can get someone to let me work for them.
    This is not living at all; this is existing and quite miserably.
    I can't even think about what I would have if I'd kept all the money I spend on oxys. I haven't bought so much as a pair of socks in two years, and when I need like toothpaste or shampoo, it's a real crisis for me. My gastank is always on Empty and my savings account consists of a half-full-of-pennis milk jar sitting on my desk (my husband has long ago taken my name off the checking and savings accounts, of course.) My daughters (twins 16, one 15) know I do "something wrong" with my money, my husband says as much in front of them. My son, though, (he's eight) thinks I hang the moon and I want to do this for him so badly. I just, I love that child so much it hurts. Every month or so when I decide I have to quit, I'll tell him that I'm going to start saving so he and I can go to Universal Studios this summer - we used to take the girls every year before my brother killed himself but my son's never been; I don't do vacations anymore. I can't even take him and me to the movies or for an ice cream and it hurts so bad. He loves me, though, and says it doesn't matter. When we got our income tax refund (we split it) I used it all to buy oxys and didn't save enough to take him to buy this skateboard ramp ($20) he wanted. When it came time to go get it, he must've known I didn't have it, as he told me he'd just as soon us take the dog to the park for a walk than to go to WalMart for the ramp. I wanted to cry. I snorted an 80, we took Gracie to Imagination Station for a walk, and I didn't have to give up any of my precious drug money.... impressive, huh? Impressive like a corpse, maybe. Nobody'd want to "live" like this, noone should have to.
    My husband gave me several chances after Steven died; it's not like he's throwing me out on my ear. But you can only trust a drug addict's lies so many times, I realize. I never take the twins to their events (and there are so many) or the younger daughter to ball practice or school functions. I do take Andrew, or volunteer to take him, places but my husband is wary of letting me drive him around since I'm such a doper. He built himself a bedroom on the other side of the house a few years ago and I guess I should've known the divorce demand was coming, but still it's surprising, somehow... just can't believe I really threw it all away.
    I'm always trying new (stupid) ways to get off this stuff (cold turkey is - well you know what it is.) It's hard for me to have withdrawls and do my job; waiting tables takes a little patience and wit and I have lots of neither when I'm detoxing. Last month I deduced that from oxycontin I derive (a) energy and (b) a buzz. So I got some Didrex (diet pills, uppers) and some good marijuana and reasoned that I could just take the pills for the energy and the pot for the high and viola, no more addiction to oxy! Needless to say, I then found myself popping a dridrex, toking a joint, and snorting an oxy all at once. Good, Tonnie..... perhaps I should've sniffed a little glue to've made it a grand slam.
    I'm sorry for the what-a-loser-I-am post, really. I just, I thought it was nice that someone remembered me and I wanted to let you know how things are for me (in case anyone's keeping score, I'm losing big time.) I wish all of you continued success in your individual journeys; believe that I've prayed for us one and all so many times. If anyone can see anything I'm doing wrong, do let me know; God knows I need some help.
    Thanks so much for listening, guys, that really is nice.
    Your Friend,
    Tonnie
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "God bless us every one."

Last edited by togomo; 03-02-2006 at 10:36 AM.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

I would check into buprenorphene because the fentynal patches aren't going to do the job for you.If you go to google and put in suboxone you will find lots of info....Dave

Old 03-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Hi Tonnie, I really do feel bad for you... I think you need to quit your watressing job right away. all he money your making is spent on the drugs so what is the point? Perhaps if you quit the job and focused on getting sober it might help you. we all know the withdrawls are horrible BUT living the life your living now isn't any better, so you might as well quit the job, and detox at home. you have done it before and can do it again.... at least your husband and kids are gone during the day so you could sleep it off..... and than get yourself to an NA meeting for support. Maybe if your husband sees you trying to get sober you can also work on your marraige. NA has helped a lot of people I do believe in it.

I do no that the patch is also hard to get off of, and it might be worse than oxy, not sure as I have never tried either one. but I have heard its pretty brutal when you stop so your going to run out of those to, than what?.

another idea is the methadone clinic, to me that also might be an option for you.... think of your kids if nothing else for that in itself will keep you going and on the right track, Can't you find another sub Dr and take a bus there or ask a friend for a ride or instead of snoring an 80 fill your tank up and make the drive at least get your first RX for the Sub so you can avoid the W/D'S but you can't screw it up this time.. what about going into a drug treatment center? could you also look into that??? there are options out there for you.
    good luck, I know this sucks but I don't think the job is helping you any but allowing you to buy your drugs and keep repeating the same vicious cylce over and over and over again................ your smarter than that I know it you can do this, you just have to really WANT to be off these pills, pls you have to try something and I don't think the patch is a good choice given your history.....

Old 03-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

I think you need to check yourself into rehab, STAT. Since you can't seem to do it for you, do it for the children.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
    togomo
    (female)

togomo HB User

Heya.
    Thanks for your reply, really.
    You know, I just spent an hour at that site that gives you all the sub doctors in your state... know the one? I called and called but still no openings. I'm going to have to perhaps go to Nashville, which is I think a few hours away.
    I have no argument that a long drive would be well worth the benefits of getting of this terrible ride, and I'm going to keep calling until I have an appointment with someone somewhere... I will post as soon as I have that.
    There is a methadone clinic in Georgia, only 45 minutes from me (I'm in Chattanooga; if anyone can tell me of a suboxone doctor within an hour or so of me I would be SO grateful!) I drive about half hour a day to my dealer anyway, so methadone would be "doable." I'm not so worried about "trading one drug for another" in this case; au contraire; I'm very worried about mixing and doing what I'm doing right now... I know that's so bad for me.
    I believe the suboxone will work for me this time because it worked last time, only I wasn't ready. I've never wanted anything so badly in my life. I have a terrible fear of being at work and withdrawing.... having that awful sense of "I-just-wanna-climb-outta-my-skin" while some truck driver is telling me how he wants his omelet (I work at a Waffle House... yep, it DOES get worse... lol) I want off this ride and out of this park SO bad I can taste it.
    I've thought a lot about quitting the job. My husband told me he would pay for my cigarettes (not ready to get off THAT ride yet) and gas to go about if I quit (he knows everyone who works there is on something... meth is the doc among waitresses although I dont do that.) I didn't work for the first 16 years of our marriage; this is a first for me and it's destroying everything, really... a good tip night only means an extra oxy or two, which only means a higher tolerance.... it's a viscious and terrible ride that I'm afraid to jump off of completely but one that I will never ever go near if I can find my way out of it now. Perhaps everyone says that but it makes me sick that I'm doing this. Man, my parents have only one child left (me) and I'm doing just what their son did... unbelievable. The shame alone is tearing me up... that and the fear of withdrawal. It was SO bad last time, and I wasn't doing half what I'm doing now... I have nightmares about what it's going to be like.
    I'm going to get in touch with a sub doctor somewhere and take it from there. Perhaps I can pay someone to drive me (I own a car but am terrible with directions and such and would likely have a very hard time finding something in, say, Nashville.) Even if I had to buy $30. in gas and pay them $50. it would still only be as costly as one day's oxycontin money! And our insurance (TVA) is very good and will cover the doctor and the prescription will only be $12. I'm typing this and getting my nerve up to get that appointment. I'm not a stupid person, but this drug has me doing things that don't make any logical sense at all and I'm ashamed of who I've become since climbing on the oxy ride years ago. I just, I can't give up like Steven did; my parents would be destroyed not to mention my family (my brother's little girl, now 6, still sleeps with his photo under her pillow. When I imagine my little one, Andrew, doing that with me it makes me need to scream.)
    Please lend me some support... you don't know how helpful that would be... I had just intended on asking your advice on the fentanyl patches, but you've given me a little hope that maybe there is help for me still... I knew in my heart that the fentanyl was a poor idea. God, please let this work; let me find a doctor who will help... just a little and I'll do the rest. I just, I know it seems like if I wanted it badly enough I'd just quit, but god knows I try - every day I try! It's just not like that... it's not like when I was on hydrocodone, taking like 8-12 10/500's a day. That was bad, but I wasn't in hell (I was in the neighborhood, but not there, not yet.) Withdrawing from oxycontin is getting an invitation to hell, the only bright side being it's a temporary stay, unlike life on oxy which is a life sentence there.
    Thank you so much for your input and please give me your hand while I take this step. I know I'm just somebody down south who's serving waffles and snorting oxy for a life, but still I'm somebody, and the pain is very real. The loneliness is nearly as bad as the pain itself, for there is virtually nobody I can talk to like this anywhere. My parents are disgusted as is my husband, and the girls at work say they want to help but only tell me that I'm on "the wrong drug" - and no offense to myself intended but I'm not sure I want to use a Waffle House waitress as my life-guide.... especially one who tells me "meth's your answer" (one really did put it that way... said crystal meth would give me the energy and cost half as much, yada yada yada... can you believe that?) It's like being in a veritable house of mirrors... knowing there's a way out but damifino where, do you know what I mean?
    I will post as soon as I get an appointment somewhere.... if I just cannot find a sub doctor I will call the methadone clinic, then.... I'm going to do SOMEthing, anyway, while I still am legally married and haven't lost it all. Thank you again; I am truly grateful for your words.
    Very Truly Yours,
    Your Friend,
    Tonnie

Old 03-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
    oandesmama
    (female)

oandesmama HB User

Oh Tonnie,
    I am so sorry for what you are going through. Big hugs to you. Is there any way you could go to rehab? It sounds like that might be what you need. Your husband knows what you are doing, right? Do your parents know? Wouldn't they be destroyed if something were to happen to you? Wouldn't you rather them be upset with the fact that you are doing drugs, but getting help, than being devastated and destroyed if something were to happen to you? I'm not one to dole out advice - I'm working on tapering myself off Vicodin and I'm scared to death as well. But you sound like you're in a very desperate situation and I'm scared for you. I want to help you somehow - if the only way I can help is to say that I'm here for you and willing to listen without judgement, then please take my offer to help and keep us posted on what you are doing. I don't know you but I don't want to see you get hurt in any way. You definitely sound like you're in over your head and need some help. If you can't get into a rehab, then please try to get into a methadone clinic asap or find a sub doctor. You've found a way to get your hands on the drugs that you use, even when it's hard, so I'm sure if you really want to do this, you could find a way to either type of doctor. Good luck and hold on tight - your story can and WILL have a happy ending - you just have to believe that for yourself and take one step at a time!!

Michelle

Old 03-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

hey tonnie! I remember talking to you awhile back... I would second the methadone recommendation. Especially if you are actually using some of these meds for a pain issue. I had a major problem taking my vic's as prescribed (for chronic pain) and after I told them they switched me to 40mg of methadone a day and it has been working GREAT for me. I'm almost to month 4 right now at that dose. It's great for my pain and I don't have any desire for any hydro or oxy or anything like I did before. Also, it doesn't get me high. That is the best part. I just feel "okay" and "normal" for the first time in YEARS. Just my opinion.

tina

Old 03-02-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Hi Tonnie great start. your headed in the right direction. First you need help getting off the oxy, but than you need a support system. I think NA would be a big help to you can you get to a meeting and find your self a good sponsor to lean on??. You know, there is a type of Dr called an " ADDICTIONALOGIST" and there kind of like a phychatrist but they specialize in addiction and they can subscribe SUBOXONE. I have heard people mention that they go, I know Twinlynn does and she loves her Dr. maybe you can look around for someone locally and than you won't have to drive to far. I am the same way with directions, girl I would get lost in a paper bag. I relocated from Cali last year to NC and I am always getting lost. and I panick and get real nervous so I can sooo relate to you there.

anyhow I like the idea of you seeing an addiction Dr who can help you with the sub and get the root of your problems as to why you use...... we aren't allowed to post Dr's names on here but do a search and see if you can find someone. also you could call your insurance company and see if they can reccomend an addictionologsit for you to see that is covered under your health plan.... you did so good on sub and I remember how happy you were its the longest you were sober in a long time. if you can just stick with it and than do either a very very slow taper or get on a maintance program that would be so great for you, your such a sweet girl and I know you want the monkey off your back. I think it might be a good idea for you to find a new job where people aren't spun out on drugs, it would so much healthier for you and you might even make some friends along the way, maybe you can find a fun job doing something you like. It sounds like a downer debbie job and you certainly don't need that right now. ( you got me wanting an omlet for dinner now) anyhow hugs to you and I know you can get your act together because you want it badly this time and your a sharpe smart girl. Have you been doing any writting lately? I know you love to write and you do it so well... I always like hearing fomr you and I do care.

your friend, Slippery Slope

Old 03-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
    hoapfloats
    (female)

hoapfloats HB User

Please do not use the fetanyl patch, if you google it, it says it is 1,000 times stronger then heroin. I put a 25 mg patch on my arm a year a go and nearly overdosed, my boyfriend found me passed out with my lips turning blue he ripped that patch right off just in time, also the warmer you or your home gets the more powerful the patch becomes, and usually people get hot when they do opiates. You can fight this oxy addiction without the fetanyl, there are safer solutions like suboxin, detox, or rehab or even methadone, whatever you need. You are smart to want to give up the oxys, I lost a very special person to oxys and then heroin, now he is in jail, and trust me he never thought that would happen. You can do this, throw away the patch dude, they are bad news, we are here for you. I am not trying to say that they are not treating your wds right it just makes no sense to give you an even stronger narcotic why not give you comfort meds and metadone or suboxin. Sorry to stress but that fetanyl sh** just scares me and I would hate to see you go through something worse..

Kelley

Old 03-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #13
    jkhopeful
    (female)

jkhopeful HB User

Hi Tonnie

You have a lot of people rooting for you here. I remember you from awhile back as well. I've been on and off this board since last August and now it seems that most of my friends on this board are "b_ _ _ed" for some unknown reason! I don't get that!

I agree you need to quit your job and concentrate on YOU! Its the only way. I withdrew from hydrocodone last September and the withdrawals were tough and I suspect oxy will be worse, but if you want it bad enough, you can suffer through it. You've got the right attitude - you have to decide on a little torture for awhile or this continuing hell you're putting yourself through and the answer seems pretty clear.

I guess when I saw your posts in the past, I didn't realize you had small children. You need to do it for them as well as yourself. The "other side" is so much better - its tough to get there, but you can do it. I know you can. You'll find the way. I didn't think I would, but here I am almost six months later, and I'm doing petty well. I'll never go back to that "doorway to hell" again.

A friend in recovery,

Jan

Old 03-06-2006, 07:01 AM   #14
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Tonnie -

I found out from a personal friend that there is a sub doctor in Fort Oglethorpe which is very close to Chattanooga. I've heard they are really great there. You should check into it! Hopefully they would be able to get you in and on your way! This friend of mine just started sub and is really feeling good on it. She did say that you need to be really serious about it though. Which it sounds like you definitely are! Look into it, and let me know what you find out! Also, let us know how you are doing!

Tina

Old 03-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #15
    choctaw_n_ok
    (female)

choctaw_n_ok HB User

Wow Tonnie ! ..I just read your post and ..WOW !!.....I usually am on the pain management board as I take methadone with hydrocodone for break thru because I dont have insurance any longer for the morphine sulfate , and I just read this board because Ive seen a couple of people I knowget themselves in troble by not taking their meds as prescribed and end up in trouble as some on this board and go thru what yall do...BUT ANYWAYS thats irrelevant.....I just want to say that Im pullin for you and my prayers are there for you !!!!! .....I can only imagine how you feel about hurting your kids and as you put, especially your son. I think its great that you can type it for all to see and admit it...man Id be bawlin my eyes out if I had to type that !!...keep us informed and I wish you the very best of luck !!!...your post really touched me !

deana ......and sorry if I sound like Im just rambling ! ...

Closed Thread