It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• 5 weeks clean and still skin crawling chills

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #1
    Wifelyone
    (female)

Wifelyone HB User
    Unhappy 5 weeks clean and still skin crawling chills

I used vicodin for about 6 months and got up to taking it 3 times a day - dose was 7.5. If I dropped below that I would start getting wd. I tapered slowly in January and had my last week of tapering at 3.5mg per day (total) 6 weeks ago. The taper was great and I was able to quit without severe w/d. The question I have is that the skin crawling feeling is still here. It's not as severe, but still interfering with being able to do things. I feel cold all the time (internally) and get this chilled feeling that runs through my body. I literally wear sweaters in really warm weather. Sometimes it's kind of like my skin is crawling. I quit completely more than 5 weeks ago now and wondering if anyone can recommend what to do about this. Also, is this normal? I'm an addict even at 7.5mg 3 times a day. I know people have quit after taking a lot more and they have not complained that the w/d feelings last this long. Also, am very lethargic. Any help greatly appreciated. Is there hope for the itchy yucky chills?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User
    Re: 5 weeks clean and still skin crawling chills

Some times a small dose of welbutrin (an anti-depressant) will help here.Your brain stopped producing endorphins when you were abusing and it takes awhile to get the production back up.......Dave

Old 03-03-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

figure one to two months recovery if you totally abstained...if you are takin other meds they can prodiuce similar side effects...the brain needs time to heal...i live in fla and i had to wear warm clothes and i still sweat/had chills...my dosin was alot higher but it doesnt matter...stay clean and there is sunshine at the end of the road...i can attest...humans all deal with the w/d's different and some it takes longer than others to recover....the endorphins need to be reproduced since the opiates took over your receptors and produced the false euphoria...if you can sleep without kickin,ect...deal with whats left...trust me it will go away...chef

Old 03-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
    Wifelyone
    (female)

Wifelyone HB User

I have to ask - what is the relationship between endorphins and having the chills? I can see the lethargy and "blues" being related, but the physical feeling of chills? I guess boost the b vitamins?

Old 03-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

hi wifely, sorry to hear about the post-detox problems you are having, but congratulations on your success with detox!

Wifely, I think what may be happening to you is normal and nothing to become alarmed about. It will get better. What is happening is that during detox and for a period of time in post-detox the brain signals have random misfires. Levels vary among individuals. During the period in which you were taking painkillers those signals were put to sleep in order to produce pain relief. Once the drug is stopped, those sensories WAKEUP....as they wakeup they are spitting and sputtering like an old sluggish engine that can't quite get the gas flow regulated. Those misfires will eventually be re-regulated by the brain and a smooth flow will start again; it just takes time.

There are things in the meantime that you can do to help support your body's journey back to normal:

1. You must exercise 20-30 min day; walking will do it. Exercise is the activity that sends a demand signal to the brain to activate the endorphins to produce more dopamine and serotonin; substances that help your body regulate heartbeat and body temperature as well as cope with pain, sleep, and depression.

2. Next, you should consider supplements as your body becomes depleted. If you haven't already reviewed it, check out the Sample Home Detox thread located in the Moderator's Section on this Board. Specific supplements folks have found helpful are listed there. The levels mentioned are for the intensity of Detox WDs; post Detox WD levels would be less. Also, know that supplements alone are not likely going to eliminate all post detox WD symptoms. Only the body can achieve that through exercise to re-regulate your endorphins. The body is a miraculous thing. It is designed to heal itself, and it will over time.

I would say the key supplements for you to consider might be:
    Multi-Vitamin
    Mult-Mineral
    B-Complex Blend
    Anti-Oxidant Blend
    Zinc/Magnesium (50-75 mg one morning and one afternoon but ONLY after eating food or it will make you sick) [ pain relief and help w/depression]
    L-Tyrosine (500 mg) one morning and one afternoon. [post detox malaise/enery/depression]
    Sam-E [pain relief and mood balancing]

Try adding these for a month. Most folks report they feel some relief very quickly that the Zinc (relief within a day or two) and L-Tryosine (relief within an hour or two). Most report that both provide improved relief after they have built up in the system for 1 week.

Last edited by jam338; 03-03-2006 at 07:27 AM.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
    Wifelyone
    (female)

Wifelyone HB User

I'm guessing I hit the tired and depressed time? I have situations going on that would lead anyone to be depressed, but I was pretty happy and good until about a week ago. I have no thoughts of going back. Am just sitting here feeling so unhappy about the return of w/d symptoms (the skin crawling chills went away and came back about a week ago ... or, maybe they never went away and I was just so happy to be done ??????). I understand the whole notion of my receptors being out of whack, it's just weird that this came back with such a vengeance. Thanks so much for the advice and help. Keeping warm and trying to stay occupied.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

It WILL get better hon, hang in there, just takes time is all. It is all part of phases w/WDs....there is a Detox Phase and a Post Detox Phase. The Detox Phase is INTENSE and the Post-D phase is usually random firing without a predictable pattern...it is just your sensories trying to all reconnect again. They'll get it right; they are designed to heal and mend on their own...but the exercise and supplements will help you bridge it. The chills you are experiencing is only the cold part of "cold turkey"

Old 03-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
    Wifelyone
    (female)

Wifelyone HB User
    Wink Re: 5 weeks clean and still skin crawling chills

LOL! I like the chills being the cold in cold turkey! Just got off my exercise bike and do feel better. I guess because I don't think about the pills anymore, I expected my body to do the same! HA! Glad to know that I am normal.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wifelyone
    LOL! I like the chills being the cold in cold turkey!
    LOL....cold turkey = "cooooooooooooool chick!!!!"
    Glad the exercise helped...it will more and more...keep with it....get those dang endorphin boys off their longggggggggg coffee break and working FOR you....the more you exercise the more it snaps their butts back in line....crack that whip girl!!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
    jkhopeful
    (female)

jkhopeful HB User

HI wifely - I certainly understand about the chills and the skin crawling. I withdrew from hydro last September - it will be six months on March 16th. YEAH! But the last w/d symptoms to dissipate were the chills and skin crawling. I still have restless leg syndrome once in awhile if I don't get enough exercise. I think the chills finally went away after about two months. I didn't think it would ever stop, but it does and as you already know, keeping the body moving does help. Trouble is, its hard to get motivated to exercise when you're feeling like you do.

I took a multi-vitamin, L-tyrosine, cardio plus and got lots and lots of sleep - nothing helped me more than sleep during those days. Eat lots of fresh foods (nothing processed - that helped me a lot) diet makes a huge difference. But even with all that, the only thing that really really helps is time and that's easy to get to. Just takes some patience.

What really helps me to not go back to using drugs is to come on this board and be reminded of how difficult it is to get off of them. By no means do I feel 100% confident that I have this thing licked, but I get a lot of support by coming on and reading what everyone is going through here. I've had a couple of slips along the way, but for the most part, I've been clean and I'm getting to the point where I don't even think about the pills much anymore.

I wish you the best. You've already got the worst of withdrawal behind you. Hang in there. These symptoms will go away.

A friend in recovery,

jka

Last edited by jkhopeful; 03-03-2006 at 04:35 PM.

Closed Thread