It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• What is Lyrica and is better than Neurotin???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #31
    aicirtapo
    (female)

aicirtapo HB User
    Re: What is Lyrica and is better than Neurotin???

I don't know whether it is stated somewhere above this level but I learned that the difference in Lyrica and Neurontin is that Lyrica operates at the Spinal level, preventing pain messages from getting to the brain. I guess you could say it operates a little like a block. I am only on 225 mg and it has done more for me than 6 mg of Clonmazepam and 900 Neurontin. First two weeks I was very dizzy but that was partly because I stopped taking the Clonmazepam all together and one cannot just cut oneself off that type of drug like that. At this level, no dizziness. Whether memory is worse is a point to consider since I have been on so many drugs so long who knows what my memory would be like without them???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 11:06 PM   #32
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Well said acirtapo!
    And let's not forget about that RSD brain residue we all have and will probably always have. Aloha Skooze

Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #33
    joysarah52
    (female)

joysarah52 HB User

I was wondering if anyone has had a loss of appetite, I have found that I am much less hungry.This would be wonderful for me since I need to lose about 50lbs.
    Thanks to all Joy

Old 03-04-2006, 12:21 AM   #34
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi JoyI And Welcome to the boards. Please check out the post by Warmnsunny--Looks like that they are having opposite effect. Although I guess it all has to do with age, menopausaul, etc..... Lyrica is still new out there, and my PCP, who specializes in diabetes, was against me trying the drug out when I posted the thread is Lyrica better than Neurontin! But I'm hypoglycemic too! I hope that someone can answer your question. Good Luck Skooze

Last edited by Skooze; 03-04-2006 at 12:34 AM.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:27 AM   #35
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

OOPPS I posted this twic somehow! That RSD brain

Last edited by Skooze; 03-04-2006 at 12:33 AM.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #36
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

I'm having a rough day I don't know how to erase these---UUUURRGGGHHHH!
    Guess it's time to go to bed. Aloha Skooze

Last edited by Skooze; 03-04-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #37
    hubbardsfarm
    (female)

hubbardsfarm HB User

Hello folks,

I haven't posted in some time been way too busy with living life the best I can and for the most part not up to typing and posting.

I've been on this new drug for about four months now...because of some things I had read here I asked the Dr.'s to give this one a try....and I must say for the most part I am glad that I did...

The problems with my vision are gone, the tongue tied, thick talking is gone, the stumbling over words or the lack of them is gone too....the foggy brain is gone and that is a plus for me!

All and all I am very happy with this drug...and happy to be off the "N." While I must admit that my pain level was less when I was on 800 MGS. of N five times a day, I couldn't see to read, watch TV, type, etc...my brain didn't function as well as it should on this drug....now all that is gone and I am very happy about that!

I don't seem to have any of the side effects of the "L" drug and that is a good thing...the only thing I might have at this point started about 3 weeks ago....I have had "Vertigo" many times in the past 5 years and I thought I had another spell of it 3 weeks ago....now after reading all the info on "L" it might just be one of the side effects of "L." DIZZY.....but i's not all that bad for me and well worth the change in meds.....

I had another spinal block 3 weeks ago also, as of now, no improvements...so, we won't do another one for a while.

I'm very happy for the most part my pain level has gone from a 10 PLUS down to about a 2 to a 3 most of the time...climbing up to a 5 at times! I have no complaints really with that...and the RSD still seems to be only in my right foot from the ankle down.

Who am I to complain?

Now If I can get rid of the weight I have gained from taking all that "No-rotten" I will be more happy...and being able to exercise will be a wonderful thing as well.

This board is a blessing to me, even when I don't post....

You are all in my heart and prayers each day...may you have some pain free moments tonight and the rest of this week.

Blessings,

Hubbard

<><

Old 03-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #38
    (male)

brigus1@ns.symp HB User

I have finally reached where my doctor says Lyrica should be doing some good. I am at 300mg twice a day and I am feeling some relief. The stabbing pains have decreased but the spasams are still there and I have the jitters. Lets hope this is what we all need. Good luck everyone....Rodg

Old 03-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #39
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

I have been on neurontin for 10 years for RSD and I have never had any of those feelings you all describe. My Doc did say that neurontin in combination with any other type of drug will intensiy the other drugs effect mainly any pain meds.I am only on 100 mg 3 x aday though.Elival also has helped a great deal with the pain.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #40
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Brigus1 & welcome to the boards! It's a great site for us who suffer from this terrible monster that has invaded our bodies and life.
    I'm glad that the Lyrica is working well for you. I have yet to try it, but it sounds like others are having for the most part good results. Are you on any drugs for muscle spasams--such as soma or flexeril? I would be totally lost without my soma. If I miss my dose my digits in my hands and toes go numb, especially the fingers, because my RSD is in the upper left extremity. Where is yours, and how did you get it>from an accident or work injury?
    Again welcome to the boards and if you have any questions just ask away. People here are great and we've seen and been through it all.
    Aloha Skooze

Old 04-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #41
    Lizotte
    Veteran
    (female)

Lizotte HB User

What a wonderful, informative and inspiring thread. I read the whole thing. It answered a lot of questions for me. I have been wondering why my tongue feels so large lately.

Have been away from the board, but always thinking of fellow RSDers. You can always find an answer here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    LiZ
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Somebody's praying you through."

Old 10-31-2006, 06:25 AM   #42
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

Wow Robbin... I guess only sleeping 4 hours and still be tired is not good but I envy those who need little sleep. Have you ever know someone like that? With boundless energy and needs little sleep. I hate em.... lol

Have you always slept so little? Everyone metabolism is different (as all the meds you take with little side effect prove). Perhaps you have a very fast metabolism and those drugs just go through you too fast to be absorbed?

It really is strange you take all of those meds whose side effect is sleepiness and you can't sleep. Do you get the benefit from them? If you are getting the benefit w/o the side effects I think that's great. Of course, if you are tired, that's a different problem.

If you are still tired, have you tried a sleep study? You can usually find one somewhere in your area and perhaps they can help you.

Good luck and hope you get some good sleep soon.

Barb

Closed Thread