It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Lab Results & Symptoms....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2006, 02:44 AM   #1
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Question Lab Results & Symptoms....

Good Morning Everyone
    Let me start by saying that I have been ill for the past 2 years. Several months ago, my gastro had referred me to a Hematologist. She had sent me there because of an elevated WBC for the past several months. I also have iron-deficiency anemia. At the time I went to the hematologist my wbc was 17. The doctor had given me more blood tests and told me that he would look under the microscope at my wbc. When I returned to his office he stated that my white cells looked fine and that I possibly had an infection and that my asthma medication could also raise my wbc because of the steroids in them. He also told me to fax any other labs that I got in the future to his office. I recently had labs again and I faxed these to his office the other day

Well, here are my latest labs:
    WBC- 18.9
    RBC- 5.23
    rdw- 15.0
    NEUTROPHILS, ABSOLUTE- 11491
    LYMPHOCYTES, ABSOLUTE- 6105
    MONOCYTES, ABSOLUTE- 983
    After they received my fax his office called me and told me that the doctor had wanted to see me. I scheduled an appointment for this Tuesday. In the meantime I am really driving myself crazy with worry.
    I sleep most of my days away. No matter how much sleep I get, I am always still tired and feel very weak. It feels as if I have the flu all the time. As for joint, bone and muscle pain, I suffer with this every day. I also have Fibromyalgia & Arthritis as well as a bad back and neck, as you can read in my signature. I take many medications for my pain and illnesses. I have taken my meds for a couple of years, so I do know that it is not the meds causing me to be tired all the time. I have arthritis and bursitis in both hips, but over the past 2 months the pain has greatly increased and I cannot lie down on either hip. I am also experiencing peri-menopause and thought that my night sweats were related to this. But the problem is that I don't only sweat at night, as I sweat all day long. Sometimes it can get so bad that I feel as if I could faint. One time I nearly did...

For the past two weeks my skin has started to itch very often. I don't have any of the red spots that I have read about. I have lost 20 lbs. in the past 2 months. This is very unusual for me as I have maintained the same weight for the past couple of years as I don't move around to much because of my back pain. I even have many digestive problems and had my gallbladder removed in December. I guess this could possibly be a reason for the weight loss but my doctor said that it is not. The past couple of months I had a few nose bleeds but related this to the dry heat in my home since it is winter time. A couple of times during the day, I do lose my breath, but I had assumed that perhaps my asthma was getting worse.

I have had swollen lymph nodes occasionally for the past year or so. I even went to an ENT at one time but he has found nothing wrong. He just kept prescribing me antibiotic's.

I realize that many of my symptoms could relate to leukemia, but they could also be something else. That is why I have come to these boards. Has anyone had similar lab results, and if so, could you please share your experience with me. Also for those of you that do have leukemia, my prayers are with you all.
    (`'...(`'. Jeanne .')...')

on L4,L5,S1 June 2003
    Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
    FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
    Re-Herniated Disc's, L4-5, L-5 & S1
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD)
    Disc Osteophyte Complex
    Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
    Fusion & Discectomy on Level C5-6 - September 2005
    Instrumentation = Titanium Plate & Screws

Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    Bilateral Frozen Shoulder - MUA 2/7/05
    Slap Injury's of Bilateral Shoulders
    Hyperlipidemia, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthrosis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
    Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, IBS,
    Cholelithiasis, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea, Urinary Incontinence
    Polyneuropathy, Edema of Bilateral Legs & Feet.

Last edited by MarianJ; 03-06-2006 at 02:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
    eDeal
    (male)

eDeal HB User
    Re: Lab Results & Symptoms....

You didn't mention your platelet count. Nosebleeds would not be an indication of Leukemia if your platelet count was normal. If it was caused by insufficent clotting, it would have to be in the clotting mechanism itself. Since you take a lot of medication, it could be that it is interupting one of the many cascading factors which lead to decent clotting. (For example, aspirin of any effective dosage will destroy a part of your clotting for up to 48 hours after you take it because it deactivates one of the clotting factors).

Of course you might also have a sinus infection.

All of your cellular counts seem high or at least on the high end of normal, but the reletive counts seem normal. Is it possible that you are dehydrated? If I remember correctly, that could also lead to nose bleeds.

One cannot really diagnoses a disease with a blood test alone, it more or less just gives you more symptoms (i.e. thrombocytepenia or too few platelets, sorry for the spelling). Your RBC numbers do not indicate a cause of your anemic symptoms, and since you are female, they are a bit high.

Probably the best thing to do is to not worry, and go to the appointment and await the results of whatever test you will get.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:47 AM   #3
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Edeal
    Thank you very much for responding to my post. As for the platelet count, is was in the normal range, 333. Thanks for explaining how meds could affect my labs. As for my rbc counts, I agree with you. Two doctor's had diagnosed me with iron-deficiency anemia, but my hematologist states that I don't have it, but I do have low iron. These were my last iron labs and they looked pretty good to me, considering my numbers have climbed.
    IRON & TIBC, SERUM
    Iron - 35
    Tibc - 521
    Transferrin Saturation - 7
    Ferritin - 11
    My iron counts had dropped after my lumbar surgery in 2003. I do take iron pills daily.

I went to my appointment yesterday and had more blood work. The doctor stated that my wbc is still high, and then he stated that he wanted me to have another lab called, "Flow Cytometry." He also stated that it takes about two weeks to get these results and that he would call me with them. It looks as if I will research what this lab test looks for. Again thank you for your help.
    Jeanne

Old 03-08-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
    eDeal
    (male)

eDeal HB User

Jeanne,

Flow cytometry is an interesting test where they shine a laser through a sample of periphreal blood as it flows through a machine. The laser is at a specific wavelength (or color) and the various contents of the blood will make it scatter in characteristic ways, which allows them to determine what is in it.

Some of the things the test will reveal, if i remember correctly are:

Size and shape of the cells

The phenotype of the cells, which are the physical characteristics of the cells, based on environmental factors as well as their genetic makeup. This is not a genetic test, but reveals whether the cell behaves as if it is expressing certain genes.

It also tests the presence of certain fluorescent materials within the blood, wich can then be identified. This is closely related to how they determine the phenotype.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
    dazedandconfused1
    Veteran
    (female)

dazedandconfused1 HB User

when my mother was diagnoised with lymphomia and luekemia her white blood cells were very low so im not real sure if there are other types with high wbc there could be

Old 03-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Edeal
    Thanks once again for taking your time to explain things to me about the flow cytometry test.

I did get my results and thank the lord that they came back normal. I still don't know the cause of my elevated wbc, but maybe for some reason I just run high.
    Jeanne

Old 03-31-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello DazedandConfused
    Wow, it has been a very long time since I have seen you on the boards. We did respond to one another's posts in the past. I guess you have the sort of screen name that is not easy to forget....lol

I am very sorry to hear about your mother. I guess different kinds of cancers cause the white cells to react differently. But my doctor did tell me that they were worried that I might have had a form of leukemia. But my latest test came back fine, so I am grateful.

I pray that you are doing well.
    Jeanne

Old 03-31-2006, 06:56 PM   #8
    dazedandconfused1
    Veteran
    (female)

dazedandconfused1 HB User

tomorrow im glad your test results came back good yes wbc act differently to different things

Closed Thread