It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• symptoms of night panic attack

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
    kw123
    Veteran
    (female)

kw123 HB User
    symptoms of night panic attack

What Do You Feel Like And What Are Your Symptoms? I Think I Get These And I Always Think Im Going To Die And Its Not Anxiety Or Panic. Please Share Your Stories

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
    dreamingdenali
    (female)

dreamingdenali HB User
    Re: symptoms of night panic attack

I almost always get night panic attacks. They started about a year ago and are so miserable...I can only sleep around 4 hours a night. I try to sleep during the day on weekends but it's difficult. My symptoms...

a heart beat that feels like it's shaking my whole body
    skipping heart beat
    vertigo, dizziness
    nausea
    blurred vision
    prickling, burning sensation on my skin
    hot flashes
    myoclonic shocks (really, really bad ones)
    general paranoia, fear of death and dying
    muscle twitches
    outside noise (I live in a city) seems way louder than it is in reality
    shortness of breath

I hope you have good luck coping. I take klonopin as needed, not often...I know how scary it is. I think most people on this board do.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

I dont know what I suffer from, but usually two hours into my sleep I awaken to feeling my heart racing, my body feels warm like the heat is turned up, when it's actually not even on, sometimes I become anxious, other times not, I don't have that impending feeling of doom anymore because I am becoming use to this and knows it goes away eventually but my blood pressure elevates to scary levels but all quiets down after I take a small amount of Xanax. I am wondering if this is a panic attack or something else.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
    SteveGn
    (male)

SteveGn HB User

After getting through it time and time again I finally thought that if this is the best it can do, then I'm not going to get emotional invested in it anymore. (not always easy)

Whether the symptoms progress or not, I just lay there and focus on my breathing or the actual symptoms. And most importantly I NEVER EVER EVER allow myself to have any thoughts of trying to escape the situation - that only makes it worse for me. This includes any other time of the day also. I simply lay there motionless and keep my focus on my breath or the symptoms, regardless of how uncomfortable I'm feeling. I don't expect the symptoms to quickly subside because that would only make me more frantic. It takes time for the adrenaline to run its course. Just be there in the present moment with the symptoms for as long as it takes and pay attention to your breath or the symptoms.

By sending a message to yourself that you are not going to try to run or distract yourself is very important in my opinion. As the days go on, you start gaining more and more confidence that you have the skills to get through it, simply by being "present" with it, including non-sleep time, thereby causing the anticipatory anxiety to lessen, as well as less fear of going to bed at night, and better sleep patterns. Steve

Old 03-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
    kw123
    Veteran
    (female)

kw123 HB User

Thanks For All The Replies. We Can Only Be Here For Each Other.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
    dreamingdenali
    (female)

dreamingdenali HB User

Another thing...

I know a lot of people with panic disorder have called 911, they've been taken to the ER, etc etc. I only had one or two less severe episodes like that, but after so many panic attacks, it just started to make me incredibly angry when I had panic attacks. I get ****** and tell myself, "this is so annoying," "here we go again," which kind of adds humor, I guess, to the situation. Most people get scared, but how long can you be scared??? So I get angry, tell myself I am just being stupid. It doesn't make them go away, but it reminds me that it is more or less "all in my head."

Old 03-20-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
    Scarlett H
    (female)

Scarlett H HB User

I had these when I was pregnant. An attack was usually preceeded by a dream that I was smothering, or trapped in a tight space, cave, collapsed building... They were absolutely terrifying. When i woke up I felt total panic and a feeling of doom. I felt like I wanted to take off running, don't know why. Also a feeling of total despair. It would pass after about an hour. But i lived in fear of the next attack. I don't have these when not pregnant. But I do have just generalized anxiety and have been diagnosed with health anxiety. I have spells of believing I'm dying of some dread disease. These come and go.

Closed Thread