It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Stay on Lexapro or switch to Zoloft or Wellbutrin ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
    Aschatan
    (female)

Aschatan HB User
    Question Stay on Lexapro or switch to Zoloft or Wellbutrin ?

Hi everyone,

I suffer from Agoraphobie, Anxiety & Depression. Been on Lexapro for over 6 months now and it seemed to have helped alot with the depression and *somewhat* with my Anxieties.

Though I like this medicine, I just can't deal with the almost daily tiredness.
    I literally sleep my life away, and I'm tired of being tired, lol!
    Also...I think I have gained quite alot and that doesn't help when one is already depressed.

My questions are: If I switched to either ZOLOFT or Wellbutrin...which one of them, in your knowledge/experience would be better for the issuses I'm dealing with,
    and less likely to cause fatigue and weight gain ?

Monday the 13th I'm going to see my MD again...I was going to ask about switching me to an AD to help my Anxiety and Depression but one that doesn't keep me so tired all the time.

I hope someone can help me decide on something.

Thanks in Advance for any replies!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User
    Re: Stay on Lexapro or switch to Zoloft or Wellbutrin ?

Wellbutrin is not supposed to be very helpful for anxiety issues, just depression. I know zoloft is prescribed for anxiety/panic and depression. Have you talked to your doctor about maybe lowering your dose of lex, since it works for you? Also, I have heard of people augmenting lexapro with wellbutrin to counteract the fatigue and weight gain. If I am able to continue taking lex, and have issues with weight gain, I am going to ask to add a little wellbutrin. For me, I deal with the tired feeling, because it is so much better than the anxiety.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

lexapro and zoloft are both prozac type but wellbutrin is a different type

Old 03-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
    Aschatan
    (female)

Aschatan HB User

Thank You both, americandancer and hry33 for your inputs.

Has anyone been or is on Zoloft ?? I'm really curious to know how well it may work. And yes, I know meds affect everyone differently.

Basically the Lexapro has helped my depression...but not *so* much my anxieties. Especially not my Agoraphobie. I need to take Klonopin everyday,
    and when I'm in a car riding on four-lanes for example, I definately need them then, or else I'd panic tremendously.

Sure tiredness is better than Anxiety...but if you need to sleep almost all day and your life slips away this way, you'd like to find some alternative.

Is Zoloft alone good for depression, anxieties And Agoraphobie? Has anyone had experience with it?

Good idea about augmenting Wellbutrin and Lexapro. Will prob. try this if
    Zoloft may not be an option...or the doc doesn't want to prescribe it...

Quote:
    Have you talked to your doctor about maybe lowering your dose of lex, since it works for you?
    americandancer: I could try this...but I probably would not feel as "calm" about things as I do now. I'm easily irritated and right now with the dose of 20mg it kind of helps a little staying more calmer.

I hope I make any sense, lol!

I sure would love more replies from any of you guys.
    I'm really grateful for this forum.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
    janlee
    (female)

janlee HB User

Hi,
    I've been on Zoloft for about 10 years or more. It really helped me with my depression and anxiety. I am going thru a rough patch right now, but Zoloft is supposed to help with anxiety as well as depression whereas Wellbutrin doesn't help anxiety. I was put on Wellbutrin and it did nothing for me the first time. Then recently, since my current anxiety spell, the doc added Wellbutrin and it made me WORSE. However, everyone is different so I can't say how it would effect you. Take care of yourself!
    janet

Old 03-10-2006, 05:26 AM   #6
    Aschatan
    (female)

Aschatan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janlee
    Hi,
    I've been on Zoloft for about 10 years or more. It really helped me with my depression and anxiety. I am going thru a rough patch right now, but Zoloft is supposed to help with anxiety as well as depression whereas Wellbutrin doesn't help anxiety. I was put on Wellbutrin and it did nothing for me the first time. Then recently, since my current anxiety spell, the doc added Wellbutrin and it made me WORSE. However, everyone is different so I can't say how it would effect you. Take care of yourself!
    janet

Hi janet, I'm happy for you that the Zoloft has helped you !

Tell me though...did it make you gain weight and/or felt/feel tired all the time ??

IF the answers are "no", then I'm hopeful that Zoloft MAY help me too !!

Anyone else with some experience or knowledge about my questions ?

Thank You!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

I never felt tired or hungry on zoloft. I didn't have any weight gain...if anything I either lost a little or stayed the same.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

I took Zoloft for six months about ten years ago...it made me have dry mouth and I gained a little weight. It never helped my anxiety and it killed my sex drive, but I think it helped with depression. I still had to take Xanax sometimes during the day and had to take a sleeping pill at night when I was on Zoloft because of anxiety.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

SrMom, I also had to take a xanax everyday while on zoloft.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
    janlee
    (female)

janlee HB User

Hi,
    I've always had a tendency to be overweight, even before I had GAD. But as to Zoloft, I honestly don't believe it made me gain weight. In my case, even if it had, I'd rather be fat than anxy.
    Janet

Closed Thread