It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Blood in sputum...only happened once

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
    just1primate
    (male)

just1primate HB User
    Question Blood in sputum...only happened once

Hey guys,

I have been battling with quitting smoking for about 2 months now. Been on the patch most days, a little cheating on other days. Well, this weekend I smoked for a few days, Saturday and Sunday.

I just coughed up a ver y thick sticky phlegm streaked with bright red blood.
    This only happened once, and has not happened before. Could it be I irritated my semi0healing lungs by smoking this weekend? When should I start to be concerned if it only happened once? I also think I have a mild sinus infection

any thoughts please?

J1P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
    elizabeth_01
    (female)

elizabeth_01 HB User
    Re: Blood in sputum...only happened once

I know you must be scared. The same thing happened to me and I was scared. Like you, it only happened once. Not before and not after the one time. How long have you been smoking?

Old 03-14-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
    just1primate
    (male)

just1primate HB User

Well probably 12-15 yrs, off and on, with a 4 year break in there somewhere.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:09 AM   #4
    elizabeth_01
    (female)

elizabeth_01 HB User

I've been smoking much longer so it scared me quite a bit that it might be a sign of lung cancer. But, I felt better when it didn't happen again. Also, folks told me that you have little tiny blood capilaries that can break when you cough real hard (like with bronchitis). The best piece of mind is when you go have a pulmonary check-up with the doctor. I need to update my life insurance before I get something documented in my medical record. A side bit of info is, I've been told by insurance company representatives that there is a medical database that is maintained by the insurance companies. Anytime a medical insurance company pays a claim for you, they input the diagnosis codes into their database. So, the insurance companies know alot more about you than you think they know. I've been warned that, if you suspect something is wrong with you, make sure your insurance is in good order before getting a diagnosis. Once you get too many or too serious of diagnosis, insurance companies will not sell policies to you.

Hope this isn't scaring you. You haven't been smoking as long as I have. I really was just thinking aloud because I've been wanting to update my insurance and get a pulmonary check-up since I've been smoking for about 25-30 years. My last pulmonary check-up, about 5 years ago, was good though.

Comforting thought though is that it seems that most people develop lung cancer late in life, after many many years of smoking. But, the recent news about Dana Reeves dying of lung cancer when she wasn't even a smoker, was a real scare to me.

Since it only happened to you one time, it probably was just a capillary, in my opinion. But if it worries you, you might want to think about getting a pulmonary (breathing/lungs, etc) check-up.

Take care!

Old 03-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

I don't want to scare you but the same thing happened to my husband last May. A bit of blood only once by the way he stopped smoking 29 years ago. He went to the doctor who thought it wasn't anything but to be on the safe side had him go have an X Ray that showed a 10 cm mass in his lung.PLEASE GO TO YOUR DOCTOR it could be nothing but it might be something.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
    Lexi4529
    (female)

Lexi4529 HB User

The same thing happened to me (coughed up blood-streaked mucus), which is what actually led me to quit smoking when I was 28 years old.
    I understood that smoking was dangerous, but I enjoyed it so much that I was not motivated to quit. In fact, i planned NEVER to quit, and thought i'd accepted the consequences. I understood that it was likely I'd die someday of smoking-related lung problems, and i thought I was okay with that. I mean, we've all got to die of SOMETHING, right?
    The one day i was sitting on the toilet, going to the bathroom and reading a book. I had a cold, and i was coughing a lot. Suddenly, without warning, I coughed up this big blob of bloody mucus, it went all over the page of the book I was reading!
    I was so scared. This was a revelation to me.
    Smoking had always been a social issue for me, a way of connecting with others. But I realized, at that moment, that when the time comes to face the consequences, it won't be as part of a group. It'll be just me, alone.
    If that makes any sense.
    I mean, all my friends smoked, and I justified my smoking by saying to myself, well look, it can't be that bad since we ALL do it. We're all in it together.
    But sitting there, I suddenly realized that when I finally contract a terminal illness, it won't be all my friends; it'll be just me, sitting there alone hacking up blood. That's how it will happen.
    I never smoked another cigarette.
    A few months later, I went to the doctor and had a physical, and there was nothing wrong with my lungs. He said the reason I coughed up blood was probably bronchitis.
    But the revelation stayed with me... the idea that, no matter how many other people are willing to join me in my addiction, at the end it will be me, all alone, suffering the consequences. Death cuts us from the pack, it hunts each of us down one by one. And I decided that is NOT the way I want to die. I don't want to die of emphysema or lung cancer. I'm afraid of that.

So anyway, yeah. I coughed up blood, and it turned out to be nothing serious. But it is what finally convinced me to quit, after almost fifteen years.
    I only wish i'd done it sooner, for my kids' sake. But I'm a selfish person, i guess. I couldn't quit for them. I quit for me.
    I had surprisingly little craving for cigarettes after I quit. It was easier than i thought it would be.
    But I used Nicotine gum, and i still haven't entirely quit that (it's been almost four years).
    Every once in awhile, I still chew a piece of Nicotine gum. I'm finding it harder to quit that than it was to quit cigarettes.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
    just1primate
    (male)

just1primate HB User

Well, I had a full CT a yr ago that was clear. And Last month an X-rAY THAT WAS COMPLETELY CLEAR. I am sure it is nothing but the bronchitis I just got after quitting smoking.

Closed Thread