It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Diagnosed with BFS - Anxiety now getting the best of me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
    guinness67
    (male)

guinness67 HB User
    Diagnosed with BFS - Anxiety now getting the best of me

I was diagnosed with BFS (benign fasciculations) last June and have been twitching off and on since May 2005. My twitching is extremely bearable right now, for which I am very thankful. I have seen a neuro three times and have been given the all clear that I don't have a neuro-muscular disease.

Unfortunately, my mind and body seem to be overtaken by anxiety. Uncertainties regarding this illness and internet diagnosing have created a monster case of anxiety. While I haven't been self-diagnosing myself since last summer, my anxiety has been growing steadily since last fall.

I am curious to find out if my symptoms are consistent with others suffering from anxiety. Currently, I am experiencing the following physical symptoms:

Stiff neck
    Tight neck muscles (on the side of my neck) actually running from my jaw to below my collar bone
    Some tingling in my cheeks and chin
    Tightness in shoulders
    Lump in throat ( which I believe is very common)
    Some dizziness

Do any of you experience similar physical symptoms? I would really appreciate your responses as I am trying to convince myself that these symptoms are the result of my anxiety and not something totally physical.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User
    Re: Diagnosed with BFS - Anxiety now getting the best of me

Those can all certainly be anxiety I have had every one of those symptoms at one time or another and some together I have even had numbness in my face along with the tingling.The stiff neck and other parts are probably due to tension from the anxiety even if you dont think you have been tensed up you still could be.

Last edited by tnmomofive; 03-15-2006 at 07:48 PM.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

I've had most of those symptoms also. I have had the twitching muscles too.That is what got my anxiety really going. I just kept thinking that i had ALS. You were smart by going to the doctor and getting it checked out. Saves alot of worry. Later on i went on an antidepressant and it really helped with the twitching and all the other anxiety symptoms i had..

Old 03-16-2006, 07:10 AM   #4
    guinness67
    (male)

guinness67 HB User

I have had these symptoms for several weeks now, is that unusual?

My GP gave me a prescription for Xanax 0.25 mg to take PRN. I don't know if it alleviates my symptoms because it knocks me out for hours.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
    HossD5
    (male)

HossD5 HB User

That is how it all started for me. I got twitches from anxiety, then went on the internet and looked it up and found that it was common in ALS. Then I began to feel weak on my right side like ALS. Went to 3 different neuros who all pretty much said there is no way, and even ran tests for me just for reassurance. Anyways 2 years later I am still have the "feeling of weakness" on the right side but much less often. It's amazing what anxiety an your mind can make you do. I take Kolonopin whenever I am getting revved up. Maybe once every ten days. This helped alot with the twitches. By the way since I feel weak on the right side I have all kinds of tightness all down the left side.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
    guinness67
    (male)

guinness67 HB User

Thanks to those who have responded. Has anyone else had these symptoms? How long did they last?

Old 03-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
    Pointz
    (male)

Pointz HB User

I have daily twitching in my legs and used to have dizziness. My legs twitch off and on moreso when I lay down or watch TV. My doc believes they are BFS due to stress/anxiety. I have had a lot of the symptoms you mentioned and I am still here. I due need to get the twitches checked out but my doc says bad things like *** would start in a centralized body part like a hand and work their way through the limb so I shouldn't worry since I twitch in both legs and arms occasionally. Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread