It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Need advice on labs for adrenal & hormones

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
    also2tired
    (female)

also2tired HB User
    Need advice on labs for adrenal & hormones

I posted this on the thyroid board, but I will post here also because you all might have more knowledge regarding these kinds of tests.

I finally got my saliva test results.

Cortisol:
    7-8 am 7 Depressed (13-24)
    11-Noon 5 Normal (5-10) This one is barely normal.
    4-5 pm 2 Depressed (3-8)
    11-midnight 2 Normal (1-4)

Cortisol Burden: 16 (23-42)
    DHEA 2 Depressed (3-10)

Estradiol: 15
    Ref Values for this say postmenopause-No HRT 1-4
    HRT Target range: 5-13
    Follicular: 5-13
    Luteal: 7-20

Progesterone: >1000 (Does not say "Elevated" or anything else next to the number. Confusing.)
    Ref: Hrt target 100-300
    Follicular: 20-100
    Luteal: 65-500

Free testosterone: 35 Elevated
    Borderline: 5-7
    Normal: 8-20

What do you all think about these results? What does follicular and luteal mean? The saliva test was done on day 19 of my cycle.

Does this look like adrenal fatigue to you? Should I ask the doctor for hydrocortisone? Because of symptoms a couple of months ago, I tried adrenal glandulars already, but I did not do too well on them. They did not help at all after 5 weeks on them and they either caused my dizziness, or else being dizzy was just from hypo, etc. (The dizziness has went away now.) I did not take any adrenal supplement for 4 weeks before this test. Any and all advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, do you think this is why I am not seeing much improvement in my hypo?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2006, 07:18 AM   #2
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
    Re: Need advice on labs for adrenal & hormones

It appears you may have a serious suppression of your adrenal glands and that can affect other hormone tests. This is potentially a life threatening condition and you need proper tests to verify the situation. I don't know what adrenal granuals are or if they do anything for adrenals. If they do, you might well have caused your own suppression. It can take up to a year to recover fully from such a suppression. Self medicating for adrenal problems is not recommended!

Get to the doctor and have him conduct blood and 24 hour urine collection tests for cortisol and have a complete hormone panel done. If those don't come back normal, then you need more provocative tests to prove adrenal insufficiency.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
    also2tired
    (female)

also2tired HB User

Thanks for the reply, orion. I know it can be dangerous to self-medicate, so I did not take anything without talking to the doctor about it. The adrenal glandulars were given to me by the doctor because I was not responding to thyroid hormone, and some of my symptoms seemed more adrenal-related. He said that thyroid and adrenal problems often go hand in hand. After the glandulars did not help, he recommended that I do a saliva test so that he could see my cortisol levels throughout the day. I have an appointment with him next week, but I try to get as much information as I can before I see him. I would not be surprised if my adrenals were deficient because I have had signs of hypothyroidism since I was six or seven years old, and my adrenals have probably been affected by that health condition for the last 30 years and also tons of stress.

By the way, I came across some articles that mentioned that adrenal glandulars were often NOT effective (not strong enough) in people who were already quite low in cortisol. Maybe that is me. Anyway, thanks for your advice.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
    SadFreek
    Veteran
    (male)

SadFreek HB User

the saliva test is the most effective way of knowing what your true cortisol levels are. Not the 24 hours urine tests. (although it is helpful)

Old 03-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SadFreek
    the saliva test is the most effective way of knowing what your true cortisol levels are. Not the 24 hours urine tests. (although it is helpful)
    Unfortunately the saliva test is not diagnostic for adrenal problems. Cortisol levels vary dramatically over short periods of time and day by day even in "normal" people. Low or high readings can't be interpreted and can't be used by doctors to establsh adrenal problems.

The 24 hour cortisol test is meant to show total cortisol output for one day. It is diagnostic for very low values or very high values but not for values in or near the normal range. This test can identify cushings and adrenal failure.

Only a provocative test which stimulates the pituitary or adrenals can be used to verify adrenal insufficiency. By its nature, adrenal insufficiency means that the adrenals might be working just fine for normal situations but in time of stress the adrenals fail to produced cortisol in sufficient quantity. As a result a saliva test and the 24 hour test will show normal results and are thus not useful diagnostic tools for this condition.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
    SadFreek
    Veteran
    (male)

SadFreek HB User

you are right. I forgot about the stimulating test. I want to have that run on myself actually, but my doctor is stuck in 1970's or earlier technology (sp?)

Closed Thread