It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• reality + feeling distant

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
    Breathingtroubl
    (male)

Breathingtroubl HB User
    reality + feeling distant

I regularly feel really disconnected from the world around me, ive seen another thread on here with the exact same feelings i get but there does not seem to be many replys.
    it can happen anytime and it really is a horrible feeling, my thoughts seem to rush and im constantly thinking these confused thoughts about life and why im here and weird things like that(this just started recently and now im constantly worrying like this)
    I can still go out with my mates and go to college and do whatever i want pretty much, but i get lost in those thoughts quite a bit of the time its really not very nice
    quick replys would be really appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
    Therag
    Veteran
    (male)

Therag HB User
    Re: reality + feeling distant

I also get these thoughts. I feel weird, as if I am watching myself with someone elses eyes. I feel unreal. I think sometimes 'what's the point of existence'

Old 03-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
    Dance4jc
    Veteran

Dance4jc HB User

It sounds to me like you disassociate. Disassociation is real and it is usually sparked by some sort of anxiety or stress. You may want to talk to your doctor about it.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:12 AM   #4
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

I completely agree with Dance4jc. What you describe sounds like a type of dissociation; most likely depersonalization or derealization. With both those though, reducing anxiety, stress or depression can eliminate or lessen the severity of dissociation.

SGH

Old 03-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
    jlh2605

jlh2605 HB User

Hey, I have these feelings of dissociation fairly regularly as well, I suffer from depression and social anxiety disorder, and have recently been started on venlafaxine which is really helping. My psychiatrist said that dissociation was my way of dealing with anxiety, the medication has helped with the anxiety and I don't dissociate as often now.

Medication may be a bit drastic if you don't suffer any other mental health problems, but dissociation is commonly related to anxiety, and anything you can do to reduce your anxiety will reduce the dissociation. I'm afraid I have't been able to come up with any good ways to bring me out of the dissociated state, I usually have to just wait it out, but if anyone knows of any good ways, PLEASE let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
    MissAngela
    Veteran
    (female)

MissAngela HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlh2605
    Hey, I have these feelings of dissociation fairly regularly as well, I suffer from depression and social anxiety disorder, and have recently been started on venlafaxine which is really helping. My psychiatrist said that dissociation was my way of dealing with anxiety, the medication has helped with the anxiety and I don't dissociate as often now.

Medication may be a bit drastic if you don't suffer any other mental health problems, but dissociation is commonly related to anxiety, and anything you can do to reduce your anxiety will reduce the dissociation. I'm afraid I have't been able to come up with any good ways to bring me out of the dissociated state, I usually have to just wait it out, but if anyone knows of any good ways, PLEASE let me know, I'd really appreciate it.
    I also have had this before. Did your therapist say it was dangerous? I hope not. That is one of my major concerns.

Thanks
    -Angela

Closed Thread