It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Xanax Comedown Symptoms...info please?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
    GB1960
    (female)

GB1960 HB User
    Xanax Comedown Symptoms...info please?

I had a hysterectomy in Dec and the Doc prescribed Ativan for sleep disturbences...after several weeks of that he changed it to Xanax .5 nightly for less hangover effect.

Ever since then about 3-5 AM every single morning I get this dizzy feeling in my head and then an acidy feeling on my tounge followed by the electric feeling jolts down my body over and over for several hours.

Could this be from coming down from the benzos?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
    Re: Xanax Comedown Symptoms...info please?

Not sure, but also could be "hormonal". I had a hysterectomy and right after had horrible mental issues!!! I've been on xanax and dalmane for 20yrs or more off and on. After I had my last ovary removed the next few day on my way to work had to run to my doctors office and get help, severe anxiety! All I can say is get all drugs out of your system! that is what I am doing now and feeling like I am losing it!! A pill here and there, probably no problem, but when you have to carry them everywhere you go, or worry about how many you have left... its not working. Now I am in total hell trying to taper off this mess. I believe my issues were "hormonal" seeing in my 20's I had a hysterectomy,, one ovary left, but they claimed I was not "menapausal". So I continued to decline, total back herniated, arthritis, degenerative etc...many surgeries if only a caring, knowledgeable DR had intervened??? we have to do all the research!! again, that is why the only "PRACTICE", ugh!!!! now I face more surgeries and holding off. Good luck, trust your "gut" and leave any substance that is foreign out of your body! I'm sticking to tapering the drugs and having a few beers, til I am clean.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

XANAX is the worst drug on the market in my opinion. If people only knew what it does to them and how addictive it is and how hard it is to get off of. my advice is to stop taking them NOW....and never take another one and if a doctor wants to prescribe them, walk out the door...................if you have to taper, do it...cold turkey can cause many problems including seizures..............

Old 03-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Run a search on for the Ashton Report, it's a great source of info on benzo's and is easy to find.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Yup, sounds like the very starting stages of xanax/benzo withdrawl that I experienced.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I highly recommend that you do not start taking the xanax and get and stay off all benzos. I wish so much i never would have started taking them. (I have always taken them as directed) When i tried to quit in the past my ex-doctor said i would be on them forever. I am still trying to get off them. My short-term memory is shot.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

I agree, it sounds like the initial phase of benzo WD. Xanax, all benzos, are very rapidly addictive. The acidy tongue will evolve further where taste and smell will be metallic...the impact to taste/smell is a very strange part of xanax WDs. The electric jolts are very common w/Xanax WDs... that too will evolve where you just want to crawl out of your skin and scream.

Xanax WDs are the worst and the longest lasting post detox....Ultram/Tramadol is also bad...worse than Vicodin, but as bad as Xanax...Xanax is a drug straight from the depths of hell as far as I am concerned. Sorry, I don't mean to scare you, but it is a horrible drug. It is difficult that you will have to go through this. Trust me--you will eventually have to go through it whether it is now or later---putting it off only makes it worse I think. Do not stop abruptly; there is a risk of seizures when abruptly stopping Xanax. Several people on this board have posted about knowing someone who has had seizures. You must do a slow taper and switch to a longer half life benzo, preferrably Valium---read the Ashton Manual online. It has very specific rationale and guidelines for switching and tapering. I know our posts are frightening you, but just know that many of us detoxed safely from Xanax and so can you! You will have much support from folks on this board. But, you will need medical support as well in order to switch to Valium. You need to do your homework online with the Ashton Manual and be prepared to present sound information to your doctor with your request so he/she understands why you are making the request. I would recommend you that print relevant parts of the Ashton Manual and Dr. Ashtons's curriculum vitae and take those to your doctor so he/she will trust her credentials.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

isn't it amazing how different the human body can be from one person to another, I've come off both Xanax and Ultram (not abuse levels though, although short to mid term use) without any noticeable W/D's and yet many people have awful stories to tell.

I hope things calm down for you soon, try alternative care, it's the best source of treatment at this stage of W/D I think.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-30-2006 at 10:25 AM. Reason: do not negate others' experiences

Old 03-28-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

The research on Xanax and Ultram is very clear. Both are quickly and highly addictive with risks of extensive WDs for most people. If used long term both have risks of seizures if abruptly discontinued. As with all things, there will always be exceptions.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-30-2006 at 10:27 AM. Reason: do not chastise other members!

Closed Thread