It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Upper Gastric Symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
    Lotus_Blossom
    Inactive
    (female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User
    Upper Gastric Symptoms

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone suffers from an upper Gastric fullness feeling during high times of Anxiety and stress.At times I feel so full in my upper Stomach it makes me uncomfortable.I take an Alka-Seltzer which makes me belch and the feeling kind of passes but when I think about the feeling it seems worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Upper Gastric Symptoms

digestive system problems are common from anxiety, read up about GERD and acid reflux on the net, heartburn is also common
    it helps to eat slowly, chewing the food well, to get more saliva mixed with it

another problem is gas and bad smells, caused by anxiety stopping normal operation of the system, with food rotting in the intestines
    for some reason, alfalfa tablets often help this a lot

Old 03-29-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User

Does it feel like a tight belt around the top of your stomach?
    Thats what i get, i feel like im bloated, totally uncomfrortable and crappy.
    Ive been tested for everything under the sun, and it all come back to anxiety.
    I suffer from ibs, which my doc says can effect your entire stomach ( not just your bowels)
    I, like yourself make it worse, because i focus to much on it.
    Linds

Old 04-01-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
    Lotus_Blossom
    Inactive
    (female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Lindsalou,
    Yes that is what it feels like..at times I feel so bloated it's almost like my air is being cut off.It got better for awhile but feeling it again..

Old 04-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
    Lotus_Blossom
    Inactive
    (female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

hry33,
    I do have problems with my Digestion..I don't have enough Enzymes so need to take Betaine HCL or Lipase.I don't digest Oregano Oil I found that out real quick.I also have Candida which affects the Stomach and Colon.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
    chis
    (female)

chis HB User

That's just what I'm battling now as an anxiety/stress symptom. I have been involuntarily tightening my stomach muscles everytime I get anxious. It's a horrible feeling which causes pain in my diapham and probably hyperventilation because the tightness causes my breathing to shift to chest breathing instead of stomach. Then it feels like a tight belt around stomach all day and tons of gas. The more I think about it the more my insides knot up. I've been taking Paxil 10mg which worked great for years but about 2 years ago all my symptoms started to come back. I'm wondering if a xanax would help me relax and break the cycle of the habit of knotting my own stomach?

Old 04-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
    Jennsie

Jennsie HB User

I have major chest and stomach discomfort like you all have been describing and I can never tell if it's anxiety, or something else like GERD or post nasal drip. I am feeling like that RIGHT now, so I took a Xanax and I'm going to see if it goes away...

Old 04-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
    Lotus_Blossom
    Inactive
    (female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Chis,
    Right now I feel bloated and distended in my upper Stomach and my breath feels like it is being cut off..it kind of feels like something heavy is weighting me down or there isn't enough room..very tight..yes I would think Xanax will help you relax but also letting go of tension is also helpful..

Old 04-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
    Lotus_Blossom
    Inactive
    (female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Jennsie,
    I don't have GERD at least not to my knowledge..have Heartburn/Indigestion occasionally but not to bad and it eases after taking an Antacid..was told they stop digestion and Stomach acids..

Old 04-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User

Chris,
    You are the first person ever to acurately discribe what i suffer with. I tense my stomach muscles to the point that i feel like ive done 1,000 sit ups.
    As for the gas! well.
    I sometimes feel like i want to rip my stomach open just to get some relief.
    Its reassuring to know im not the only one with this!
    Linds

Old 04-03-2006, 06:02 AM   #11
    marys62
    (female)

marys62 HB User

I am so relieved to hear there are others out there who have this issue too. Sometimes it feels like my stomach is pushing up in to my chest and I can't breathe right. It usually starts with a little pain under my breastbone then gets worse over a few days. I think it is from breathing in my chest instead of from my stomach. I can't tell if it is something digestive or from anxiety - or both!

mary

Old 04-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

I have been having what I guess is indigestion and heart burn alot lately I have burning in my chest left or right sides and sometimes the middle.I have had the other thing you guys speak of too the full stomach feeling and feeling like I cant breathe

Old 04-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #13
    Lotus_Blossom
    Inactive
    (female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Mary that is what it feels like..pushing of Stomach into chest and can't breathe right..like there is not enough room..

Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #14
    Lotus_Blossom
    Inactive
    (female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

TNmomofive,
    It isn't so much an Indigestion/Heartburn feeling for me just an uncomfortable bloated feeling..Indigestion/Heartburn can be just as miserable!Hope you feel better soon

Old 04-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #15
    marys62
    (female)

marys62 HB User

I agree - I rarely get indigestion or heartburn of any sort - just that upward pressure. It comes and goes - can't figure out why!

mary

Closed Thread