It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Help tapering off ativan.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
    Jndls1982
    (male)

Jndls1982 HB User
    Help tapering off ativan.

I am a 23 year old. I have been taking ativan for about 1 and a half years. I want to taper off the medicine because I think that it is making me have more anxiety. I take 0.5 mg three times a day. What I have done so far is cut the pill into four seperate pieces and started taking 3/4 of the pill instead of the whole pill. It is a small pill so I can't really cut it into smaller peices. But if anyone has a better idea, It would be appreciated. I know I am not taking a huge amount compared to some people, but I need help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
    encoreunfois
    Inactive

encoreunfois HB User
    Re: Help tapering off ativan.

Hi Jndls
    Good for you for realising your position.
    Suggest you read the thread on benzos, klonopin,xanax.
    Google, ********, print and read "The Ashton Manual" - it's very manageable - but dont try to go too fast. About a 10% reduction per fortnight............... and ativan is no good to taper off - you need to change over to valium - explanation as per Ashton.
    I tapered off Ativan - had been taking 3 mg of ativan - crossed over to an equivalence of valium of 30 mg and tapered down slowly - took me over 6 months - but its very manageable - watch Donna above!
    Good luck
    encore

Old 04-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
    Jndls1982
    (male)

Jndls1982 HB User

Won't switching over to valium just get me hooked on valium? Can I just slowly lower my ativan dosage every 2-3 weeks?

Old 04-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
    Jndls1982
    (male)

Jndls1982 HB User

Also, My doctor prescribed me hydroxyzine for some withdrawal symptoms. I don't know if I should take it...I haven't yet and I probably won't until I know a little more about it.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

valium stays in your system much longer than ativan so its easier to taper. with ativian you go and up and down every 5 or 6 hours. Once you crossover to valium, you can taper it without such bad side effects. Hydroxyzine is atarax and you can find information about it on line. I have tried to taper off of xanax which is like ativan andi had a lot of uncomfortable side effects. Now i am trying the ashton method. I hope you will check it out: Dr. Heather Ashton, Ashton Manual.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
    Jndls1982
    (male)

Jndls1982 HB User

A week ago I cute of 1/4 of my dose and I feel that I might want to cut another 1/4 off of my current dosage. Its been a week and I feel stabilized. Should I do it?

Old 04-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I would go slower, like 1/10th of your dose. The first time i cut the xanax i went to 3/4 of a pill and did ok, when i went to halves, it was hell. electric nightmares with demons, sensitivity to light and sound, a horrible odor, and all the anxiety, social anxiety, agoraphobia came back from 10 years ago. within 30 minutes - an hour of taking a xanax, i was fine again. Now i am tapering with the ashton manual. It is a very slow taper.

have you checked out the Ashton Manual yet? What do you think about it?

donna

Last edited by rosebuddy; 04-12-2006 at 07:26 AM.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
    Jndls1982
    (male)

Jndls1982 HB User

I have looked at the ashton manual, I am just scared to switch to valium...I am not quit sure what I think about it. How do I take 1/10 of my dose?

Old 04-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
    az1964
    (female)

az1964 HB User

Hi, I too am trying to stop ativan...my last pill was on mon night, and I feel horrible, I am shaking and just feel like I am losing it. My Dr. prescribed this for anxiety and a heart problem about 2 months ago, so that is why I am on it. Would love to hear from you. How long have you been taking it?

Old 04-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
    Jndls1982
    (male)

Jndls1982 HB User

I have been on Ativan for 1 1/2 years. Did you just stop taking it "cold Turkey" or are you slowly taking it. If you start too bad...I dunno...JUst be careful. Ativan sucks to get off of. I am having to slowly get off of it. It is a horrible experience.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
    az1964
    (female)

az1964 HB User

I just stopped, because I am so scared of taking it anymore. My dr. gave me lunesta to try for sleep as I just cannot sleep.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
    Jndls1982
    (male)

Jndls1982 HB User

I understand that you are scared. I am scared too. But if you feel that your going completely lose it. You might need to start taking it again and slowly cut back on it. What did it do to you when you were on it that made you so scared to take it?

Old 04-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #13
    az1964
    (female)

az1964 HB User

I am just so afraid of being addicted to it...it is the only thing that has helped me sleep. I was given the prescription for this for anxiety and a heart problem I had. Your Dr. kept giving you refills for over a year? Do you take it at night as well? How much do you take now?

Old 04-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
    Jndls1982
    (male)

Jndls1982 HB User

To be honest. My doctor didn't know(or didn't tell me) that ativan is extremly addictive. He kept saying as long as it worked then to keep taking it. He had no problem giving me refills. I had to learn the hard way. It wasn't helping but a little bit and I didn't want to admit it to myself that I was hooked on it. I read up on it and the longer you take it the more you need. YOu build a tolerance to it. I didn't suffer as bad anxiety before I started taking it. Just mild anxiety due to stress. But as the year progressed, I was feeling worse and worse. I take 0.5 three times a day. I didn't think that such a small dose would be this hard to get off of. It has destroyed a year of my life and for other people, it has taken away 10 or 20 years. Go to [url]http://www.**********.uk[/url]. But don't get yourself all worked up though. Maybe you haven't been on it long enough to hurt you too bad. But I dunno. I am having trouble myself getting off of it myself. How much do you take?

Old 04-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #15
    Jndls1982
    (male)

Jndls1982 HB User

ok, that blockked the link. But go to a search engine and type in Benzo. org or something

Closed Thread