It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• how can you have an ACTH test if you are on Cortef???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2006, 03:36 AM   #1
    Sage48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
    how can you have an ACTH test if you are on Cortef???

Hello all,

I have an appt. with my Endo. Dr. in May. I am on 20 mg. Cortef for Adreanal Insuf. My doctor wants me to have an ACTH test before I come in for my May visit. I have a question....if I am on Cortef, how will I get a valid test result?
    I have been feeling so much better since I started taking the Cortef last fall, but the Dr. said something about maybe coming off of it.....if my test results are normal?????? How can they be abnormal if I am taking a replacement? I do not like meds......but I was sooooooo sick before beginning cortef, I would not like to risk that again....but if my adrenals are happy and normal again, I would wean from the cortef.

Thanks for any and all replies...hope that you all have a energetic day!!!!

Sage

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
    robinhy
    (female)

robinhy HB User
    Re: how can you have an ACTH test if you are on Cortef???

I had one endo take me off of HC for 1 week so that he could retest my pituitary/hypothalamus, I have secondary adrenal insuf. I'm not completely sure that was enough time off but he said it was. He was some hot shot doc that turned out to be an absolute jerk...so take it for what it's worth.
    Robin

Old 04-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #3
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
    Re: how can you have an ACTH test if you are on Cortef???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sage48
    I am on 20 mg. Cortef for Adreanal Insuf. My doctor wants me to have an ACTH test before I come in for my May visit. I have a question....if I am on Cortef, how will I get a valid test result?
    You can't. You should not have been given cortef until after the ACTH test, otherwise the test results are pretty much meaningless.

I would try to reduce your cortef use, going down 2.5 mg/day one week at a time. If you can get down to 5-10 mg/day then at least you will have some adrenal function possible when you do take the test.

Remember that during times of stress it may be necessary to increase the cortef, and then return to your previous level. Normally stress means something like a serioius car accident or a fever.

Closed Thread