It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• can someone read this MRI result?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
    hey_all
    (male)

hey_all HB User
    can someone read this MRI result?

hi all,

thanks for taking the time of reading my post. I've just received the results of a brain MRI and MRA with and w/o contrast.

Thanks God the MRI came back normal. But the MRA reads something that I don't understand:

Findings:

- Dominant right vertebral artery
    - Some attenuation of the left vertrebal artery before forming the basilar artery
    - Drop of signal noted at the petrous part of the carotid arteries but with contrast not well appreciated
    - Anterior cerebral, posterior cerebrals and middle cerebral arteries are unremarkable
    - No gross pathology noted in the circle of Willis
    - Unremarkable sagittal sinus
    - Some asymmetry of the transverse sigmoid sinus with dominant seen on the right side in comparison to the left
    - Unremarkable straight sinus
    - Unremarkable cortical veins

I'm a non-native speaker of English, so this looks like ASP for me

My sympotms: persistent pressure headache for more than 3 months, nausea, sometimes vomiting, VERY VERY bad fatigue and tiredness, sometimes high BP, I feel my pulses in my head, I can count them from my head. The pulses are sometimes painful. These symptoms didn't start together, the headache > high BP > nausea and vomiting > fatigue and tiredness. So far, I don't care about my headache, I can take it, but what is killing me is the fatigue. Received many treatment, NONE helped at all, beta-blockers, NSAID's, anti-nausea, anti-depressents. As of now, I do NOT want any diagnosis, all what I want is a RELIEF.

Any idea?

I will see my neuro in a week.

Thanks all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: can someone read this MRA result?

The vertebral arteries supply the brain in addition to the internal carotids. The two vertebral arteries come up the brainstem and join at the base of the brain to form the basilar artery (one single, midline artery). So the dominant right vertebral artery and some attenuation (loss of signal) from the left vertebral artery going towards the basilar artery means that the right vertebral artery is contributing more to the basilar artery than the left.

I'm not sure about the drop of signal of the carotid arteries... The second part says that with contrast it is unremarkable, so maybe they just couldn't see it without the contrast but with it they could.

Your cerebral arteries and circle of willis are all arterial structures (take blood to the brain), and they are all fine, according to the report.

The sagittal sinus, cortical veins, and straight sinus are all venous structures (drain blood away from brain), and they are all fine, according to the report.

The asymmetry of the transverse sigmoid sinus just means that the vein on the right side is larger than the vein on the left side.

So pretty much everything is good, except for some asymmetries. It could be that these asymmetries are normal variation, or they could be related to your symptoms (either the cause or the result). But that's for your doctor to answer. Hope that helps.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
    hey_all
    (male)

hey_all HB User
    Re: can someone read this MRI result?

That was really informative.

Thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate your help.

So you think this is normal, that's really good. I'll keep you updated when I see my neuro. I'll try to push the appt. to make it earlier.

Thanks again ...

Old 04-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
    hey_all
    (male)

hey_all HB User

I saw my neuro. He said everything is normal, so serious things in the brain are ruled out now ... that's the good news ...

the bad news, he was pushing me to say EVERYTHING that i feel, he is very nice ... so i told him about that very little and very easy flank pain that goes to my testicles, along with the nausea and vomiting, he told me i'm pretty sure these are kidney stones, so i'm scheduled for a KUB x-ray ...

in the meantime, he requested more blood work, and prescribed me another NSAID, and this is the third type of NSAID that i take, surprisingly and interestingly, it worked! i really missed the no-pain feeling, it was really good it's Votrex

i hope it keeps working

what else?

i'll see him next saturday for the blood work and urinalysis.

regards,

Old 04-18-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Really glad everything is okay in the brain,whew,huh?I am wondering though about the kidney stone theory?unless you are having some really excruciating low back/flank pain which from your description,really does not sound like you are?i would be thinking more of an actual kidney problem itself,not just possible kidney stones.has any doc actually done any sort of bloodwork on your kidneys at all?this would be the best very basic way of at least seeing how your overall kidney functions are.your high BPs,headaches and fatigue,and of course the intermittant type of pain and where you describe it as being, could very well all be related to the kidney.the BPs and the kidneys kind of "play off" each other?the kidneys just play a really big part on what your BPs actually are at.i think you should request to have bloodwork done on the kidneys soon.this could reveal alot about what is actually causing all of your ongoing symptoms.Good luck and please keepus all posted on what you find out.Marcia

Old 04-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #6
    hey_all
    (male)

hey_all HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad
    Really glad everything is okay in the brain,whew,huh?I am wondering though about the kidney stone theory?unless you are having some really excruciating low back/flank pain which from your description,really does not sound like you are?i would be thinking more of an actual kidney problem itself,not just possible kidney stones.has any doc actually done any sort of bloodwork on your kidneys at all?this would be the best very basic way of at least seeing how your overall kidney functions are.your high BPs,headaches and fatigue,and of course the intermittant type of pain and where you describe it as being, could very well all be related to the kidney.the BPs and the kidneys kind of "play off" each other?the kidneys just play a really big part on what your BPs actually are at.i think you should request to have bloodwork done on the kidneys soon.this could reveal alot about what is actually causing all of your ongoing symptoms.Good luck and please keepus all posted on what you find out.Marcia
    hey ... thanks for posting ...

yes, the pain is really easy, though, it irradiates from my right back side, along to my right testicle ... but it's so easy that i never thought of mentioning it to my neuro or any other doctor ...

anyways, i'm aware of the fact that the kidney has many things to do with the BP, so who knows?

so, when i saw him, he requested more blood work and urinalysis and kidney function analysis. i shall have the results by saturday, and tomorrow i will have the KUB x-ray ...

i think the NSAID stopped working, it didn't kill my headache today ... and the bad thing is that i'm thinking of getting one more pill ... one more to the dose specified by my neuro ... i don't want to do that ... so i will try pushing myself not to become dependent on the drug ...

thanks for caring, i will keep you updated ...

take care

Old 04-19-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

well,it sounds like the tests that were ordered are all the right ones,so thats good.at least once these tests are completed you should have a much better idea if your kidneys are the biggest issue here or not,and thats what you really do need to know right now.

when you mentioned adding one more 'pill".were you just thinking of adding another one of your NSAIDs or did the doc reccomend something for you?i know from experience that any real 'headpain' can be almost debilitating at times,so if you really need to add another pill,i would seriously speak with your doc about trying something else that may offer you better relief without the side effects of too much NSAID use.you DO deserve to have your pain treated appropriately,by whatever means the doc feels would be right for you.just remeber that any NSAID ,in most cases can sometimes be a bit hard on the kidneys themselves.

yes,by all means,please keep me posted on what you find out,K?hopefully it is nothing major.good luck 'hey' ,marcia

Old 04-29-2006, 12:28 AM   #8
    hey_all
    (male)

hey_all HB User

hi marcia ...

i know i was supposed to update u but i couldn't do that when i had my appt. sorry!

ok, i had the appt, all results came back normal ... neuro wants to refer me to a urologist ... i refused ... he insisted ... he was made at me ... but i insisted also i won't see him! i'm simply tired of going from a doctor to a doctor when i really can live with it ...

apparently the NSAID stopped working, the pressure feeling is killing me, but i can live with it, my ears really hurt ... the pressure on them is really strong ...

all what i can do right now is getting my mind busy ... this is the best thing i can do ...

and the worst part? sleeping! i can sleep normally, i have no problem with that, but the thing is that when i lie down the feeling is maximum because nothing can get my mind at that time ... and my heart beats in my head get really strong ...

neuro wants to see me in 3 weeks ... i will try not to see him ... but i know i will collapse ... as i did many times when i decided i will live with it!

interesting thing: my company requires its emplyoees who work in gas plants (like me) to be tested annualy for earing level ... i had the test ... my left ear was waaaaaay better than my right one .... the thing is that i never knew my right ear is weaker than the left one ... but i felt that during the test ... i don't know what the scale is, but my left ear result was 6, my right ear was 18 ... company standards 25: above that requires further tests ...

so this is it for today ...

sorry marcia for not updating u on time

Nasser

Old 04-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
    hey_all
    (male)

hey_all HB User

yesterday was really bad ...

i couldn't take the nausea so i just started vomiting ... i vomited 3 times yesterday ... unfortunately i couldn't find any relief ... the nausea lasted even after vomiting ...

and the headache was really painful this time ... for the first time in my life something holds from sleeping ... i was really tired and ready for sleeping ... but i couldn't, until after like 2 hours ... and when i opened my eyes this morning the headache was exactly like i lefted it yesterday ...

my body was really heavy ... like the gravity has doubled to 2g ... along with bad chills and cold sweats ...

i'm scared i will feel the same today ... because i feel much better today ... although i'm still nauseated

i don't know what to do!

Old 04-30-2006, 07:20 AM   #10
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

just what type of gas plant do you work in? is there any and i mean any,chance that you could have possibly been exposed to some sort of "bad" chemical there/have they ever had any sort of a haz mat type leak situation there that you were possibly exposed to something?

just something to check into.ya know,the fact that everything came up 'normal" with your testing,i am a bit suprised that your neuro wants to move you on to a urologist,unless he has some specific reason/test in mind for you.There are meds out there made specifically for nausea,i am kind of suprised that your neuro hasn't mentioned one to you.at least you wont feel like tyou are going to puke 24/7,ya know?

having to be dependant on a pill for ten days or ten years or the rest of your life,is not the end of the world.my son(because of liver failure and tx)has had to be on multiple meds for many years,its just part of his daily stuff he does and no big deal.I too am on about five seperate meds just to try and control my overwhelming pain syndromes and to treat my brain aneurysm.if these improve your life in some way,it IS worth it,ya know?if my son decided he just didn't want to let meds rule his life anymore,he would be dead.they DO improve your quality of life and in some cases,allow you to actually live a normal life.

I know the thought of "something' having any control over you kinda sucks but you have to look at the lessor of the two evils,you know what I mean/If I went off my meds,I would be curled up in a ball in my bed and would never be able to leave it just from the pain and the horrid spasticity that came along for the ride when my spinal cord was damaged.it really is no biggie.

you might want to consider changing neuros.what prompted you to seek out a neuro for this problem to begin with?maybe the uro that your neuro wants to send you to will have some ideas on just whats up.obviously something is going on but unfortunetly,as you are finding out,its not always easy to pinpoint just what the problem is.i do know that feeling well myself.but you need to know what is causing your symptoms,espescially the nausea.vomiting all the time can cause its own set of problems,such as dehydration.make sure you are drinking alot of water thru out your day.

I hope you can find out the reason for you ongoing symptoms,also,ask your neuro for something for the vomiting.there are alot of good anti nausea meds availiable to you.please keep me posted,marcia

Old 04-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
    hey_all
    (male)

hey_all HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad
    just what type of gas plant do you work in? is there any and i mean any,chance that you could have possibly been exposed to some sort of "bad" chemical there/have they ever had any sort of a haz mat type leak situation there that you were possibly exposed to something?

This is a very good theory. Never thought of it. I will mention it to my neuro. Well, i'm not sure if that is too technical or not, but our gas plant receives "crude" natural gas, that comes from gas wells, it contains a very bad, toxic, deadly, and corrosive substance which is hydrogen sulfide (H2S, many people in my company died because of leaks). So we have to separate it from our feed and further process the "clean" gas. So the idea of a possible exposure to this gas can be the key solution, because the gas generaly contains hydrocarbons which are somewhat "friendly". I will discuss it with my neuro. For your information, when a human inhales this gas, it starts corroding the organs and damages the nerves. Exposure to high concentration of H2S results in sudden death.

just something to check into.ya know,the fact that everything came up 'normal" with your testing,i am a bit suprised that your neuro wants to move you on to a urologist,unless he has some specific reason/test in mind for you.There are meds out there made specifically for nausea,i am kind of suprised that your neuro hasn't mentioned one to you.at least you wont feel like tyou are going to puke 24/7,ya know?

well, he wants to refer me to a urologist for the flank pain, not for my current headache problem. So he still wants to see me from time to time. He prescribed me some meds for ulcers i think, because NSAID's can cause them, as a preventive measure. I will discuss it with him, because the way i described the nasuea didn't get his attention, i'm one of those patients who don't talk and don't ask, big mistake i know.

having to be dependant on a pill for ten days or ten years or the rest of your life,is not the end of the world.my son(because of liver failure and tx)has had to be on multiple meds for many years,its just part of his daily stuff he does and no big deal.I too am on about five seperate meds just to try and control my overwhelming pain syndromes and to treat my brain aneurysm.if these improve your life in some way,it IS worth it,ya know?if my son decided he just didn't want to let meds rule his life anymore,he would be dead.they DO improve your quality of life and in some cases,allow you to actually live a normal life.

i didn't mean what you are thinking of, what i mean by being "dependent" is being addictive to the drug. Anyways, obivously i will not, because the voltarine is not working, actually my headache is getting worse. I absolutely have no problem being on a drug for the rest of my life if that helps. And i'm sorry for your son.

I know the thought of "something' having any control over you kinda sucks but you have to look at the lessor of the two evils,you know what I mean/If I went off my meds,I would be curled up in a ball in my bed and would never be able to leave it just from the pain and the horrid spasticity that came along for the ride when my spinal cord was damaged.it really is no biggie.

you might want to consider changing neuros.what prompted you to seek out a neuro for this problem to begin with?maybe the uro that your neuro wants to send you to will have some ideas on just whats up.obviously something is going on but unfortunetly,as you are finding out,its not always easy to pinpoint just what the problem is.i do know that feeling well myself.but you need to know what is causing your symptoms,espescially the nausea.vomiting all the time can cause its own set of problems,such as dehydration.make sure you are drinking alot of water thru out your day.

i saw him because of my headache, which is like a pressure feeling more than a pain feeling. Sometimes it gets painful, but most of the time it's a strong pressure inside my head,it really annoys me, it disturbs me, but never made me stop working, but this time i'm thinking of having a week off because it's getting really bad this time. i also constantly feel my heart beats, sometimes they are painful but most of the time they are not. The urologist thing was because i told him about the flank pain, he wanted me to see a uro for this problem, but he still wants to see me from time to time. I'm scheduled for an appt in two weeks, apparently i will try to make it this week.

I hope you can find out the reason for you ongoing symptoms,also,ask your neuro for something for the vomiting.there are alot of good anti nausea meds availiable to you.please keep me posted,marcia
    thanks for caring marcia, you are the first and the only person in this world, besides my neuro who understands what i'm going through.

He is really nice, he understands and listens, he pushes me for everything. I swear i have never seen a doctor like him.

and i swear also i have never seen someone like you

thank you

Nasser

Last edited by hey_all; 04-30-2006 at 10:37 AM.

Closed Thread