It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• PVC's ruining QUILITY of Life!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User
    PVC's ruining QUILITY of Life!

Hello all. I have posted a few times, but mostly lurk and read. I have had a history of PVC's for about 10 yrs. Before that, I had sporadic incidences, that would scare me, but it was only 1 PVC. (those were the days!) Now, as you all may know from reading some of my posts, I have literally 10 PVC's on avg. per MINUTE! Last 48 hr. holtor monitor was worn May '05, and showed 18,000 PVC's. I am literally exhausted, tearful, and depressed beyond belief. I am 47, and the older I get, the more fierce and forceful they get. I try so hard to lead a normal life. Play with my grandchildren whom I love with all my life. But it is a major production for me to set anything in stone as far as planning for outings with family memners etc. I mean "what if it's a bad day?" I have had to cancel so may times, i usually don't get taken seriously when I do say "I'll be there." That's how I live my life. I am sitting here writing this crying lke a baby. I fear everything. It seems there is no real cause for the PVC's. I do notice however, that I absolutely cannot eat a heavy meal at night, especially, because I will be awake ALL night with my heart throwing PVC's left and right. I live near the Austin area. Just wondering if any fellow Texans out there know of a really good elctrophisiologist? I did see one, but he tired of me after about 2 yrs. of trying his best to tell me I was not going to die. I did however have a few episodes of nonsustained v-tach. It showed up as 3 PVC's in a row. He said that technically, it wasn't true V-tach, because my HR was barely over 100 when it happened and went right back to 70 something. Oh MY!! I am probably the most obcessed person on this board. I am totally Obcessed with having V-tach and have even considered investing in one of those FDA approved Defibulators now on the market. Please don't judge me. It is so sad. No, I am not crazy, I am actually ( hard to believe) a professional woman that owns a lucrative business with my husband. But, I can no longer "pretend" and put on happy faces when my heart is pounding with PVC's. Mine are felt right in the middle of that little soft spot in the upper stomach area. Feels just like a baby kicking. I have been on Corgard ( an older beta blocker) for over 20 yrs. I used to have tachycardia a lot more. Last summer, Cadiologist tried me on Topral 100 XL, and it was a nightmare. ( for me personally.I know it's a good drug for some) My heart raced everytime I even moved from one couch to another. It has helped so may people. It just wasn't for me. I got back on the Corgard on my own ( heck, I'd eat plain DIRT if it would help just a tad) and called Doc. And he said it was fine. The Corgard, not the dirt..ha. I think they are all really tired of me and my crying and breaking down in their office. They had all seen how many I have, but still INSIST i need a good Phychiatrist. Well, maybe I do.. BUT.. They should have to live just one hr. like those of us with multiple PVC's just so they would know how it feels. And I don't say that in a hurtful way. When I wore the 30 day event monitor 2 yrs. ago, it showed electro doc that I did have soooo many PVC's but he says ablation is not for me because my heart's electrical system is firing from several areas. LUCKY ME! I always was the lil achiever! Thank you all so much for reading this too long post. I will now go and take my second Xanax of the day. I take on average 2 mg. daily to help with the stress this has put on me. I'm sure I will have to deal with the Xanax one day. I have never ever taken it more than prescribed though. I am scared out of my mind to take meds. I will not even take antihistimines. I drink NO caffeine, eat no choclate, drink no sugar,or alcohol, only water. boring life, and I still get these life sucking, draining PVC's. Cyber Hugs to all. Kathy

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: mimiof3
    mikemagendo (08-12-2011),Svein51 (08-03-2011),Zilverwolf (03-12-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User
    Re: PVC's ruining QUILITY of Life!

Oh sweeti. I can SO identify. I hope you read my post 'Exhausting Vigilance'.

I know everything you are feeling. I know your fears. I know the dismissal we get from docs. And I know the complete lack of control you probably carry with you.

I am 32. And I decided that I CANNOT let this take over my life. It is a work in process. I still have the anxiety and depression over this and fear of death. But it is improving immensely. However, it wouldn't be without having a great psychiatrist, therapist, and medications.

Take a read thru my other post and let me know what you think about it. Let me know if you can relate and how I can possibly try to help you!!

Heather

Old 04-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
    Lovelydarling
    (female)

Lovelydarling HB User

I know how you feel, although I am not at the point of having a lot of them, I feel like I am waiting for the day where I am at your point. I know that will come, probably. The doctors shooed me away as well, and it is so frustrating when they see that it is not harming you yet, they don't know "how" you feel or how it is runnig your life. Your not crazy! Years ago I had major stomach problems, none of the tests came back that I had anything, yet I was sick as a dog! Finally my doctor said i should seek Psychiatric services, I did and I was still sick. After about 6 months of that I was again in the ER sick, and finally a doctor came in and said, "wow you are sick it is your gallbladder"

You see, when doctors don't know what else to do for you, they can write you off and say you need to see a shrink, when physically, you know you don't feel good.

I would seek another opinion there is always hope. For now, try to relax, worring about them only makes them worse. I will be thinking of you, and hoping you are going to find the help you need.

Last edited by Lovelydarling; 04-24-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User

Thank you so much for responding. It's reassuring to know there are others who KNOW what I am actually going though. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I am going to try and find your post you were teling me about. How do I get to it? Look up your user name and then all your posts? I'm sort of lost when it comes to these different threads for some reason. Thanks again! Kathy

Old 04-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mimiof3
    Thank you so much for responding. It's reassuring to know there are others who KNOW what I am actually going though. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I am going to try and find your post you were teling me about. How do I get to it? Look up your user name and then all your posts? I'm sort of lost when it comes to these different threads for some reason. Thanks again! Kathy
    Here is a link to the post..it is a couple below this one..

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=385556[/url]

Old 04-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
    mimiof3
    (female)

mimiof3 HB User

Heather, you are so young. Take this thing by the horns and FIGHT girl!! I know, I have heard this for many yrs. Don't ya just hate it when people tell ya to "pull up your socks" and get on with life? If they only knew! I have a sister that has been through stage 1-a ovarian cancer, so I feel so very guilty calling her when things are bad. But she is my support. You take care. i wish I were 32-34 again!!

Old 04-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
    tomh
    (male)

tomh HB User

I've had a taste of what you are feeling. My PVCs started about 6 weeks ago, with a vengeance, out of the blue. I've had valve replacement surgery among other ailments. My immediate thought was, maybe my time is up this time (again). Really scary. Then my cardio says "no problem, just go home and try not to dwell on it". My reaction was "you must have read somebody else's holter monitor". Funny, my Crohn's doc said the same thing. "Don't mess with diets. Relax and live life. Stress is the biggest factor". The PVCs do seem to get worse when I dwell on them. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy, like I can make them happen by worrying about them.

I trust the docs and am trying to take their advice. It's easier said than done, of course, but it does seem to work. I'm getting more exercise - with the cardio's blessing, and trying to stay occupied. Trying to avoid stress and still earn a living. They seem to be getting better (or am I getting better with the distractions?). Anyway, I just try to have faith that my time isn't up yet, that the PVCs won't kill me, and to live the fullest I can.

Hang in there!

Old 04-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #8
    Kimah5202
    Inactive
    (female)

Kimah5202 HB User

im 20 and get 3000 a day so i definitly feel your pain. i had so many plans for my life and its so hard for me to try to look forward to my future when im sure im gunna die. it really sucks...ive let myself become numb for now. i feel like everyone thinks im a hypochondriac so i never talk about it. i know i need to be in counseling but im not insured anymore. i feel like there are millions more things i could do in my life if i just didnt have my pvcs anymore...but i deal with it and i dont let myself feel saddness, its hard for me to cry about ANYTHING anymore....i dont think that enough is done to try and find a cure for these things...people say they are benign so its not very high on the list of things to cure im sure. no one can even come close to understanding how life altering it is to have so many they just assume im just freaking out cus im a hypo..well i got two little boys to take care of so for there sake im not gunna let this ruin my life...even if it kills me tommorow im gunna make the best of today. take care
    kim

Old 04-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
    seaecho
    (female)

seaecho HB User

Mimi, you aren't alone. Your post sounded SO MUCH like me that it was unreal! I have PVCs all the time too (I'm assuming that's what they are) and they are often every other beat. So it feels like two beats together, instead of one. I feel like I can't plan anything, or even really enjoy anything for fear I'll have a bad episode. Its no way to live. Like you, I want so much to be able to ENJOY my grandchildren without having that cloud of fear constantly over my head.

I'm 50, and I think I'm very near menopause. Could this possibly be why you are getting PVCs more frequently now? You are near my age, and while I've had PVCs since I was in my early 20s, they are the worst right now that they've even been, by far. And after reading some posts on some menopause boards, I see that many women have increased palps and PVCs around this time when our hormones are going crazy. This thought helps me when I'm at my lowest. It would be so nice if the PVCs, palps, etc., went away or even just lessened a bit after menopause! This thought helps to keep me going. Sometimes I feel such despair, because its so true that doctors treat this as if its nothing. Yet, we live in fear every day of our lives. I am on a beta blocker three times a day, and .5mg Xanax an average of twice a day. Its all that keeps me together enough so I'm not a shivering, cringing coward sitting in the corner.

I HATE it when doctors pat you on the head and say, "Its just anxiety - you'll be fine." But what can we do? I also had the echo and Holter, and my heart acted up TERRIBLY the night I had the Holter on. The cardiologist said, "You felt nothing but anxiety, right?" I said, "Yes." And he said, "Then there's nothing to worry about." I didn't bring up the incident where I went to the ER and felt like I was going to faint when my heart acted up REALLY bad for 15-20 minutes. I had seen spots before my eyes - it was that bad. I was afraid to remind him of it, even though I know it must have been written on my chart. That episode was the reason I was referred to him in the first place. I was afraid he'd say I was a candidate for sudden cardiac death or something!

So you see. . . you aren't the only basket case here. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the world who faces this on a daily basis, mainly because none of my friends, neighbors, etc., have ever experienced PVCs that are so frequent, and go on literally for hours at a time. Its very lonely and terrifying to face something like this, and no way to hide from it. So when you're feeling your absolute worst, think about me, and I'll do the same. It sometimes helps to know others are up against the same thing you are.

Randi

Old 04-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #10
    confused32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

confused32 HB User

I know exactly how you feel. I was told 5 years ago i had MVP. The palps up till there scared me to death i had no idea what was going on. They put me on a beta blocker (metoporol) i was on it for 5 yrs. I weaned myself off of it slowly and got off it in July. My palps dont come to often now but when they do they hit hard, it feels like my heart is flipping over in my chest and takes my breath away and i get hot. I use to get bad anxiety attacks when they would start doing their thing but after being on the beta blocker i guess it seemed to help up till i got pregnant about 2 years ago then they were back with a vengence. I got an IUD put in back in july when i actually quit the beta blockers my palps were bad the first few months but now i have not had a period in about 6 months and i think i have had maybe 10 palps in those 6 months. I am 34 so im not close to menapuse yet i guess but the thought of it scares me to death, i do not want the palps back bad again. Right now thought i am going through a bad time of anxiety due to pains that are considered heart attack early warning signs/ heart attack symptoms but im being told my heart is fine blah blah blah, that its just anxiety. I hate when doctors look at you and say oh its just anxiety here are some pills go home and you will be fine. They gave me some ativan at my last er visit, they seem to help when i get really worried about pains i might be having. I only take .5 mg a day if even that much, some days i can go without taking any. They want me on anti-depressants but i am to scared to take any medicine with side effects like ive read they have. I do not eat/drink anything with caffine, i havent for 5 years......no chocolate, no soda with caffine. I will not take any antihistimes they make me feel like i would rather be dead, and when i go to the dentist i get the ephi-free shots cause i cant handle the regular ones. My anxiety is so bad right now has been for 4 weeks that i have horrible heartburn off and on all day everyday, ive lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks. I also cant make plans to do anything cause i never know if its gonna be a BAD day or a GOOD day.......i have 3 girls that i raise alone they are 16,12 and 15 months, i feel like a horried mother cause sometimes they want to go places and im to scared to go cause i never know when i will start feeling anxious or have a anxiety attack. This is running my life, i am no longer in charge of my life i feel. I did go today and set up a treatment plan with a counsling center and im hoping that it helps, im just at a stand still and dont know where else to go. I also have made an appoitment with a new cardiologist to have him tell me what he thinks and if he agrees that i have nothing to worry about with my heart. Im glad these boards are here they really help when i start feeling down!!!!

Old 04-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
    rw82
    (female)

rw82 HB User

Exactly what is PVC ?

My symptoms: Fast Pulse in the 80's (90's - when I over do sugar or caffeine)I can hear the pulse in my ear and feel it in my neck almost daily.

I also feel like my heart is flip flopping in my chest at times and also have like three to five fast beats almost on top of each other ( not so often now).

This started over two years ago and all tests were fine. I was on a monitor for a few weeks and my heart rate would get to 130. I was sure I was a goner

Anyway, I take Toprol and things are much better. I want to get off it though.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #12
    GodChaser777
    (male)

GodChaser777 HB User

How hard are your PVC's? Do they just feel like tiny flutters sorta like nerves going nuts in your chest or actual flops?

Old 04-26-2006, 01:59 AM   #13
    tompbz
    (male)

tompbz HB User

I too have fluttering and thumping affects in my heart. I've been to the doctors 3 times in the last 5 months and they've told me that my heart is perfectly healthy. I can relate to you all that this is scary because I'm only 25. It comes and goes every other 2 weeks. I've been prescribed valium and motrin but none of these work. Any suggestions?

Old 04-26-2006, 04:09 AM   #14
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

I think supplements can be great. But so can many medications. I myself take both. But every individual case is different. Not all meds deplete nutrients, that simply isn't true. People need to be careful with herbs and supplements. They should never just take them without talking to their Drs first. Most of these are not as tested or approved by the FDA. Also, they could interfere with other medications or ailments.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-12-2006 at 06:18 AM. Reason: do not assume authority to tell others how to post. If a post seems inappropriate click "Report Bad Post".

Old 04-27-2006, 06:51 AM   #15
    ralve
    Inactive

ralve HB User

Hello to all of you, and especially to the person that started this thread, I don't remember the name, but.....I certainly could relate to your story!! I have also posted many times before, but haven't in a while. I am 46 years old, and live near the Houston area. I have been having PVC's and PAC's, (but MANY more PVC's) since I was about 30. There is no rhyme or reason to them. They just completely started out of the blue one day, and since then, have gone through many ups and downs, sometimes where I didn't have them at all, and other times, when it was all I could think about. This brings me to now, in which I live with PVC's each and every day, in the thousands. I have several per minute on the average. Sometimes they are more forceful than others, and more frequent, and that really gets more than annoying.
    The only thing, over the years, that I've been able to relate them to, kind of indirectly, is hormonal changes. I went through one year where they were so bad, I was wearing a holter moniter at one point, in which atrial fib was picked up (a small burst). I also was having irregular periods at the time, and at the time that I had my very last period, the palpitations totally stopped. I probably went through about a year with hardly any. Then, one day, out of the blue, they started up again kind of gradually. I felt like I couldn't move, I would wait in bed during the day while the kids were in school waiting for one. I was not living. Sure enough, my periods started again. Since then, we have relocated back here to near Houston, and now I just live with them, and even though they are very annoying and very scary sometimes, they really don't limit me. I have read enough to know that they are generally not dangerous, and I guess I sort of feel like, if I haven't died from them yet, then they probably aren't going to kill me anytime soon. I know they can lead to more dangerous heart rhythms (I guess??)...but I just try to eat healthy, drink A LOT of water, and I'm trying to loose weight. I also notice that I cannot eat heavy meals, or eat junk, or they start really bad. Just to clarify, I have them all the time, but they get worse when I do those bad things in the way that they become more noticable, more forceful, more fluttery, does that make sense? Sometimes I take my pulse, and I can tell that I had the skipped beat, but didn't feel much, but other times, like right now, my heart is skipping around in my chest doing cartwheels. I do get heartburn alot, and take pepcid, and sometimes the pepcid seems to settle things down. I take one aspirin usually per day because of the one episode of atrial fib that I had. I do need to go back to my cardiologist to find out if I should keep doing that, however.
    I don't take any vitamins currently because I have never found anything that helped, and in fact, the things that I have tried, such as certain supplements have only seemed to aggravate them. I tried a couple different medications, only to have them aggravate it also.
    So, I just wanted to relate with you my story. I am sort of at a loss with these things, and figure I will have them the rest of my life in one way or another. I would like to at least settle down the more forceful ones, that tend to make me very nervous. I do have to say, these boards saved my life. Back when I was more nervous about them, I wouldn't go far from the house. My family wanted to plan a trip to Disneyworld, and I couldn't even think of going there. But, then I came on these boards, and reading everyone else's posts and sharing stories helped me work through them, and I actually did take that trip, and many other trips. It really helps to come on here, because in day to day life, at least for me, I don't run into many people who can relate to what I have that I happen to tell, but on here, you find people in the same situation. I still have some problems, like I do like to stay within my 'comfort zone', and not wander too far from home when I'm on my own, but at least I can go anywhere with my family and travel. I have to say, though, that I would probably be nervous doing anythng too adventerous, like backpacking or something that would take me too far away from the nearest hospital. Which is really sad, because I think if it wasn't for these PVC's, I would be alot more active and adventerous. Like I said, I am 46, but I have a 12 year old, and I think that sometimes these PVC's sort of 'age' me in that I feel like I can't do the things that I wish I could do with her.
    Well, thanks for reading this, and I wish I could be more help other than to just say that I know how you are feeling. I do have a wonderful cardiologist group here near Houston, if you need anything like that. I know you said you were in Texas.
    Well, good luck and thanks for all the help!! Val

Closed Thread