It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Anyone else have a baby who won't voluntarily come off the boob...ever!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
    Rubydoo
    (female)

Rubydoo HB User
    Anyone else have a baby who won't voluntarily come off the boob...ever!

Does anyone else's baby never tell them when they have had enough? My 3 month old has never once spat out the boob to tell me she is full. I have to just watch her sucking and when i think she's not drinking anymore i take her off. It's really hard to know if she's had enough or not. She would stay on the boob 24/7 if she could!!!
    Anyone else have a baby like that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 05:05 AM   #2
    Yahuh
    (female)

Yahuh HB User
    Re: Anyone else have a baby who won't voluntarily come off the boob...ever!

I do! DD is 5 months and I wish I had nipped it i the bud sooner!
    Good luck!

Old 04-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
    Erin619
    (female)

Erin619 HB User

My dd is the same. She is only 3 weeks old but she never stops. I feel like that is all I do. And she only likes to nurse on one side about every hour and after about 20 minutes or so when she is not going for milk I have to stick my lil finger in her mouth to get her off. She will not take a pacifier either. Will your baby take a pacifier at all? Mine makes a real ugly face and spits it out. At first I thought it was so cute but now it's just frustrating. She won't go to sleep on her own either, gotta have that boob. Sigh.......... If you come up with any good ideas do share, lol.

Erin

Old 04-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yahuh
    I wish I had nipped it i the bud sooner!
    Why? Being a safe and secure source of comfort to your baby doesn't make you feel good about your breast feeding relationship?

Some baby's just like to nurse for comfort, even if they've had enough. 5 months might seem like a long time to comfort nurse, but it isn't, one day she won't do it and you'll miss it!

Ruby, please don't feel like you need to nip it in the bud. When your baby feels secure and confident enough to self sooth, or seek entertainment elsewhere, she will. By being available to your baby as much as posible you are teaching her that you will always be there for her, and are keeping her in mental state (contentment) that encourages learning and development!!

If you do choose to use a pacifier, don't let it take the place of your time, affection, and interaction. Use it conjunction with loving arms, singing, rocking, etc, otherwise the benefits of comfort nursing are pointless.

Enjoy it while you can. I dread the day DD doesn't need my boobs!!

Last edited by debating; 04-27-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
    Yahuh
    (female)

Yahuh HB User

Don't get me wrong, I love the nursing time DD and I have. In the beginning I never thought we would make it this long and I was sad about it, but am so relieved that both dd and I figured out the whole breast-feeding thing That being said, I am the only one that can feed her as she will not take a bottle, nor will she take a pacifier. The pacifier I don't care so much about, and she is finally starting to suck her thumb although it's more because of teething than soothing. The bottle is different though, especially since I am back at work. Thankfully I work close enough to home to be able to go and feed her at lunch, but I anticipate the day that I can go for 8 hours without having to 'think' about her. KWIM?? Of course every moment I am gone I am thinking of her!! This also means that I am the only one that can put her to sleep and the only one that can comfort her when she wakes at night. So, for the reason that I am the only one that can essentially be there for her, I wish I had nipped it in the bud a bit sooner.
    On the other hand, my baby is an angel, so good and so happy and I would not trade one moment with her!
    Also, her now being 5 months we have just started cereal and we found the Nuby cup which will allow her to get some fluids while I am away, so happily and yes sadly, the day when i can go 8 hours without seeing her in between is nearing!

Hope this explains things. It is not such a bad thing to have them always with you, I think we are the only culture that does not have our baby with us 24/7 !

Old 04-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
    ElfieNLynx
    (female)

ElfieNLynx HB User

When my son was being breastfeed that was exactly how he was. If he had a choice I think he would of been 24/7 on the boob. I breastfeed him up to 2yrs old and by then I could get him to sleep without it. It was really difficult to wean him. I really think that it wasn't so much the " need-to-eat" as it was for comfort. Alot of babies need that attachment, my son was one of them.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yahuh

Hope this explains things. It is not such a bad thing to have them always with you, I think we are the only culture that does not have our baby with us 24/7 !

Yup!! We're also the only culture (and lactating mammal for that matter) to give birth to our young and then stick them in a cage in another room to sleep instead of offering them the warmth and security (and non stop boobage) of their mother.

I tease my husband about not being able to sooth her or put her to sleep now, because when she's toddler and is able to actually CLIMB out of bed in protest to going to sleep, and doesn't actually need my boob... she's all his to deal with!! LOL!

It may seem frustrating that we're literally tied to our babies, but there is a reason, physiologically, that our bodies are designed as the only way to feed our children.

Also, for those of you with young babies, comfort nursing helps to establish your milk supply. The more stimulation your breasts get, the more milk you make. And with the 3 and 6 week growth spurts, it's important that you don't cheat yourself that opportunity to increase your supply.

Closed Thread