It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Treadmill vs Eliptical

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
    delia
    (female)

delia HB User
    Question Treadmill vs Eliptical

Which is better for slimming legs and whats the difference between the treadmill & eliptical? Seems like you can run on both.

Thanks !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
    bluejbirdie
    Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User
    Re: Treadmill vs Eliptical

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delia
    Which is better for slimming legs and whats the difference between the treadmill & eliptical? Seems like you can run on both.

Thanks !

both are Great Exercises. But the Eliptical is not as hard on the knees. If you Want to be a runner and would like to run outside then I say go for the treadmill. If running is not a concern then I would say go for the elliptical. both of them will burns tons of calories and lead to slim legs.

Keep in mind that Being able to runn on an elliptical does not lead to being able to run on a treadmill or the ground. Although they are both similar movements they do use slightly different muscles.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 05-01-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
    delia
    (female)

delia HB User

Thanks. I'm not that into running. I did hiit a for a while on the treadmill, but I can't classify myself as a runner at all. I hear great things about the eliptical. I just got a really good deal on an eliptical so I bought it. My husband & daughter rave about it, but while the elipitcal made me sweat faster than my fast walking on the treadmill, it just didn't seem to be an overall workout like I hear people say.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delia

Thanks !
    As a former runner, I'd take an elliptical anyday. I used to run outside, then I switched to using a treadmill, and finally switched to an elliptical. Here are the advantages of an elliptical over a treadmill:

1. It's better on your joints.
    2. It works your upper body.
    3. It firms up your legs.
    4. It lets you target different parts of your legs.
    5. It lets you go in reverse.
    6. It's easier to maintain.
    7. It makes less noise.
    8. It works your abs more.
    9. It has better resale value.

I sweat more when I run than when I use an elliptical, but keep in mind how much you sweat isn't a good indicator of how hard your body is working. Sweating is simply about the body cooling itself off.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
    delia
    (female)

delia HB User
    Question Re: Treadmill vs Eliptical

Thanks that's great info.

How does it work your abs? does the treadmill work your abs at all ?

Yeah I noticed it goes backwards, but does that do any good? I don't want to build anything, just slim down hopefully. My inner thighs are a problem area.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

It works your abs because you have to maintain your posture when using the arm extensions. In fact, most exercises force you to contract your abs to some degree. I don't do much ab work, but what I've noticed is that after using my elliptical for a few months, I had an easier time doing crunches.

Running backwards on an elliptical requires a certain amount of coordination cause it feels awkward at first. I rarely do it, but I may start doing it more. What I've noticed is that it seems to work the back of my legs more than forward motion does.

As far as building up, it comes down to resistance. You could build up your legs using a treadmill too, just by raising the incline. I keep the elliptical resistance at its lowest setting. Also, your arms and legs work in concert. The more you use your arms, the easier the workout is on your legs and vice versa. Whenever I start to feel my legs getting a little tired, I use my arms more and that lightens the burden on my legs.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
    Sophia917
    (female)

Sophia917 HB User

Can I ask which ellipitcal you bought? I am interested in getting one and have been ambivalent about making a huge purchase like that when I can go to the gym for cheap. It would be nice to be able to hop on in the morning or when I come home from work.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
    delia
    (female)

delia HB User

It was a floor model -- nautilus - I think. But I'm definitely not the correct person to ask. I really don't know if it's good or bad cuz I'm not an avid user.

if you post a new question asking for advice on what to look for & which ones are good, I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

When it comes to exercise equipment, you get what you pay for. This is not like buying a TV where you can just junk it if it's not that good. If you don't get a good elliptical, you could injure yourself. A good one is worth investing in especially if you use it often.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:11 AM   #10
    cad2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cad2 HB User

I am a runner and have used my elliptical at different times. I ended up like you buying a really good floor model but the only problem I had with using one was that I found it made my thighs to big. I am a very small framed 115 pound person and tall for some reason the elliptical just made my legs huge up almost 2 inches around the top of thighs which was not at all what I wanted so I wasted a great deal of money because now I don't use it. Running keeps me long and lean and trim it just seems to be what works for me . Good luck with your new elliptical hope it works out for you.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #11
    Bexy
    (female)

Bexy HB User

Both these machines will burn calories and depending on the intensity both at the same rate. In short they both help with slimming the legs but overall I would combine other CV equipment like rowing and boxing as well as some weight exercises to boost tone and metabolism. Work using heart rate as far as possible ( a whole new subject!) For abdominals hit some abdominal exercises on the swiss ball or BOSU!

X Trainers

Work the upper body more
    Have a wider range of programs
    Reduce impact on joints

Can have limited movement (not as free & natural)
    Slightly easier which means you have to increase resistance
    Always taken!!

Treadmills

The closest movement to running (of course)
    Some impact improves bone density
    More absorbant than road running

The floor moves instead of you - not as good as outside
    Can be repetitive

NB Increase gradient to at least 1% otherwise it's like running downhill!

Old 05-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #12
    OutToLunch
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OutToLunch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cad2
    I am a runner and have used my elliptical at different times. I ended up like you buying a really good floor model but the only problem I had with using one was that I found it made my thighs to big. I am a very small framed 115 pound person and tall for some reason the elliptical just made my legs huge up almost 2 inches around the top of thighs which was not at all what I wanted so I wasted a great deal of money because now I don't use it. Running keeps me long and lean and trim it just seems to be what works for me . Good luck with your new elliptical hope it works out for you.
    I used to be a runner and there's no question that running makes your legs slimmer, not just because it's a good fat-burner, but also because it causes your legs muscles to slim down. When I was running, my legs were at their slimmest. Nowadays, I don't run because of knee problems, but I do use the elliptical. I also lift weights, something I wasn't doing back in my running days. Compared to when I was running, my thigh measures 1 inch bigger. I don't want bulky legs, but I also don't want weak legs either. So it's about finding balance. I do leg exercises like squats and leg extensions to maintain strength, but the downside is that it'll keep my legs from getting slimmer. But the good thing is my legs are not significantly more muscular than what they were in my running days. However, they are firmer. So don't be afraid of using an elliptical. Just keep the resistance low and try not to set an incline if your machine has one. You could also alternate between a treadmill and an elliptical.

Closed Thread