It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Spironolactone for Acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2006, 07:26 AM   #16
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User
    Re: Spironolactone for Acne

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lindamm
    I'm starting Spiro today. I saw a nurse practioner at a women's clinic yesterday and asked about hirsutism. She prescribed 200mg of spiro plus a birth control pill called Zovia. Not the Yasmin or the Diane others have mentioned, but I guess those contain some Spiro and it wouldn't be necessary for me to take both.

I'm 40 and have had acne, grotesquely oily skin and excessive body hair since I was 10. My skin isn't so oily and I don't get acne on my face much anymore. I'm not sure when that happened though. A year ago maybe? I have been taking antiandrogen supplements for about a year I think--Zinc, Saw Palmetto, B6--so that could be the reason. Or age.

I also cut back on the sugar and simple carbs around the First of February when people on this board were discussing digestive cleanses, Candida and what sugar does to hormones. And I just realized yesterday that right now I don't have any kind of inflamed acne for the first time in decades. Just red marks from the last few, blackheads and the ever present melia on my jawline, but even that is reduced. The aspirin mask has helped a lot.

So by women's clinic do you mean like a public health kind of place or Planned Parenthood? I looked up women's clinics on google and got a whole list of spots in this area. Did they actually know about spiro or did you have to enlighten them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #17
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Kathleen - was your acne really bad. They want to put my daughter back on acutane but I think treating it hormonally would be better.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #18
    lindanm
    Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skimom
    So by women's clinic do you mean like a public health kind of place or Planned Parenthood? I looked up women's clinics on google and got a whole list of spots in this area. Did they actually know about spiro or did you have to enlighten them.
    She knew about Spiro and said she'd been seeing a quite a few women in recent years for the problem and wondered why their gynecologists never noticed their symptoms and did something about it years ago.

It wasn't a public health clinic, it was private, but you could go to those as well. I was referred to one of those when I went to a clinic located in our big local supermarket chain that does minor illness stuff and all kinds of testing (diabetes, cholestorol, allergies) at low cost. I'm going to stop by there someday and have my allergies tested.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #19
    lindanm
    Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kathleen0604
    Yes, I believe it is only prescribed for woman as Spiro reduces testosterone. In males, you don't want to lower the testosterone for fear of developing female characteristics. This medicine was originally used to treat high blood pressure in men and woman so, maybe you can find a doctor who would prescribe a low dose. It does totally stop the oil and clear the acne.
    I don't think that's true, although most of the people participating in these discussions are women. It doesn't reduce the amount of testosterone, it prevents it from being converted to DHT(?) that increases sebum production. Many mens's Prostrate health supplements do the same thing, i.e. Saw Palmetto and various herb and mineral combinations, which will also help with male pattern baldness. And I think topical spiro is the same thing or is related to one of those hair loss prevention topicals--propecia or finasteride.

Adding estrogen will cause males to develop female characteristics, but just lowering testosterone doesn't.

That's what I've gotten from all my reading, from which I never remember specifics. If you search for posts by SweetJade1 you'll find plenty of info about the roles of hormones and diet in the discussions she participates in.

I've been taking Saw Palmetto and Zinc supplements for over a year and my skin got a lot less oily and a lot clearer, it just didn't help with the excess body hair. I'm hoping that adding Spiro plus recent diet changes will finally do the trick.

Edit:
    I just found this by the doctor that wrote the book Kathleen recommended:
    The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman by Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    [url]http://www.hormonehelpny.com/column/hirsutism.htm[/url]

Has some interesting explainations about how your hormone levels test results could be normal and yet, you still have a problem. Also some about the relationship between medications that help with hirsutism and medications for male pattern baldness. Doesn't answer the question about men taking spiro though.

Last edited by lindanm; 05-17-2006 at 09:34 AM.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #20
    lady346
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lady346 HB User

Im thinking of going onto Spiro for my persistent break-outs. I have oily skin and tons of clogged pores, although I wouldnt say I have acne unless i get really stressed and then I break out like crazy.
    My derm gave me antibiotics a month ago when I went to see him during my worst break-out ever, and they havent worked at all. Years ago, doryx was my savior, but now Im immune and these minocycline antibiotics arent doing a thing. Proactive was working for a while and cleared me,but it stopped working as well recently. The next thing my derm said to think about was either Spiro or a low-dose of Accutane, which Im scared about.

Heres my question:Id like to start on 50 or 75 mgs of Spiro next month when I go back to see the derm. I dont have excess body hair or anything but considering the results Ive see from the posts here, Id like to try it before Accutane. At least to control the oil and clogged pores.
    However, Im on Yasmin birth control. I think all OC's break me out in general (I havent found one yet that doesnt, except Seasonale and I had all types of issues with that one). Anyway, Yasmin has a little Spiro in it. The derm said therefore Id have to switch to another pill (he said OTC-Lo) if I get on Spiro. I dont want to switch- I love Yasmin. If Yasmin hasn't made my skin better,will Spiro not?
    Im considering going against the derm's recommendations and taking Spiro while staying on Yasmin (I just dont know if its smart to do that).
    Any suggestions? Id like to avoid Accutane esp. since it doesnt seem to work,plus summer's coming and I cant afford the itchy red dryness and major initial breakouts.
    Thanks!

Last edited by lady346; 05-17-2006 at 09:45 AM.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #21
    kathleen0604
    (female)

kathleen0604 HB User

CityGirl23--- You can be on Yasmin and Spiro at the same time. Yasmin has the equivalent of 25mg of Spiro, so you could also add a 50mg of Spiro, which is the minimum dose of Spiro to see improvement. in skin and hair problems. I recommended a book by Dr. Geoffrey Redmond - The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman. If you type his name and do a search on the internet it brings you to his website. It answers alot of your questions. He also was the lead investigator for the original ortho tri-cyclen bc pill, and suggests Yasmin as one of the best for acne. He goes on to state that if you add a testosterone blocker like Spiro it makes the greatest difference. Worth your time to check out his wesite. Good luck.

Last edited by kathleen0604; 05-17-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #22
    kathleen0604
    (female)

kathleen0604 HB User

Skimom--- at age 40 my acne was moderate - never clear skin - always acne on my chin and lower part of my face - which is typical hormonal acne. I did a course of Accutane 10 years ago and it did clear my skin for several years, but the side effects were awful and my acne came back. If your daughter gets her testosterone levels checked and they are on the high side, you may want to consider Spiro. Dr. Geoffrey Redmonds book or website helpful - it answers a lot of our questions about acne. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Last edited by kathleen0604; 06-08-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #23
    lindanm
    Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by citygirl23
    However, Im on Yasmin birth control. I think all OC's break me out in general (I havent found one yet that doesnt, except Seasonale and I had all types of issues with that one). Anyway, Yasmin has a little Spiro in it. The derm said therefore Id have to switch to another pill (he said OTC-Lo) if I get on Spiro. I dont want to switch- I love Yasmin. If Yasmin hasn't made my skin better,will Spiro not?
    The article by Geoffrey Redmond, MD in the link I posted above says that Yasmin contains a medicine that is the equivalent of only 25mg of Spiro. And the more spiro you take, the more DHTs it will block. Some people take up to 300 mgs. And I'm pretty sure I've seen many posts by people taking both spiro and Yasmin together.

There are vitamins and supplements that block DHTs as well - (Zinc, Saw Palmetto, Nettle, B6). I took saw palmetto and zinc for over a year and my skin got less oily and I rarely have acne on my face. Just blackheads. A couple months ago I added a B complex and cut back on sugars and simple carbs and didn't have any inflamed acne anywhere for a few weeks. I finally found Nettle capsules just before I was prescribed Spiro a week or so ago. I have a couple new cysts on my back right now but hope that is a monthly thing.

It's insulin that stimulates the prodution of testosterone, so eat and exercise like a diabetic should and that should help.

I'm doing all these things, plus spiro now. Because it's the body hair plus the scars and blackheads which used to be the least of my worries that I'm trying to get rid of now.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #24
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kathleen0604
    Skimom--- at age 40 my acne was moderate - never clear skin - always acne on my chin and lower part of my face - which is typical hormonal acne. I did a course of Accutane 10 years ago and it did clear my skin for several years, but the side effects were awful and my acne came back. If your daughter gets her testosterone levels checked and they are on the high side, you may want to consider Spiro. It has totally cleared my skin in two months. You may also find Dr. Geoffrey Redmonds book or website helpful - it answers a lot of our questions about acne. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Yes, I've known about that article for a couple of years. I faxed it off to my doctor yesterday to see if she'd go for it. I also have an order for blood tests and we'll go tomorrow for that. I had bad acne too and always tested "normal". They never told me my levels though. I'm actually hoping her testosterone comes up high so there is no question that something should be done. I am also wondering how Yasmin would be along with accutane.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:00 PM   #25
    lady346
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lady346 HB User

Was there an initial breakout, or did it just take awhile to kick in? Just curious as to what to expect once I get on it...

Old 05-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #26
    kathleen0604
    (female)

kathleen0604 HB User

Dr usually prescribes 100mg

Last edited by kathleen0604; 06-08-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:50 PM   #27
    lady346
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lady346 HB User

So I definitely dont have excess body hair, but before I got on the pill I had horrible PMS (menstrual cramps), and my complexion is oily/combination-type and I have a major clogged pore problem. That is where my breakouts stem from.
    Do you think Im a good candidate for Spiro?

Old 05-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #28
    kathleen0604
    (female)

kathleen0604 HB User

I know that my gyno prescribes Spiro for woman without acne that have terrible PMS and bloating before their periods. Talk to your doctor to see if you are a good candidate.

Last edited by kathleen0604; 06-08-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #29
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

I thought I was the only one! My cramps were 100% cured with spiro. Not even the pill did that. It really helped my skin too!

Old 05-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #30
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Gosh, I've been on it since... March 2004? I thought I had made a medical discovery with the no cramps, but when I talked to my gyn she wasn't surprised at all Before I started taking spiro I was on prescription strength pain killers, the pill, and my old gyno was ready to check me for endometriosis so the cure came just in time!

Closed Thread