It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Daughter coming off pot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
    marksta
    Inactive
    (female)

marksta HB User
    Daughter coming off pot

Hi,
    My Daughter has been smoking pot for years off and on.She is wanting to quit.This is her fifth day ct.Is there anything otc that she can get that will help her get through this?
    thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User
    Re: Daughter coming off pot

The biggest thing is the mental anxiety, she needs to keep herself busy.Get her out for walks and make sure she eats high protein for a couple of weeks.When she's walking have her take a gatoraide with her as it increases the electrolytes in her system.Lifestyle is what she has to change,as long as she stay's away from the people and places she went when she was high the better.Good luck..Dave

Old 05-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Stopping pot is soo easy compared what some here have and are going through. Tell your daughter she is lucky to have such a small problem.....she needs to make her mind up, exercise and change her surroundings.........don't hang out with the people who smoke it and she won't have a problem.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
    marksta
    Inactive
    (female)

marksta HB User

Don't hang out with others who smoke and she want have a problem.
    I wish it was that simple.She doesn't hang out with anyone who smokes.
    She's 36 and has been smoking pot since she was 15.It took her a long time to get her s***t together.She may not have the addictions that some on this board do but to her it's very hard and I don't think telling her to excercise and stay away from people who smoke is the answer either.
    I just thought someone on here might have gone through this before and knew of something at a health food store she could take that might take the edge off till she can get this out of her system.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Pot is more of a psychological addiction not much of a physical addiction. I do believe there is something at a health store that can help her and I will look it up and let you know what it is. Alot of people have a very hard time stopping smoking pot even without the physical addiction. it becomes a part of them and its like instead of waking up and smoking a cigarette the pack a bowl and it helps them with their day. I understand what your saying some people just dont look at it that way. I know alot of people who cant stop smoking pot and often wonder why. After reading up on it, it is a drug. I had a roomate once that smoked everyday all day and I knew when he was out of pot. Irritable, anxious, would tear up the house almost like he had ADD and needed it to keep him at an even keel. I will look up what has helped others and will let you know what it is. That might help her. Sorry about this experience. Most people on this board including myself have come off opiates, cocaine, heroin. So they dont see pot as those who are trying to get off it does. It is hard especially when it is something you have used for so long. I'll get back to you. Kim

Old 05-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

PS most of the people that I know that smoke, smoke it alone. Its not just something that is passed at a party or with friends. Most of them as matter of fact smoke alone. A drug is a drug.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #7
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

On page 2 of this board there is a thread "cant stop smoking weed" might give some insight on the addiction part of it as others have been through it. Hope that helps. Kim

Old 05-18-2006, 05:48 AM   #8
    VeryTired
    Inactive
    (male)

VeryTired HB User

not hanging around people who smoke achieves nothing. i haven't hung out with anyone in literally years, that is probably partly WHY i smoke.

right now i am not smoking b/c no money, i find it's the only thing that pretty much guarantees that i do not smoke.

weed is one of the most insidious and difficult drugs to quit, the willpower has to come from within.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
    marksta
    Inactive
    (female)

marksta HB User

Thanks for your help guys.
    Kim,I really appreciate you taking the time to look this up for me.My Daughter is really having a rough time.She is going to school and trying to plan her wedding so she is really stressed to the max!
    Bev

Old 05-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

This is all I could come up with and it has helped someone. L-Theanine, you might only be able to get it online. Since I cant post the address search it. It is a chinese tea extract that acts on simular parts of the brain it is a safe non-addictive relaxant. Others have said exercise, high protien. It will all pass with time. Hope that helps.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:50 AM   #11
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Also I have heard from others herbs like valerium root and st john wort. Good luck

Closed Thread