It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• What would be a high reading for HDL???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #16
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User
    Re: What would be a high reading for HDL???

I'm sure other folks will post to you some of the things they have done to lower their numbers, and U could read thru the posts to get a few ideas. With such a nice HDL and low Trigs., if U could get those TC and LDL numbers down, your dr. would have nothing to crab about.>>>>>>

I posted above and my Trig # is 77 my doc daid that was fine. confused. My hdl is 85 ldl is 143.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #17
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lorriem
    I'm sure other folks will post to you some of the things they have done to lower their numbers, and U could read thru the posts to get a few ideas. With such a nice HDL and low Trigs., if U could get those TC and LDL numbers down, your dr. would have nothing to crab about.>>>>>>

I posted above and my Trig # is 77 my doc daid that was fine. confused. My hdl is 85 ldl is 143.

Sorry I read the post to fast and thought TC was Triag levels. I was about to call my Doc and say are you trying to kill me. I googled and found this chart.Triglyceride Level Classification
    Less than 150 mg/dL Normal
    150199 mg/dL Borderline-high
    200499 mg/dL High
    500 mg/dL or higher Very high
    Then went back and re read your posts and saw my mistake.
    My Doctor though said he has the levels the best he can. I am on tricor since zocor and other statains have never worked this well and my stomach accepts this med unlike the others. I am not overweight I weigh 115 and eat healthy very few fats. This has been going on for Years and my doc said it has to be genetic. I have a twin brother who has never had this problem and when my parents were alive Cholesterol was never talked about so I can't verify that.
    Lorrie

Old 05-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #18
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Sorry I read the post to fast and thought TC was Triag levels. I was about to call my Doc and say are you trying to kill me. I googled and found this chart.Triglyceride Level Classification
    Less than 150 mg/dL Normal
    150199 mg/dL Borderline-high
    200499 mg/dL High
    500 mg/dL or higher Very high
    Then went back and re read your posts and saw my mistake.
    My Doctor though said he has the levels the best he can. I am on tricor since zocor and other statains have never worked this well and my stomach accepts this med unlike the others. I am not overweight I weigh 115 and eat healthy very few fats. This has been going on for Years and my doc said it has to be genetic. I have a twin brother who has never had this problem and when my parents were alive Cholesterol was never talked about so I can't verify that.
    Lorrie
    No problem Lori, we all get a lil confused with these things..... Seeing U are on Tricor and your dr. feels things are ok, I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like U are doing all the right things, and I hear ya about trying to find a med. that works for you. I have NO tolerance to statins or any of the cholesterol meds, they have tried me on just about everything. All I do is like everyone else, try to eat healthy and keep my numbers in the ballpark. Just keep on doing what U are doing, and I'm sure things will be fine. An LDL of 143 is not all that bad. Mine last test are 142 and my HDL is only 62, so your better then me. I know they want us down to like 100, but not alot of folks that can do it unless on heavy meds.

Take care, and best wishes.......

Old 05-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #19
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbpom
    Oh goodness, I got it wrong, here are my numbers HDL 106 my LDL 172 and Triglycerides is 63. Total cholesterol is 291.

I was posting with out looking at my blood readings. Sorry, is this better???

Barb

You are likely to get various opinions about this, but if you are more of a believer in ratios, as I am, then I'd say you are doing okay. I think that when you evaluate lipid profiles, it's best to look at the bigger picture, and not just focus on any one particular number. What may be considered high for one person may be all right for someone else. It all depends on how everything balances out. With that being said, let's consider your ratios:

Your TC/HDL ratio should be less than 4.0. Yours is 2.75.

Your LDL/HDL ratio should be less than 2.5. Yours is 1.62.

Ideally, your Trig/HDL ratio should close to 1.0. Yours is 0.60.

So overall I'd say that your lipid profile is quite favorably balanced.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #20
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    I am on tricor since zocor and other statains have never worked this well and my stomach accepts this med unlike the others.
    Lorrie
    Lorriem,

Just a word of warning...

Don't ever combine a statin with Tricor - it greatly increases the chances of muscle problems and rhabdomyolisis. I know, because a month after my doctor added Tricor to my Lipitor regimen, my arms ached so much I could't pick up my laptop PC, and I was profoundly weak. Took over a year to recover.

Statins and Fibrates should only be combined if one has both extremely high LDL and Triglycerides, and then only with proper monitoring of the patient.

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 05-17-2006 at 06:16 PM.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:58 AM   #21
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HubbleRules
    Lorriem,

Just a word of warning...

Don't ever combine a statin with Tricor - it greatly increases the chances of muscle problems and rhabdomyolisis. I know, because a month after my doctor added Tricor to my Lipitor regimen, my arms ached so much I could't pick up my laptop PC, and I was profoundly weak. Took over a year to recover.

Statins and Fibrates should only be combined if one has both extremely high LDL and Triglycerides, and then only with proper monitoring of the patient.

HubbleRules

I will never go on any other statin again and I was on them for many years.Zocor did work but I never knew when I would have to run to the bathroom. I stopped all Cholesterol drugs for a year just to have a normal life but my total numbers went right back up to the 300's. My primary said Tricor 145 mg would be the best for me and my stomach and he has been right.I take one every day where as on the statins before I stopped I would think what do I have to do today and if I wasn't close to a bathroom I didn't take the pill that day.BTW I also am taking once a day one capsule of cinnamon I heard that worked for Cholesterol and figured it couldn't hurt..
    Lorrie

Old 05-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #22
    barbpom
    (female)

barbpom HB User

Hi Everyone, I was reading up on cholesterol and came upon a product called proFibe, it is grapefruit fiber. I was totally excited about how it helps bring down high cholesterol. It was invented by a Dr. Cerda. The studies on this was really exciting to say the least. One takes this tasteless powder 3 times a day. The after 1 month have the cholesterol checked to see it it is coming down. You may have to call your Dr. to reduce dosage of your cholesterol drug. Maybe elimanate it totally.

Well, I have been on it for 4 days now, so easy to drink. I will let you know what Happens to me. I planned on rechecking in a few weeks. You can do your own study on this product. Plus, I am not doing anything special to my diet. No low fat, etc. I'll let you all know soon!

Bye for now

Barb

Old 05-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #23
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbpom
    Hi Everyone, I was reading up on cholesterol and came upon a product called proFibe, it is grapefruit fiber. I was totally excited about how it helps bring down high cholesterol. It was invented by a Dr. Cerda. The studies on this was really exciting to say the least. One takes this tasteless powder 3 times a day. The after 1 month have the cholesterol checked to see it it is coming down. You may have to call your Dr. to reduce dosage of your cholesterol drug. Maybe elimanate it totally.

Well, I have been on it for 4 days now, so easy to drink. I will let you know what Happens to me. I planned on rechecking in a few weeks. You can do your own study on this product. Plus, I am not doing anything special to my diet. No low fat, etc. I'll let you all know soon!

Bye for now

Barb
    Hopefully it helps, but anyone on cholesterol meds. or even BP meds. shouldn't endulge in grapefuit juice, not a good combo. Grapefruit can interact with alot of meds., so be careful.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #24
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

JJ is correct and I was about to say the same thing. Why not do a drug tracker to see if this supplement is compatible with your meds. Most drugs warn against grapefruit usage.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:58 AM   #25
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I checked on the proFibe.
    It's a rather pricey way to get your fiber and at the 3 servings a day dose is almost $2 a day. With beans you could get 10 times that much for the same money.

Although there is good evidence that high fiber supplementation with pectins or other soluble fibers ties up much dietary fats claims like this are extremely suspect:
    Quote:
    Atherosclerosis regression has been reported by patients under a doctors care. The average regression was 40% after being on ProFibe for nine months
    Without the who, what, where, and how of a startling claim like this, it should be viewed with a jaundiced eye.

And something like:
    Quote:
    When ProFibe was used conjuctively with cholesterol lowering prescription medication in patients suffering from chronically high cholesterol (300-400 mg/dl), cholesterol dropped to near normal (200 mg/dl or less) in 15 days.
    is just silly just on its face...like saying taking Vitamin B-2 and having cancer removed surgically often cures cancer.

A high fiber diet is a good one. Alas, manufacturers distort and overstate the whole concept with half truths and downright lies to turn a quick buck before they move onto the next money maker. Be vigilant, just because a magazine ad says that XYZ-tabs will cure cancer and heart disease, don't fall for it unless you have money to burn.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-19-2006 at 05:13 AM.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #26
    barbpom
    (female)

barbpom HB User

After writing the company, I guess it contains only citrus pectins, and no grapefruit. I guess they started out with grapefruit fiber, but because of the things mentioned above it was changed to citrus pectins. No grapefruit.

Well, I will give a honest review to see if it does work. I will let you know if I'm very happy about it or not. I get the profibe for 13.77 a can at ******, I feel that is a good price to try it. It is the same stuff youcan get at the profibe site. Well, I only have $13.77 to lose it if does not work, and if it does, well, I will be very happy.

I'll keep you updated!

Barb

Last edited by barbpom; 05-19-2006 at 08:34 AM.

Closed Thread