It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• chlamydia and infertility???????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
    hugeworrywart
    (female)

hugeworrywart HB User
    chlamydia and infertility???????

i have had symptoms of chlamydia and a few other stds (lots of smelly discharge, burning, itching) on and off for about a year now. i've been too scared to get tested, but finally i made an appointment for this coming monday. i am scared that if i have had it for a year, what is the likelihood that i have scarring on my fallopian tubes and will be infertile? how likely is this? does anyone know the answer????? my boyfriend said he wouldn't marry me if i am not able to have children. i am scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2006, 02:36 AM   #2
    maria16v
    (female)

maria16v HB User
    Re: chlamydia and infertility???????

your boyfriend sounds like a nasty man.if he loves you he would marry you whateva.
    i too had chalmiyda twice now.its best caught as soon as possible you should have gone for a test as soon as symptons started. only usually if the chalmiyda is left for a long time it truns into P.I.D pelvic imflamtry diease, symptons are pain in lower abdominals. that it can cause infertility.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
    sapphire912

sapphire912 HB User

please make sure you go and see your doctor right away.you need to get a full gyn exam - pap smear, blood test and a physical. also check your breast everyday when you taking a shower for sign of lumps or discharge. dont miss you appt its very important. i would suggest you use birth control -condoms with birth control pills to be extra save. i also would want to recommend a book to you its call - staying fertile longer- dont know who the author is buts its a great book for woman who are trying to get preggo or want to a few yrs down the road. and for your jerky boyfriend leave him because he does not love you .. he is selfish. he does not sound like a good man. a man who loves you would stay with& love you no matter what!

Old 05-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
    hugeworrywart
    (female)

hugeworrywart HB User

thank you both for the advice. i know it is selfish of him but i love him so much, and thats the only thing that bothers me about him. it's just hard... i am just so afraid that i won't be able to have children. it's been a fear of mine for a couple years now! i am currently taking birth control and we use condoms every time we have sex. i am just afraid that since i havent been tested for STDs in over a year, that i could've gotten something right after my last test and it could've been in my body for over a year!! i just didnt' know exactly how long chlamydia and other things take to make you sterile. like i said, i'm going for a pap/pelvic/std exam on monday, i hope everything goes ok. also, i have been having pains with sex lately, and have been kind of "smelly". it's so embarassing that i don't even want to have sex sometimes! ugh i just can't wait to figure out what this problem is and get RID of it!!

Old 05-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
    Jenmak
    (female)

Jenmak HB User

how long does someone have to have chlamydia in their body until it makes them sterile/infertile??.. i have had it for 8 months... before i treated it... and i really hope i'm not infertile.
    i have always wondered.. if it is chlamydia that make the person infertile? or if the chlamydia becomes PID and then the PID causes infertility...
    someone please help me understand.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
    punkybear
    Veteran
    (female)

punkybear HB User

The bacteria that cause chlamydia can travel up to the fallopian tubes (which is then PID) and scar them causing infertility. Some women can have chlamydia for a very long time and never get PID and just because you get PID does not mean you will necessarily be infertile. About 1 in 8 women with PID become infertile so I would not worry too much. Hope I helped!

Old 05-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
    Jenmak
    (female)

Jenmak HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkybear
    The bacteria that cause chlamydia can travel up to the fallopian tubes (which is then PID) and scar them causing infertility. Some women can have chlamydia for a very long time and never get PID and just because you get PID does not mean you will necessarily be infertile. About 1 in 8 women with PID become infertile so I would not worry too much. Hope I helped!
    thank you, you did help. i jsut have one more question... so if the chlamydia did cause PID, would the PID be treated with the same methods (drugs) used to treat the chlamydia? or would it be different?

Old 05-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
    punkybear
    Veteran
    (female)

punkybear HB User

I think that if you take antibiotics that were meant to treat chlamydia it should clear the infection from the entire body. PID is only a term meaning that the reproductive organs are infected with bacteria. So, if you have PID due to chlamydia, that just means that you have the chlamydia bacteria in your uterus and fallopian tubes. Therefore, the antibiotic should take care of it.

Last edited by punkybear; 05-20-2006 at 02:43 PM.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #9
    Jenmak
    (female)

Jenmak HB User

oic... so how can i ever know if i had PID? the doctor only told me i had chlamydia... and i only took medicine to treat chlamydia...
    this could mean i could have had PID and didn't even know???

Old 05-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #10
    punkybear
    Veteran
    (female)

punkybear HB User

You could have. PID from chlamydia is often asymptomatic. Chlamydia is usually caused by either gonorrhea or chlamydia and the type caused by gonorrhea causes horrible pain. The only real way to tell if any fallopian tube damage was done to cause infertility would be a surgical procedure called a laparoscopy. They insert an instrument that looks at the inside of your reproductive organs. If you do have tubal damage there are surgeries to repair them and allow you to get pregnant. Like I said, I wouldn't worry too much until you have a reason. Are you trying to conceive now?

Last edited by punkybear; 05-20-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:58 PM   #11
    Jenmak
    (female)

Jenmak HB User

Quote:
    You could have. PID from chlamydia is often asymptomatic. Chlamydia is usually caused by either gonorrhea or chlamydia and the type caused by gonorrhea causes horrible pain. The only real way to tell if any fallopian tube damage was done to cause infertility would be a surgical procedure called a laparoscopy. They insert an instrument that looks at the inside of your reproductive organs. If you do have tubal damage there are surgeries to repair them and allow you to get pregnant. Like I said, I wouldn't worry too much until you have a reason. Are you trying to conceive now?
    my boyfriend often hints that he wants a baby... although, we haven't actually put away money or etc. to solidify these plans... i know that he really does want one, and i am afraid i won't be able to give it to him. i had chlamydia for 8-9 months. i think i'm probably not lucky enough to not have any damage done to me. i am scared.
    i did an ultrasound / xray where they inserted an object into my vagina. this was after my chlamydia treatment because i was complaining to my doctor about pelvic pain... i'm not sure if this ultrasound would have been able to identify if there was any damage.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #12
    punkybear
    Veteran
    (female)

punkybear HB User

I don't know if an ultrasound is a great indicator of tubal damage or not. It might show if there was lots of scar tissue and organs were distorted...but what makes you sure that you carried chlamydia for that long, anyway? You might not have had it for 8 months like you think.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #13
    Jenmak
    (female)

Jenmak HB User

Quote:
    I don't know if an ultrasound is a great indicator of tubal damage or not. It might show if there was lots of scar tissue and organs were distorted...but what makes you sure that you carried chlamydia for that long, anyway? You might not have had it for 8 months like you think. What kind of pelvic pain were you having? Scar tissue can sometimes cause pelvic pain. What did it feel like?
    i know for sure i had it for 8 months because i know who gave it to me and when... =( i wish i wasn't so sure about the 8-9 months.. but unfortunately i am...

i had some pain in my ovaries when i had sex. also had so sharp pains every now and then in my lower abdominal area.. its hard to pinpoint exactly where because it seemed like the pain was all over the place (not jsut in 1 place)

Old 05-20-2006, 07:01 PM   #14
    Lil'Pea
    (female)

Lil'Pea HB User

Hi everyone....

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I know how horrifically damaging chlamydia can be/is. I am a 31 year old female that just had a total hysterectomy in september of 2005 because of the damage it can do. I had it when i was 16 from a boyfriend who was cheating on me. Same situation where I know who/when...i had it for about 9 months give or take a few weeks. And here is how it all played out....

I was 17 when i went to my doctor (i had already gotten rid of the STD) in a panic because I had just read that it can cause infertility. Because my medical insurance was going to expire when i turned 18, he wanted to do an histiosalpingogram....which is when they go up through the vagina and inject dye into your uterus and it gets pushed through your tubes. This allows them to see the path the dye takes through ultrasound....so then they know if the ends of your tubes are blocked, etc.

Well, he saw that the dye came out on the ends like it should but it didn't look quite right...like it was pointed in the wrong direction so to speak. So then he wanted to do the Laparoscopy which is the surgery where they insert a scope (usually into your belly button area) to look things over and look for scar tissue. This is when he discovered that my tubes were very badly damaged and sort of 'clubbed' at the ends from scar tissue. He removed what he could during that surgery. i was just a couple weeks away from my 18th birthday at that point. THEN when i was 20 I got pregnant with my daughter. All went well and smoothly. About 18 months after she was born, my husband and I wanted to have another one. We tried and tried for a year and then it finally happened. Sadly though, it ended up being ectopic (a pregnancy in the fallopian tube) and it caused me to have internal bleeding...they literally RUSHED me into immediate surgery because my blood count was so bad that I truly could have died. I was in the hospital for 4 days. Exaclty one month later to the day I was rushed into the hospital AGAIN with internal bleeding...they didn't get it all and the tube had now ruptured completely. Again, immediate surgery. This time they removed the tube and tried to repair the remaining one. No luck. Since then, I had unbearable abdominal pain from the scar tissue (it doesn't matter how much they remove it, scar tissue will always rebuild itself. How quickly it rebuilds itself varies), and constant problems with my bowells as well. Last year (june) I went to my doctor (not the same one, he was no longer practicing) and told him that i had had enough...I accepted I couldn't have more children and I wanted the pain to stop. He reviewed my history and told me I was a candidate for an hystorectomy if I opted for it. After thinking it over, I knew in my gut (no pun intended, lol) that there was still much wrong inside of me and I definitely wanted the surgery. Besides, I knew I wouldn't be having more children so why have the depressing monthly reminder? Anyhow...i had the surgery 8 months ago. When they sent it all to pathology, they discovered that my uterus, ovaries, tube, and cervix were all invaded by scar tissue...there are two conditions pertaining to scar tissue: Endometriosis (which is scar tissue attaching itself to the outsides of your organs) and Adenomyosis (which is scar tissue that actually burrows INTO your organs). I had adenomyosis...(these are conditions, NOT std's). This can and will also attach to your intestines, bladder, etc. I was a mess in there, so they took EVERYthing out. So now I am 31 and on hormone replacement therapy.

Chlamydia is a very very very serious infection. It can go unnoticed for a very long time. Many women who have it are not symptomatic, which means they have no signs or symptoms of an infection. During that time, it is destroying your insides. PLEASE do not NOT go to a doctor out of fear or embarrassment. You NEED antibiotics and you need to request a laparoscopy if your insurance allows. Some insurance companies will not cover it if it is fertility related. I was lucky...my doctor fibbed a bit and said it was to look for the origin of my pain...not completely untrue, but he knew it was fertility related. Maybe your doctor can do the same?

Please, please, please go see your doctor ASAP. I know from experience what it does. Yes, I am lucky to have had one daughter, but going through years of disappointment and tears and pain is far worse than the embarrassment I felt when I was told I had an STD.

I am not trying to scare anyone or anything of that nature...but only sharing my story to let everyone know that it IS very much something to worry about. Also, it is YOUR body...you may need to really push with your doctor to get further testing other than a clean pap smear....take it from me...just because the infection is gone does NOT MEAN YOU ARE WELL in there.

Good luck!!!

Lil'Pea

PS. Also, between the time I had the first surgery and the tubal pregnancy I had two miscarriages....

Last edited by Lil'Pea; 05-20-2006 at 07:05 PM.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #15
    Jenmak
    (female)

Jenmak HB User

wow lil'pea...thank you for sharing your story.. i really appreciate it... seems my situation is so similar to yours 15 years ago...
    what made you get tested for stds back then? did u have pains or symptoms? and you mentioned that you had 2 miscarraiges.. how do u know when u miscarraige? does it bleed?

i really dont know what to do now... is it possible that the chlamydia DIDN'T that kind of damage to me?

i don't know what to do...i feel like crap just thinking about all of this. i hate it.

Closed Thread