It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Calcium/constipation....help???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
    schmooopie
    (female)

schmooopie HB User
    Calcium/constipation....help???

Ok, I refuse to take Fosamax or any other of those pills. Once doctors get you on that medication merry-go-round, they got ya! And I decided this waaay before 'Dead Jaw' syndrome came along. Yeah, Dead Jaw! Google it, you'll see.

Anyway, I have been taking calcium with Vitamin D supplements and it constipates me like crazy. It is insane how bad it has gotten. I am practically a vegetarian (except for skim milk), I excersice for at least 2hours at a time 4 days a week and I am suppose to take calcium with Vitamin D but it blocks me up and that is Not Healthy At All.

Can anyone please let me know how to get more calcium without the blockage? I already drink tons of skim milk, eat kale, broccolli, etc. I am trying to keep my bones from disintegrating. At this point I have been diagnosed with 'Osteopenia', a newly invented name created by doctors to get women on Actonel, Fosamax, etc.

But, it did give me huge a wake up call, I will admit that. And at least I have tripled my efforts to take better care of my self. But darn it, what do I do about calcium? Is there hope?

I am 49, premenopausal and would also like to know what supplements I can take that are natural to help with the typical symptoms: night sweats, etc. Ok, I'm done now, sorry for the rant. Really.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Calcium/constipation....help???

I'm a vegetarian also except for having to add skim varieties of dairy foods because of the osteoporosis. When I first switched to adding dairy to my diet and started taking 1500 mgs of Citracal each day I was getting constipated. I think the dairy foods make me more constipated than the supplements. Anyways, I just use a little bit of bran with my yogurt and eat lots of vegies and fruits, plus lots of water. Drinking tons of milk might make you constipated. How much calcium are you trying to get from foods? It seems like my system just adapted and as long as I only eat one small container of yogurt along with the Citracal I don't get constipated even if I skip the bran.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
    hypatia
    Inactive
    (female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

I had the same problem with calcium until I added up to 1,000 mgs of magnesium daily. There are more and more studies indicating most Americans don't get enough magnesium and taking it seems like a good thing. I found it best to add 250 mgs at a time to find the best level to avoid diarrhea.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
    greentree
    (female)

greentree HB User

You also might want to try Citrucel once a day. There's a chocolate variety that when mixed with skim milk tastes like a chocolate milk shake. It's more palatable than the orange type. There's also Metamucil wafers in a cinnamon flavor that aren't too bad either.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
    DTemple

DTemple HB User

schoooochie,
    Natural Calm makes a powdered form of magnesium that helps me with constipation, which I have naturally with our without the added calcium. You mix it with hot water and drink it like a tea at night and it also helps you sleep. Fiber does not work for me, it binds me up more. I also will take two Triphala during the afternoon almost every day on an empty stomach and that usually helps too. It's a constant problem for me.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:31 AM   #6
    punji49
    (female)

punji49 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Calcium/constipation....help???

Hey Girl, I also had that problem and started taking magnesium, I take 500 mg. in morning and 500 at night . A cup of coffee each morning does the trick . I have been plagued with this a lot over the years and now it is one thing that makes life bearable. Try it in 250 doses to get ur dose for ur system and my doctor said we do not get enough magnesium daily. But actually I say this on OPRAH about a year ago and started experimenting with it. And it works!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck. Punji

Old 05-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
    newbones
    (female)

newbones HB User

DTemple,
    Do you find Natural Calm at health food stores? I have looked for it at a couple of pharmacies, but have had no luck.
    Thanks,

Old 05-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbones
    DTemple,
    Do you find Natural Calm at health food stores? I have looked for it at a couple of pharmacies, but have had no luck.
    Thanks,
    Natural Calm can be purchased at health food stores. Just a word of caution, I had to stop taking it because it is magnesium citrate and some people get diarrhea very easily on citrate. If you don't tend to have this problem it is a very high quality product. I now take magnesium glycinate chelated, which is very easy on the bowels.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
    nightangel73
    (female)

nightangel73 HB User

oh yes peregrine. citrate gives me big time D. Mostly all of calcium supplements give me D. Specially if they have magnesium. Magnesium in supplements is totally a laxative for me. I can't even think of nexium because of the magnesium. I have kept using ezorb in powder form and it doesnt affect my bowels at all.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:50 AM   #10
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nightangel73
    oh yes peregrine. citrate gives me big time D. Mostly all of calcium supplements give me D. Specially if they have magnesium. Magnesium in supplements is totally a laxative for me. I can't even think of nexium because of the magnesium. I have kept using ezorb in powder form and it doesnt affect my bowels at all.
    We do need Magnesium, though. I have found mag glycinate chelated to do the trick. I take high doses of it with no problems at all.

All the best

Closed Thread