It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Tics?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
    Luvly16
    (female)

Luvly16 HB User
    Question Tics?

Can you have tics and not have TS?? Or how many of you with ADD have tics? I ve had blinking tics in the past but recently put on Ritilin and i think its caused me to do this grunting sound.....id unno my therapist just pointed it out to me today. And im kinda freaked out because i jus do it i kinda forget i even do it until i stop to think about it. Is this a tic?
    luvly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 06:21 AM   #2
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
    Re: Tics?

Yes, tics can be made worse from Ritalin. Any doctor should tell you that...My son had same tics...eyes and clearing of throat....he was never on any meds..he's 15 now..and still has very minor tics....but yes, that med can make so much worse...check with your doctor................

Old 03-28-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Tourette's is a listed side effect of Ritalin. It can exacerbate a condition. A person who exhibits this type of problem will, very often, end up with full blown Tourettes, a neurological disorder. Ritalin and like drugs can cause brain damage. There is a lot of information on the internet about it and other serious side effects. Please learn all you can before taking this type of drug or giving it to your children.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
    sawbuck44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

When my son took Ritalin many years ago (at age 6 - he is now 14), he developed tics. He would make sounds and roll the ends of his shirt. If he didn't have a shirt on, he would roll his shorts. He took Ritalin for a short time and the tics developed quite quickly. He was on Ritalin for about 4 months. It took at least 5 or 6 months for the tics to go away after we stopped giving him meds. He is doing fine without them. I thought he was always borderline and the meds (we tried a few) always created more problems than they helped. In my research at the time, I found that if you have Tourettes but don't know it, when you take Ritalin it can bring out the symptoms such as tics. Scary world out there with all these meds and not one solid way to test accurately and give you what you need. Dosing and changing meds was crazy. When my son was 6 we tried first Ritalin (4 months) overfocused and tics, then switched to Dexedrine (smiling a lot and seemed happier though the teacher thought he did better in the classroom with Ritalin - oh by the way, that teacher retired two years after she had my son). In the classroom, I think a lot depends on the teacher and how they can deal with behavior. There were a few teachers in elementary school that had no problems with my son. Some of the teachers though blew it way out of proportion. I always asked, "What is he doing so differently from other boys?" I really thought his behavior was fine. They couldn't give me a straight answer. I digress.

Last edited by sawbuck44; 03-30-2006 at 07:38 AM.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Luvly,

Yes, certainly, a person can have tics and not have Tourette's syndrome (more about Tourette's in a minute). However, the important thing from your standpoint is that yes, you definitely have tics (blinking and grunting) AND they have been made worse by the Ritalin. Let your doctor know right away. It would probably be best to discontinue the Ritalin as stimulants definitely can and do make tics worse.

It is quite common for an individual with ADHD to have tics and even Tourette's Syndrome. Tourettes is defined by "multiple motor and vocal tics (like grunting) lasting for more than one year". Here is more about the symtoms of TS:

Tourette Syndrome (TS) is a neurological disorder characterized by tics -- involuntary, rapid, sudden movements or vocalizations that occur repeatedly in the same way. The symptoms include:

- Both multiple motor and one or more vocal tics present at some time during the illness although not necessarily simultaneously;

- The occurrence of tics many times a day (usually in bouts) nearly every day or intermittently throughout a span of more than one year; and

- Periodic changes in the number, frequency, type and location of the tics, and waxing and waning of their severity. Symptoms can sometimes disappear for weeks or months at a time.

- Onset before the age of 18.

Does that answer your questions?

Old 04-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
    nickkaylee
    (female)

nickkaylee HB User

My 11 yea old son used to do the throat clearing thing. He did it quite often and used to say he didn't know why, couldn't help it and didn't always realize he was doing it. It did stop after a few months. He hasn't done it in a couple of years. Now all of a sudden he's started doing it again. Seems pretty strange that he'd just all of a sudden start up again. I'm thinking it might be that he recently (month or two ago) had his meds dose raised in the afternoon. What do you think?

Old 04-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

You're probably right about the med use causing this problem. It's not uncommon. Tourette's is a neurological disorder that can be caused by a brain injury or by certain medictions, like those for ADD. Brain injury means brain damage.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #8
    Luvly16
    (female)

Luvly16 HB User

Hey guys
    Thanx for your replies. I just really hope I dont have tourettes....I really really hope it goes away but im sick and now have a raising my eyebrow blinking throat clearing tics. I discountinued the Ritalin.....but the tics are still there. Creepy..i barly notice it. Its jus what other ppl think thats making me selfconcious and feel wierd. I go to the pediatric behavioral phyciatrist tomarow...see what he says....
    Hey Nick- Your son sounds like the tics I expirence....went away for years and just re appeared when put on Ritalin which makes me think its because of the med raise too...
    Yup you guys answered my questions....
    Saw- has your sons tics stopped completely? Thankz
    Luvly

Old 04-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #9
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

My son was diagnosed with Tourettes when he was younger (and hadn't yet tried stimulants). His tics, thankfully, have disappeared.

It isn't unusual for medicatin-induced tics to take several weeks to go away after the stimulant is stopped. Give it some more time. Good luck to you!!!

Old 05-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #10
    wlds55
    (female)

wlds55 HB User
    Talking Re: Tics?

Hi, I was facinated to read about your tics, my son is 14, he has just come off his medication, before he started concerta, he had the blinking tic, then when he started his medication he then started the noises in his throat, then it was pushing his lips out, he didn't take his medicine when he was off school, so after a long break it would start all over again. He has been off them now for three months and still has the raising of the eyebrows, and raising his eyes, I thought it was just him, but its good to know he is not alone, and neither are you. It is slowly going, he used to bite his nails alot and has stopped that now, so only time will tell.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

So, what med do you give adhd kids with tourettes? pinkeetoz

Old 05-21-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

You can still treat AD(H)D with stimulants. The less severe stims would be Concerta (for most) and Adderall. As well, sometimes AD's (Anti Depressants) can be used to treat AD(H)D symptoms.

SGH

Old 05-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #13
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Thank you for your post Suchgreatheight. Are you familiar with tourettes/tics? Do you take meds? Your experience? Thanks you so much, pinkeetoz

Old 05-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #14
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

I do not have torettes, but I do have experience with vocal and motor tics. I also have ADHD and Aspergers. My experience with meds is with Concerta. I found out that Ritalin is really bad for tics. Even though Concerta is in the Ritalin family, it has a "time release" affect. With that, Concerta is still affective but less harsh.

SGH

Old 05-22-2006, 02:42 PM   #15
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

I didn't know that someone could have tics and it be caused be anything else but tourerttes. Thanks, pinkeetoz

Closed Thread