It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Side effects from statins ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #31
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Side effects from statins ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
    That's great that your old doctor is resuming his practice, even if it is for just 3 days a week. I can only imagine what you must be going through with your current doctor. If I were you I would definitely seek his advice, as I know you can probably trust him, and besides, he probably knows you better than that other doctor.

I miss my old family doctor, too, God rest his soul. He never actually gave up his practice. He just cut down on his hours. I think he only had office hours two days a week, but I always went to him whenever I needed to. I knew I could trust him. My father told me that several years ago our doctor had prescribed a cholesterol drug for him called Atromid. Well, they soon found out that Atromid can cause liver damage. So, when my father went to see our doctor again, he asked him if he was still taking the Atromid. When my father said yes, the doctor told him, "Well stop it. I don't want you taking that anymore. It can damage your liver." You see, that's the difference between many of today's doctors and our old family doctor. Our doctor really did have our best interests in mind, instead of pandering to the drug companies.
    She called me about 6 tonight, and I swear, I talked to her more then when I visit the office. She shocked me, she was extremely nice, and said although I told her how sensative to meds I was, she never knew anyone as sensative as I was. Like I told her, why put me on a drug that is going to require another drug to offset it, and she actually agreed. We also talked about these new guidelines and what I thought of them, but all she said was they are trying to prevent people from having heart attacks, but also said, that doesn't mean U won't have one anyway. I expressed to her that the ads they put on tv, which I think should be pulled, are in my opinion wrong, as they say U may have RARE side effects, and like I told her, from what I see and hear, if someone doesn't have a side effect..THAT is rare!!

She told me to just table the idea of taking anything for now, as although my numbers are a lil high, they are not all that bad, and she knows I have been trying very hard to keep them in line. Guess for now she is just going to let it ride and see how it goes. I also made the suggestion drs. try and get on some of these health sites and see just what people are complaining about, as some are even afraid to tell their drs., as many drs. make U feel like it is all in your head, and noone should be suffering on any type of drug. I was very polite and nice about it all, but at least made my point..I think......

As far as my old dr., yes he had some nasty leg problems for a couple of years, so decided to do the teaching routine, as he had done that for years. He told hubby he finally gave into having surgery on the leg and although it isn't 100%, it is good enough to get him back to doing what he loves best, practicing medicine. I know once he gets going again, if nothing else, I will pay him a visit just to see what he thinks of it all. One thing I always liked about him, besides his knowledge, was if he did have to send U to another dr. for anything, they were as nice and good as he was, that is how hubby found his cardio guy, and I found my GYN and GI guy, and I have no complaints about any of them.

Never even heard of that drug they put your dad on, but like U said, it was great he took him off once he knew it did liver damage. Hate to say it, but compared to many of these new drs., the older ones seem to really be very compassionate, and were not as apt to push meds. on you unless U really needed them, plus they usually tried the cheaper meds. Seems these newer drs. prescribe the top of the price list meds., it floors me when I hear what some folks have to pay for their meds. these days.

Speaking of some of these newer drs., a friend of our's mom is in a nursing home, and although she is basically under the care of their older family dr., who only practices 2 days a week as well, she has drs. at the home. Our friend went to visit his mom last week to find her not in her room, and when he asked where she was, they told him the resident dr. sent her for a mammogram. Like he told us, why in God's name would they do that, the woman is going to be 99 in 2 weeks!!!! Needless to say the family dr. was livid as well, like he said, at her age, what could they do even if anything was found. I know it isn't funny, but just goes to show how some are really either not with it, or milking the life out of the insurance system......

Have a good one and TTYL....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #32
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJ
    Hate to say it, but compared to many of these new drs., the older ones seem to really be very compassionate, and were not as apt to push meds. on you unless U really needed them, plus they usually tried the cheaper meds. Seems these newer drs. prescribe the top of the price list meds., it floors me when I hear what some folks have to pay for their meds. these days.
    Yes, and I also remember that my doctor used to check and see if he had any free samples around that he could give us first. If he could spare us the cost of filling a prescription, he would. Of course, if we needed more, he would write a prescription. And I don't remember him charging me any more than $20 for an office visit. Of course, this had to be about 15 years ago, but it was still very reasonable, even back then.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #33
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Quote:
    Yes, and I also remember that my doctor used to check and see if he had any free samples around that he could give us first. If he could spare us the cost of filling a prescription, he would. Of course, if we needed more, he would write a prescription. And I don't remember him charging me any more than $20 for an office visit. Of course, this had to be about 15 years ago, but it was still very reasonable, even back then.
    Oh yeah, unless it was a cheap generic our dr. always gave us samples. I will say this new dr. has given me a couple, but then if U need more, the stuff is darn expensive. I'm dying to see what is going to happen when I go on Medicare in Sept., who knows what they will cover. Hmmm, can't believe they give Medicare to "39" year olds............

As far as the office cost, the last time I went to my old dr. in 99, his price was 45.00, now I pay at least 125.00, and lucky if U see her for 15 minutes. I also noticed if they do a urine test it is extra, my old dr. never charged for that or the sticking of the finger, everything was included. I know a complete physical was 75.00, but still, that is nothing compared to what they charge now. Also can't get over what they charge for bloodwork, as she had me go before my complete physical last year, and it cost me over 500.00. I almost passed out when I saw that bill. Good grief, we are all going to the poorhouse at this rate!!

Old 05-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #34
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJ
    Also can't get over what they charge for bloodwork, as she had me go before my complete physical last year, and it cost me over 500.00. I almost passed out when I saw that bill. Good grief, we are all going to the poorhouse at this rate!!
    The company that I work for is a Fortune 500 company, and they have stopped offering physicals to its employees. They used to, and I had one every two years. But about 6 years ago they stopped it, and I decided to get a physical exam on my own. I also almost passed out over the bill, as it cost me over $500 out of my own pocket, considering the deductible is so high. Well, never again. Only in an emergency will I visit a doctor. I'm not Teddy (the swimmer) Kennedy!

Old 05-23-2006, 07:51 PM   #35
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    The company that I work for is a Fortune 500 company, and they have stopped offering physicals to its employees. They used to, and I had one every two years. But about 6 years ago they stopped it, and I decided to get a physical exam on my own. I also almost passed out over the bill, as it cost me over $500 out of my own pocket, considering the deductible is so high. Well, never again. Only in an emergency will I visit a doctor. I'm not Teddy (the swimmer) Kennedy!
    Alot of places have stopped. I know my place use to have a great medical plan, as did hubby's, so I went off his and onto mine, as it cost me only 5.00 co-pay for an office visit and 2.00 for any prescriptions. Luckily all my drs. were on the list, so it was a blessing. After our president passed away, the new one stopped it, so I went back on hubby's, as no way could I afford the new plan we had. If I didn't have his to fall back on, I would have been up the creek without a paddle. That is why so many companies are hiring temps. or PT people, as noone wants to give benifits. Man, this country best get on the ball about medical coverage, or noone will afford it.

When hubby had to go to the hospital in March, thank God he goes thru the VA, as I know we would be up to our eyeballs in bills if he had to go any place else. All the drs. at our Va are from Yale, so at least we knew he had many of the best drs. No wonder so many people have high BP etc., the stress of trying to make ends meet is outrages. God help the younger generation, and what is in store for them........

Last edited by JJ; 05-23-2006 at 07:53 PM.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #36
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HubbleRules
    Finres,

I am not trying to cast doubt on your statements, but I have never seen any results of the UCSD Statin Study in any of my searches on the internet. If you go to their home page, they say the study is closed and they are in the process of data analysis and paper writing.

How did you get information about study results? It seems they have not published any yet.

HubbleRules
    hubble; when you do a search...there should be 2 sites listed. One will say the study is closed... The other one you should also be able to pull up information. Some of my information comes from the people at the statin study. Marvin is more than happy to speak to you.... he is the project director. He can direct you to some of the information. Also, they should be publishing their information in December of this year. I also found that Spectracell in Houston is going to be testing particle size of HDL and LDL. This is different that the present test for particle size. (much more than the present test that are available). It is possible that statins are lowering the wrong kind of LDL...or raising the wrong kind of HDL....We won't know until some people get tested.

Closed Thread