It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• alcohol and anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
    SirPhish
    (male)

SirPhish HB User
    alcohol and anxiety

I'm new here and just recently started seeing someone for my anxiety. Just a quick question, I've noticed that usually after a few beers (few being a pitiful 2) I start feeling really chatty and and on the "edge".

I use to have a pretty large alcohol tolerance, but after my anxiety started things just don't seem right anymore. Could anxiety or a chemical caused by anxiety have something to do with this??

Same thing happens with caffeine sometimes...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
    Re: alcohol and anxiety

welcome to the boards - if your taking meds then that will be your answer - alcohol is a depressant so maybe after a few it just knocks your walls down - anxiety can make you very guarded and you are always thinking and the alcohol just lows everything to almost "normal" - then again I could be completly wrong

take care
    trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 05-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
    maialeigh
    Inactive
    (female)

maialeigh HB User
    Smile Re: alcohol and anxiety

For the past 2 years i have suffered anxiety through alcohol.
    It first started when 1 night i got really drunk and went to bed fine... only to wake up the next morning feeling really anxious. I thought getting out of bed and get busy would help but went to get a drink of water and my heart started pounding and i felt ill.

I lay down for the day and had a strange sensation in my left arm and i felt very weak. The next day i felt fine but as i was on holiday in ireland i was getting the ferry home and the sea was rough so i started drinking and had a few pints and again i felt fine until i woke up the next morning. Strange feeling in my left arm, racing heart and general unwell.

My partner took me to a&e and they put me on monitors and i stayed in the cardiac unit overnight... everything apart from my pottasium level came back normal.

Not sure if this was anxiety or not but these days if i have a couple of beers in the afternoon and feel slightly merry and stop drinking then later i will have major panic issues, i have to keep myself busy.

Also if i have 5 or more cans of lager in a night then when i wake in the morning i have more major panic issues, at this point i would need to take a valium and a couple of kalms. I smoke cigarettes and if i was to have one the morning after the anxiety would start the process off.

As mentioned before about meds being the cause, i don't generally take any meds for my anxiety anymore so this is not the case for me.

I think it could just be a hangover and put that together with anxiety (how we notice every feeling in our body and blow it out of proportion) this gives us the feelings we experience. Not sure about the chemical explanation on the subject but could be worth looking into

Hope this has helped SirPhish

Old 05-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
    alohalissa
    (female)

alohalissa HB User

This is my first post to this board; how embarassing that it's in the alcohol thread. Sigh. I have noticed over the last few months that alcohol - or rather after the alcohol has left my system - triggers anxiety. Once I had a few too many drinks, came home, fell asleep, and woke up in the middle of the night with an anxiety attack. I started noticing that if I had any alcohol, I would either within hours or the next morning, have anxiety. What's ironic is that I drink alcohol only to reduce my anxiety, yet it also causes me anxiety.

Of course the sensible thing for me to do would be to be completely sober. But it's a very hard thing to give up completely, when in the short term it does work well for my anxiety. I'm working on it, though. Every time I have post-drinking anxiety, I remind myself that alcohol is the reason.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:11 AM   #5
    aussichick
    Inactive
    (female)

aussichick HB User

I use to love getting drunk, it was great I never felt my anxiety or stress, then I started getting liver pain and found out I have liver problems (not serious), so no more drinking for Carolyn. ***those were the days***

Old 05-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
    snapcrackle
    (male)

snapcrackle HB Usersnapcrackle HB Usersnapcrackle HB User

strange, after a night of heavy drinking, I usually feel great the next day with no anxiety....but with respect to your problem of feeling a little chatty after a few beers, I dont see it as a problem as you now spend a heck of a lot less at the bar for the same effect..

Closed Thread