It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• August Moms/August Babies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #61
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User
    Re: August Moms/August Babies

Laur,
    Glad you figured out what was making him so cranky...hopefully it was just that it was too early for him and now an intolerance thing.

Kaden has been trying to crawl on his knees more but if he wants to get something or somewhere fast he'll do the army crawl....when he actually STAYS on the floor...he is CONSTANTLY wanting to stand and now that he knows how to pull himself up he is standing most times.

The other day DH and I were sitting on opposite couchs and Kaden was standing next to the couch beside me...he waved at DH (because thats a new thing he likes to do now) and then he was holding his arm up diagonally across his face and giving DH a poker stare...but he kept his arm up over his face (kinda like when you lift your arm across diagonally to apply deodorant)... ...we couldn't figure out what he was doing...then I figured it out...I said..."Peek a Boooo!" and he got so excited...he had been trying to play peek a boo but needed to hold onto the couch with one hand so that was his way of doing it...then he'd look down but cover just one eye...he thought because he couldn't see us that we couldn't see him, so I'd say "Peek a Boooo!" again and he loved it. Then he started burying his face in the couch...literally doing a face plant right into the couch cushions! And I'd say,"Daddy...where's Kaden?" and he'd throw his head up and giggle, it was so cute/fun to play games with him.

I gave Kaden a haircut today...his hair has been growing over his ears and he had this thinning spot on the middle of the back of his head from rolling his head side to side when he is laying down/sleeping or sitting in his carseat or whatever, so I took DH's mini trimmer (smaller than a regular trimmer but bigger than a nosehair trimmer..it's used for goatee's and facial hair) and I trimmed the sides and lower back of his head, I kept the top longer. It looks so cute, he looks like he has a grown up haircut now. He was good, but he kept trying to see the trimmer and DH wasn't holding him as well as I would have liked so one side of his ear isn't the same as the other, but it's not that noticble, I may even it up tomorrow. I kept some hair for his scrapbook and took pictures before and after but I honestly don't know if you'll be able to tell the difference in the pictures, it really wasn't much hair at all since that part of his hair was thinner than the top to begin with. I can see the difference but I don't think others would notice.

S,
    I agree it is the law to pig out when you go camping...I just did a weather forecast and it looks like it may rain this weekend so I am hoping it doesn't because we are really excited to go.

Laur,
    I did look into the radiology, well, kinda, I had hoped to get a government grant to be able to upgrade while I was on maternity leave...I was told that they give government grants to people on EI to train them to get into better paying jobs etc...but when I went, I guess it's different if you are on EI for maternity leave, so they said because of how much money DH and I made last year that I wouldn't qualify for a grant...so I am going to wait for a little while before I start upgrading on a part time basis and then once both kids are in school full time I will hopefully go back to school full time into radiology. I just figure with a baby and a 3 year old I am drained right now and it would be either my schooling or my parenting that would suffer if I chose to do both right now...so I'll focus on the kids now and the career later.

Well, I should go, I think I'm going to head to bed, I ended up staying up until 3:30am lastnight...I got carried away with scrapbooking after my girlfriends left...I had only wanted to finish up a page or two but didn't realize how late it actually was. So I'm going to try and catch up on some sleep tonight and tomorrow morning...DH's turn to get up with the kids.
    Talk to you all soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #62
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Hello!

I'm glad to hear that it's the law to pig out!

Troy has now mastered crawling!! He's everywhere..he was slow at first but now he's speeding up! I've had to totally babyproof everything..he's also figured out how to open any drawer/cupboard that he happens to be near

Joanne--That' so cute about Kaden wanting to play peekaboo! I bet he looks cute with his hair cut! Troy's is getting long again but I don't think I'll get it cut until his 1yr pictures.

Laur- I'm also glad to hear that you figured out what was wrong with Logan. Have you stopped giving whole milk or still mixing? I'll be starting Troy on whole milk after I've weaned and had him on straight formula--so maybe 14mos?

I'm due to go back to work in the fall (i'm a T.A) I'm not sure if I'm going back to the same school or a different one as funding has been cut. I'm for sure going back to a school...and, I told the board that it's ok if it's part time or full time. I'm looking forward to going back somedays and others I don't.

Firsttime- No I haven't heard of that either...have you done research? Let us know! Good to see you again too.

Well, I'm hoping that Booboo and Annuam are ok! Haven't heard for a long time!! Wonder where they went??

Well...good to see everyone and be back later!
    S

m/c *angel* 10 weeks July/04
    IUI's-2 for bfp Sept 27/07

Old 05-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #63
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

Hi guys, just got back from a week in Toronto, visiting DH's family. I had a great time, but DS was evil. Talk about being cranky, every time I would put him down just to change his diaper, he would scream murder, my ears hurt. Also eventhough we kept him on the BC time, he didn't sleep well, he would wake up the whole house screaming every couple of hours, poor thing, he slept w/ me most of the nights. But I ended up nursing him 2-3 times each night. So that will hurt, when I don't do it next couple of nights.

It's so exciting to hear about all the changes w/ your little ones. DS is starting to pull himself up and stnad on his own for up to 5sec. It's so scary to watch though. My heart always stops for those couple seconds. He especially loves doing it when he is standing on our bed.

Will write more tomorrow, way too tired now, just wanted to say hello.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:55 AM   #64
    firsttimemom
    (female)

firsttimemom HB User

Hi guys,
    From what I read on the internet about it is it is a virus along the same lines as warts but it will clear up on its own but it could take anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. It is contagious to other kids and can spread on him. It is not too bad right now so hopefully it will not get any worse. Other than all of that DS is doing great. He finally got a tooth, and another one is starting to break through. Also he is crawling all over the place and pulling himself up on everything. It is amazing to watch him grow so quickly! My Mom and I took him the Disney World over the weekend and he had fun. It was hot though so we didn't stay too long. DS is also getting very attached to me, he wants nothing to do with DH. DH went on a "guys trip" this weekend and was gone for 5 days and when he got home he expected DS to be all excited to see him and in reality DS wanted nothing to do with him, he just cried for me. I felt bad but hopefully it is only a phase. Well I am glad to hear that everyone is doing good and I will try and post more often.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #65
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

firsttimemom, glad to hear your DS's condition is nothing serious. My son is also into everything ALL THE TIME. It's so tiring, I look forward to his naps. He crawls everywhere, he is constantly so dirty, and he keeps pulling my dog's hair out and putting it in his mouth, it's so yaki, but he doesn't mind.

So we finally got a house, the inspection passed so we will have it in couple of months. I'm excited, but it needs a lot of cosmetic work, so it's not going to be only fun. But I can't wait. So now we have to sell out condo. I rearange some furniture, and the rooms look soo much better, should have done it sooner. It was so much work, especially w/ DS constantly in my way. I don't know HOW we will renovate our new house.

How is everyone else?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:34 AM   #66
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Firsttimemom,
    Yes, glad it isn't anything permanent. Is there any creams they can give to help clear it up? Is it itchy or painful for DS?

Kiedy,
    I laughed when you said DS was eating the dogs hair...Kaden is now a magnifying glass and can find the teeniest speck of crumbs anywhere...its funny to see him work his finger and thumb to pick up everything and inspect it.

His new thing is standing in bed, he had been pulling himself to standing by the couch and coffee table but I think he just didn't realize he could do that in bed too, so lastnight after he figured it out, I spend about an hour or so going in every so often and laying him down...I don't think he knows how to get back down again....so true that book I read a while back that said their sleep would be disturbed by them wanting to practise their new skills.

We have started packing the tent trailer, we leave friday morning for the lake, but tomorrow is pretty hectic so I may not post until Sunday or Monday.

I hope you all have a great weekend, wish us luck with camping and cross your fingers that the kids sleep great for us. LOL Take care.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #67
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

Joanne, good for you for being so outdorsy (sp). I'm very proud of myself, b/c today I took DS to the pool. I wanted to take a swimming lesson, but I couldn't join the class b/c today was the last class, so I signed him up for 8 lessons in June. We had such a great time. Of course I'm unusually tired now. I think I may be coming down w/ a cold. Hopefully not.

Joanne, Avery also loves to stand up when on our bed and actually stands there by himself. Yesterday, I was able to count to 10, that's how long he stood by himself. I couldn't believe it. He is soo talkative now too. Talks all day long, it's soo cute.

He loves splashing water in the toilet AND the dog's dish. There is water everywhere all the time, and my poor dog has resorted to drinking the cat's water (only b/c Avery has not discovered that one yet).

Hope you're all doing well,

Old 06-02-2006, 04:20 AM   #68
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User

Well Logan is officially walking on his own. I can't believe it. He motors everywhere now. I was watching him yesterday and I thought, where did my little baby go? It is sooo cute though.

S&J, we went back to just formula. We decided we'd wait until he's a year old to try milk again (or see what the doctor says when he goes for his one year check up). I was wondering what happened to Boo too. Guess she's busy.

DH's sister is getting married next weekend, and my sister is getting married in August. So I bought a little tux for Logan. I tried it on and is it ever adorable! I bought it big, so hopefully it will still fit in August. It is a 24 month, and the pants are quite big, but the shirt/vest fits almost perfect. Yikes!

Kiedy, congrats on the house, that is so exciting! Logan has a great attraction to my dog's dishes too. I have to put them up on the counter. Then sometimes I forget the dog hasn't had any water in awhile, and put it down and he drinks like he was in the desert. Poor thing. And the whole time Logan is trying to grab him. He just loves the dog, and the dog wants nothing to do with him. All though now that Logan is motoring around, he will go and get his ball and try to get Logan to chase him. So that's a start! Logan likes the toilet as well. It is fun when I am trying to pee, and he is trying to stick his hand in the toilet, or flush it.

Joanne, let us know how the camping went. Did you have good weather?

Well, Logan has just emptied everything out of my desk drawer. Kept him nice and quiet, but better go clean it up.

See you later.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #69
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Laur--Congrats on Logan walking!! That's so exciting!

Kiedy- Congrats on the house as well! That's awesome that you went to the pool and will take lessons..I would like to with Troy but I'm too self concious in a bathing suit lol. Maybe in a few months

Joanne- Hope the weather is going to be nice for you this weekend! I also hope that Kaden will sleep better than Troy did. I agree about their sleep being disturbed by the new standing skill...Troy was always standing and was teething at the same time. He's now figured out how to get back down without flopping back..he reaches down with his hand to the floor and then sits.

I was babysitting a friends baby yesterday --he's almost a year and Troy just loved having him here! He'd get so excited when he woke up from his naps and his buddy was still here. Troy was constantly following his bud around. At one point they both were fussy and I was like OMG...how could I handle twins??? But i guess you just do it. One wanted to be held and have his bottle and one wanted to be held and breastfed...and crying at the same time..but luckily that was only once!

Well..hope everyone is having a great weekend and take care!
    S

m/c *angel* 10 weeks July/04
    IUI's-2 for bfp Sept 27/07

Old 06-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #70
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Kiedy
    Congratulations on the house, thats great! Now you get to pack and move ...it's just a rollercoaster of work.
    Keep us updated on everything.

I want to put Kaden and Kierra in lessons too, it'll be Kaden's first time but not Kierra's. I just want to make sure both kids grow up confident in water, I was never a GREAT swimmer, I can swim but I am not a pro, so I want to ensure our kids are better than I am...then they can save me. (((Kidding)))

Kaden hasn't discovered the toilet water yet, I always keep the lid down when he is around, and I distract him with toys or Kierra's step stool. If he ever does figure out there's water in there I think I may get those toliet lid locks. I put a Flush 2000 tablet in there about 4 months ago but because we have a watersaver pump in the tank it is taking FOREVER to disolve and get flushed away so I wouldn't want him playing in the water...I'm actually thinking of emptying the tank and cleaning it out so there's no more 2000 cleaner in there otherwise I may still have some in there for the next year at the rate it's going. I'm also germ phobic so I would most likely be giving DS a bath each time he played in the toilet whether it be once a day or 8! LOL

Laur,
    Thats great! I can and can't wait for Kaden to start walking alone, in one sense I can wait because I like the cuddles and the "baby" stage and I know he'll be into everything, and in the other hand I can't wait because then he'll be more independant and my back will get a bit of a break from carrying him...lately I've been getting a pinched nerve off and on near my tailbone (sciatic nerve )

S&J
    I'm a bit self conscious as well, I am at my pre-pregnancy weight but I have flab in places I didn't have before so things don't fit the way they used to, and I have stretch marks as well, so when I do put on a bathingsuit I am going to wear board shorts to cover a bit more....I also wear the longer tankini bathing suits so it is a bit better for my SELF image.

Well, camping was OK. We got there and it was sooo hot. We set up and an hour or two later we had a rain shower for maybe 45 minutes then it cleared up for awhile. We had a thundershower that night but it was time to go to bed anyway...Kierra slept awesome both nights. Kaden woke up once or twice the first night, but the first time he woke up he didn't know where he was or who the heck I was and he screamed for about 10 minutes, he kept pushing me away and just spazing, eventually I got him to settle down and he fell asleep. The second night he woke up every few hours but he barely cried because I'd feed him right away and he'd go back to sleep...but I am so tired ...the night before we left I only got about 5 hours sleep because I was packing and loading the trailer, then the thunderstorm kept me up the first camp night, then Kaden wasn't sleeping for very long of stetches the second night of camping. The second day was windy 3/4's of the day then it cleared up and that night was clear but colder than the first night (weird) and the day we left was the nicest, no wind and nice hot weather. I have a ton of laundry to do...it's alot of work going camping. But we had fun and Kierra got to try out fishing...we didn't catch anything. I don't see any mosquito bites on the kids, I sprayed thier clothes with the bug spray and if I saw any mosquitos near them I shooed them away. DH is COVERED in mosquito bites though...I laughed because it looks like chicken pox...he was too busy playing poker (nice camping game hey) to spray bug spray on himself so he paid for it in the long run.

Well, I should go get a at that laundry mountain, I'll talk to you all soon.
    Take care

Old 06-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #71
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I forgot one more thing...Aunt Flow finally came.
    I don't know if it's because it was really time for her to come, or a combination of me forgetting to take Thursdays birth control pill until I realized when I went to take Friday's pill and the fact that Kaden wanted nothing to do with breastmilk during the daytimes when we were camping, I was lucky to get him to drink for 1 minute if at all during the day...I'm sure he was just too worried to miss what all was going on outside the trailer, the first night camping he didn't drink much either, but the last camping night and lastnight at home he is back to drinking more. So I guess we'll see if Aunt Flow comes back again next month, or if she is just here by mistake.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #72
    firsttimemom
    (female)

firsttimemom HB User

Hey guys,
    I have a problem that I need help with. DS is 9 1/2 months old. Up until recently he has been sleeping pretty well at night, from about 8:15 to 5:30-6:00. Well the past week he has been waking up and I let him cry for a while then I finally go in his room and pick him up and he immediately puts his head on my shoulder and falls back asleep quickly. But then when I lay him back down he wakes right up, I rub his back (he is a tummy sleeper) and he gets back to sleep but the second I stop he wakes right back up and starts crying. I do this 5/6 times a night now. The past 2 nights after doing this for a while I was so tired that I just brought him to bed with me and he slept great. Why is this happening all of a sudden and what can I do????? Please help....

Old 06-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #73
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

It could be a growth spurt and he needs to eat to help satisfy his hunger during this spurt or maybe teething waking him up and he just feels comforted when you are there or it could be separation anxiety...my pediatrician said Kaden probably has separation anxiety because he should be able to sleep longer. Is there anything different going on that may have upset his routine? (food or daily routine)

Old 06-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #74
    firsttimemom
    (female)

firsttimemom HB User

Kierrasmommy,
    There is nothing different at all in his routine. I am very adament about sticking to a routine. Sometimes he wants to eat, but most of the time the second I pick him up he is back asleep. I hope it is not separation anxiety, what can you do about that if that is what it is?

Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 AM   #75
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I haven't figured that out yet I still get up about 3 times a night with Kaden..the pediatricain said to CIO but I just can't bring myself to do it. I tried but I can't stand to hear him cry so I end up giving in. Kaden seems to be getting stuck standing up alot though, he'll pull himself up and can't figure how to lay down again so he cries until I come and get him, lay him down and give him his pacifier. I do usually try just giving his pacifier and sometimes he'll go back to sleep but other times he wants nothing to do with it and will only sleep after I feed him...as soon as I pick him up he is literally pecking my neck and face and bending himself down looking for his feeding...I think because he is half asleep, but he knows where it is, and that he's going to get it.

Some people say 'cry it out'. Some say 'gentle crying it out', by going in at increasing intervals until you illiminate the waking altogether, and others say don't cry it out at all...that the little ones are using their only method of vocalizing a need...and by not satisfying their call we are breaking thier trust that we are there for them...I guess it's all in what you believe.

Well, I should go, I just got back from a movie with my sister and neice and her boyfriend, and tomorrow I need to work a few hours so I guess I should get some sleep while I can.
    Talk to you all soon.

Closed Thread