It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Addison's and Multiple Sclerosis connected ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
    scorpio19th
    (female)

scorpio19th HB User
    Question Addison's and Multiple Sclerosis connected ?

Hi, I'm new to this board, but have noticed some similar questions, so thought I'd ask mine as well.

My father has had Addison's for 60 years. Both of his kids, myself and my younger sister, were diagnosed with MS in 2000.

Literature on Addison's always mentions ACTH enzyme levels. Research on the causes , symptoms, and diagnosis of multiple sclerosis will occasionally mention ACTH tests.

Does anyone on this board have Addison's, and also have children or younger family members with MS? Does anyone know of any research or studies being conducted on the possibility of a connection between the two?

It just seems this situation is too unlikely to be a coincidence. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2006, 07:18 AM   #2
    Keraly
    Veteran
    (female)

Keraly HB User
    Re: Addison's and Multiple Sclerosis connected ?

Dear Scorpio,

I have been pretty scarce on this board for a while, as my son was to the Mayo and diagnosed with something other than what I suspected he had. I had thought he might have the beginnings of Addison's or secondary adrenal insufficiency, but thus far it looks like he has POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). As far as your question, I did want to put in my two cents, as I have researched Addison's for the past two years, and have learned a lot from those who do have it. First of all, I am sorry to hear of your diagnoses (you and your sister!). Secondly, my mother has MS, my youngest of three kids has Type I Diabetes and my eldest had mysterious symptoms which have now been labeled as POTS. What I have learned is that autoimmune diseases can be grouped together, thus the tendency for a relative to have one of another autoimmune disease IS hereditary, but the inheritance of that specific disease is more unusual. When my Mom first learned she had MS we were scared for our kids. But she was told it was NOT hereditary. This was not very accurate info, as while my kids may not possess much more of a chance of getting MS than the general population, they do possess more chance of having SOME autoimmune disease. Beyond Addisons and MS being most often caused by some improper autoimmune response, they do not seem to have a whole lot in common, in my opinion. In MS, I do not know of any involvement with the adrenal glands, for instance. In Addison's, I am not aware of anyone's having lesions on the brain scans. Interestingly, my son has ONE lesion, which the doctors are watching by taking MRI's every three mos. I hope this rather lengthy reply is of some help and may tell you something you didn't already know! I'm not sure. Note that my younger son has Type I Diabetes (as I have mentioned), which is another disease caused by autoimmune disfunction. There is also a tendency for autoimmune diseases to come in pairs or even groups. Often someone will have thyroid problems with their Addison's or vitiligo with Diabetes...

Best wishes, Tracy

Old 05-29-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
    scorpio19th
    (female)

scorpio19th HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Addison's and Multiple Sclerosis connected ?

Tracy, thanks very much for the info. Sounds like you've done as much research on Addison's in a few years, as I've done in my entire life. Although reading about my father's Addison's disease was probably one of the very searches I ever did on-line.

Actually, over just the past few days I've learned about adreno-leuko-dystrophy [ALD] and adreno-myelin-neuropathy [AMN], demyelinating diseases that only males actually contract, but for which females can be carriers.

Assuming I'm reading all these medical abstracts correctly, more than half of these female carriers are first diagnosed with MS, because their MRIs indicate white-matter brain lesions.

Doctors have become somewhat accustomed to diagnosing MS from such MRIs. But especially with women who don't actually manifest ALD/AMN, they seldom think to do some of the other tests that would rule in/rule out the leukodystrophies.

Thanks for your response, and reinforcing the concept that all these auto-immune diseases are genetically pre-disposed and inter-connected, even though they may not actually be inherited per se.

By the way, my father has had Addison's for 60 years. It was pure luck that his original doctor had recently read an article about salt craving and bronzing of the skin, or the diagnosis would never have been made.

Daddy's been on oral corticosteroids for 59 years, and I think he's suffered four crises in all that time. So while it's still not curable, it's definitely treatable and no longer life-threatening.

Best of luck to you and your family. Take care.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
    Keraly
    Veteran
    (female)

Keraly HB User

Thank you! Sounds like your father is doing very well! I hope some of the newer MS treatments will also help you and your sister! So sorry you have such challenges! Maybe the example of your father and what success he has had with his challenging illness will help you have more hope. My mom has MS and has led quite a happy and full life! She's still got her same alway positive personality and lots of hobbies! Take good care. Someday we may all understand these illnesses better. Until then, drink green tea; it seems to be coming forth as the answer to all ills! Can't hurt, I suppose! Tracy

Old 06-01-2006, 12:57 AM   #5
    pursie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pursie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keraly
    Thank you! Sounds like your father is doing very well! I hope some of the newer MS treatments will also help you and your sister! So sorry you have such challenges! Maybe the example of your father and what success he has had with his challenging illness will help you have more hope. My mom has MS and has led quite a happy and full life! She's still got her same alway positive personality and lots of hobbies! Take good care. Someday we may all understand these illnesses better. Until then, drink green tea; it seems to be coming forth as the answer to all ills! Can't hurt, I suppose! Tracy
    hi im sorry about your illnesses in your family ,im from england with hypo.. and now the doc says theres something wrong with my glands and cortisone or something i have heavy periods also does this mean i could have addisons im seeing an endo in 4 weeks but i need to know whats happening i hope someone can help!!!! lots of love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 06-01-2006, 02:37 AM   #6
    scorpio19th
    (female)

scorpio19th HB User

Katpurs, I'm fairly certain that, if your doctor's saying there's some glandular problem and your cortisone levels are messed up, it's good that you have an appointment with an endocrinologist.

In the meantime, be SURE you're familiar with the signs of what's called an Addisonian crisis [weak, nauseous, confused, clammy skin, etc] so you can avoid any problems, just in case.

Take care, write back on line, or to me personally, after you know more. Later.

PS... Does your screen name mean that you're a cat lover? I've rescued cats and dogs for over 35 years, and love doing it. If we have THAT in common, let me know.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
    bunnieb
    (female)

bunnieb HB User

Yes it is possible to have Addison's and MS. I was diagnosed with the MS in 1993 and then cushings, 3 failed pit surgeries and then they took out both of my adrenal Glands,

Old 09-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
    scorpio19th
    (female)

scorpio19th HB User

Bunnieb, I appreciate your response, and the confirmation that folks CAN indeed have an adrenal problem like cushings or addisons, and have MS as well.

If your MS was diagnosed in '93, when was the cushings diagnosed? What sort of symptoms did you have? What sent you to an endocrinologist? And what sort of treatment are you using now that you've had your adrenals removed?

Sorry, I don't mean to be nosy, and hope you're not offended. But you're the first person I've met who even mentioned the two diseases in the same sentence, much less has been diagnosed with both.

I'd really appreciate any feedback you can provide. Feel free to write me privately if you'd prefer. But I'd love to talk more.

Thanks.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Your asking specifically if there is a connection between Addisons and MS.

There is no connection.

However, autoimmune diseases can run in families. And those with MS can get other diseases and/or illness. Unfortunately, some people have more than one health issue.

Closed Thread