It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• LPR: Dry Cough->Abdominal Constriction->Swollen Throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
    Skippy004
    (male)

Skippy004 HB User
    LPR: Dry Cough->Abdominal Constriction->Swollen Throat

My symptoms:

Nov / Dec:
    Persistent, Chronic Dry Cough

Jan:
    Abdominal Constriction..severe abdominal tightness and shortness of breath.
    Cough went away. No heartburn ever.

Doctor Visit: Diagnised with GERD. Put on Protonix 1X day - which immediately wiped out the abdominal issue.

Jan / Feb:
    Red Throat (no pain)...

Feb / March:
    Red Throat (no pain)..white patches on tonsils appeared.
    2 months of Protonix....inflamed throat persists.

Mar:
    Swollen neck glands appear and persist.
    Getting scared now. Anxiety kicking in.

April:
    Throat symptoms persist.
    Neck feels stiff; salivary glands feel swollen.
    Experience Fatigue; muscle-joint pains; headaches.

May:
    Go to ENT: Diagnosed with LPR. Put on Aciphex 2x day...
    Fatigue; muscle-joint pains; headaches disspate but still linger.

June:
    Glands / neck still swollen.
    Throat still inflamed.
    Headaches continue / Fatigue lingers - going away slowly.

Q's are:
    Has anyone had the abdominal constriction, shortness of breath?
    Was/is that hiatal hernia?

Swollen neck glands? Caused by reflux? Side effects of medication??
    When they appeared it was in b/t running out of Protonix and before I started taking Aciphex.

Headache; muscle pains; fatigue? Maybe a virus - but I never had a fever.

Has anyone had symptoms like this caused by reflux? or is it my underlying anxiety?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
    lynniebellz
    (female)

lynniebellz HB User
    Re: LPR: Dry Cough->Abdominal Constriction->Swollen Throat

Hi,
    when my LPR is really bad I seem to have a headache as well. I also get shortness of breath but always thought that was from anxiety. I have been on prevacid 2x a day but not working. also was on Aciphex 2x per day and that didn't work. not sure if I should try nexium or just gjive up on meds all together. I find my only relief is when I don't eat anything out of the way. This is very difficult though. there is not much of a variety. I also feel like my throat is closing and sometimes the food gets stuck in my throat. I have the chronic sore throat as well. some days are better than others.

I am going to try a homeopathic remedy as soon as it comes in the mail I will keep you posted on my progress.

good luck, lynn

Old 09-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
    KPK1
    (male)

KPK1 HB User

This tightness in your abdominal area may be excessive gas in the stomach or intestines. This bloating puts pressure on your diaphram and makes it difficult to take a deep breath. If you resolve the bloating prob, you may be able to breath better.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
    backslide05
    Veteran
    (female)

backslide05 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lynniebellz
    Hi,
    when my LPR is really bad I seem to have a headache as well. I also get shortness of breath but always thought that was from anxiety. I have been on prevacid 2x a day but not working. also was on Aciphex 2x per day and that didn't work. not sure if I should try nexium or just gjive up on meds all together. I find my only relief is when I don't eat anything out of the way. This is very difficult though. there is not much of a variety. I also feel like my throat is closing and sometimes the food gets stuck in my throat. I have the chronic sore throat as well. some days are better than others.

I am going to try a homeopathic remedy as soon as it comes in the mail I will keep you posted on my progress.

good luck, lynn
    Lynnie,
    I was wondering how your homeopathic remedy was working and if it was helping. I also was on prevacid and got off that nasty stuff. I had extreme fatigue and heart palps, and muscle aches.

I have the same symptoms and got worse with PPIs I believe they only make you worse in the long run.

the only thing that's helped me in any way (and I've tried everything) is Manuka honey --it helps with the burning in my throat and stomach. Most of my issues are throat related and chest related, but occasional burning and stomach stuff. The honey was amazing. I recommend it.

The apple cidar vinegar didn't really help me but I didn't mind the taste at all, so drink it sometimes just cuz it's supposed to be good for you..
    I try to keep and open mind and like hearing others' suggestions. hope you are doing better.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #5
    KPK1
    (male)

KPK1 HB User

Honey seems to help me as well. All I have tried is regular "kroger" clover honey. I take 1 teaspoon before a go to sleep and it seems to sooth my throat. I have read that honey is a natural inti-inflamitory, as well as antibiotic, which helps the healing process. I have noticed that when I take the honey while irritated, a small portion of my throat burns for a while, right around the adam's apple area.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
    patricia jean
    (female)

patricia jean HB User

I also have the abdominal constriction which causes shortness of breath...and it is an awful feeling...especially while trying to sleep...I have been struggling with this problem for years, and so far I can't find any help. I am going to another ENT this week to get yet another oppinion...Gheeegh ! Plus I have muscle pains, fatigue and anxiety, and constant belching....I tried the homepathic remedys...nothing worked ( it was a waste of money ) ... I am taking two PPI'S daily along with antacids....I would love to get just a little relief

Old 09-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #7
    happymedium
    (female)

happymedium HB User

Hi the throat thing happens to me all the time,its scary sometimes i think my food will not go down i have to have a drink with me all the time.I also have suffered with panic attacks in the past,since this acid as started it puts me on the verge of one all the time.My glands are swollen all the time & i feel unwell alot,so you are not on your own with this just wish someone could come up with something to cure this

Closed Thread