It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• I am ALWAYS hungry...what's the matter with me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2003, 11:00 AM   #1
    MicheleWithOneL

MicheleWithOneL HB User
    Question I am ALWAYS hungry...what's the matter with me?

I am a 24 year old woman and I am never full. I am about 70-80 pounds overweight and I have been dieting and exercising on and off since I was 13. Now I am at my peak weight and I never am full. I will eat small, regular meals but then be starving when I'm done. I'm starving all day. I am actually hungry because my stomach will growl even though I just ate or ate 20 minutes ago. This is so embarassing and sometimes I get so frustrated that I eat anything I can get my hands on which will eventually make me so full that I am not feeling well. Does anyone have a clue why my body is doing this? This has been happening for six months and I am at my wits end. Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2003, 04:57 PM   #2
    versusthefridge
    Inactive

versusthefridge HB User
    I may not have "the answer", but I have a bit of input. I'm just starting this quest myself.

I just took a unit in psychology last summer on motivation including hunger, thirst, sex drive, etc. I'm almost positive that many people with eating disorders can and do have abnormal biochemical drives relating to all three and perhaps more. They say people take psychology classes to fix themselves rather than others, and I think there's some truth to that. The class didn't help me to understand how *my* hunger works. I rarely eat based on hunger alone. My eating situation sounds quite a bit like yours, especially in the evening.

I honestly don't think I have a healthy hunger drive either. When you consider that an adult stomach is about the size of your fist (I dunno, I heard that somewhere, it could be true), many of us stretch it out quite a bit, even if we're not considered "overeaters".

Don't be too hard on yourself though. The more you weigh, the greater your caloric need. Remember that and keep coming here. "The answer" is out there.

Old 04-15-2003, 02:53 PM   #3
    KatJ

KatJ HB User
    Hi! I really do not have the name of the health problem that I believe you are speaking of, but I know people with similar problems. My friends mom is overweight, and she tries to watch her weight, but she is NEVER full! She went to the doctor and he diagnosed her with some problem--So my advice to you is go to the doctor and see why this is happening!! Love Katie

Old 04-22-2003, 11:00 AM   #4
    ConnieJr

ConnieJr HB User
    Smile

Hello ~ I am having the same problem. I have struggled with anorexia/bulimia for over ten years. I am at a healthy weight, maybe a few under, but man, I am ALWAYS hungry here lately. I have a hard time filling up and then when I do...I feel like crap.

You are not alone, but I cannot give you any advice, for I haven't found anything that works for me yet. However, I do keep yogurt at work to snack on rather than junk food.

Old 04-24-2003, 11:52 AM   #5
    Tired74

Tired74 HB User
    Hello,

I am so abd when it comes to this. If I am not around food I am okay but once I start eating I cannot stop. I am not fat but not as thin as I want to be. My frame is medium/muscular and I have a hard time dealing with it. I hate my body and friends who weigh the same as me look so much skinnier and I feel like staying home all the time and not go out because of it. I am embarrassed by it and I feel down.
    So you are not alone.
    Try the healthy snacking thoughg

Old 04-25-2003, 08:26 AM   #6
    sutherland

sutherland HB User
    Smile

i'd agree with visiting doctor, it would be a good start to see if there is any medical reason why this is causing you so much distress, and then you can can work out a plan to get yourself where you want to be.
    they say if you eat 5 portions of veg and 5 portions of fruit a day it's the most healthy thing for your body, and fillis you up. go ith the healthy snack thing! keep a giant bowl of chopped carrots, celery, and fruit sald in fridge, just eat that whenever you need to. then at least you know your putting something ood into your body
    let us know what doc says
    Bx

Closed Thread