It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• thinking about lasik...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
    whatthesmack
    (male)

whatthesmack HB User
    thinking about lasik...

My wife has been trying to manipulate me to have lasik for a few years now. All I know about lasik is what the tv ads have told me. I am -4.25 in both eyes & have no astigmatism. I don't have any problems with dry eyes now. How do I know if I'm a good candidate for lasik? I want to make sure that if I'm going to fork out a few thousand dollars that I'll have 20/20 vision in both eyes. Also, I've been told that if I'm currently near-sighted that after lasik I'll need reading glasses? I've also been told that sometimes they only operate in 1 eye and the other eye will compensate? Can someone please clue me in?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User
    Re: thinking about lasik...

Whatthesmack,
    The first thing you should do is schedule a couple of consultations with a couple of different lasik offices in your location. The reason that I saw a couple is to ensure that you don't go to the place that is going to treat you like a prospective car buyer and tell you anything you want to hear so that they can get your cash. None of us can tell you if you would be a good candidate. Only a licensed Lasik doctor can tell you that for sure. Most Lasik offices offer a free consultation, no strings attached. That being said, make sure that the places you choose offer the surgery for a couple thousand dollars per eye. Just remember the saying, "You get what you pay for." These are your eyes you are talking about and, if you go to a cheap doctor where you pay only a few hundred dollars, no offense, but you have only yourself to blame if you go blind. I call places like that that offer a discount, Lasik Chop Shops.
    As for the need for reading glasses post-lasik...I don't know about that. I don't need them yet but, I am only a year and almost 5 months post-op. But, from what I understand, everyone needs reading glasses when they get older. You eyes naturally reverse. But, that being said, I can't say that that is the case or is not the case for people who have had Lasik. It may have been the case a few or more years ago and may not be the case now. But, even if it is the case now, you were probably going to end up needing them in the future anyway so, there really is no difference.
    As for the one eye correction...I think you are referring to the procedure that some people have done to correct the Presbyopia (which is what I think they call the need for reading glasses). I can't remember since it has been over a year since I did all of my research on the entire lasik experience before I decided to have my surgery. Anyway, what they do is correct one eye for distance and either leave the other eye so that it will focus for the close-up stuff leaving the other eye to focus for the distance stuff, or they fix the other eye so that it does focus on the near stuff. I wish I could help you more but, I have an extremely poor memory. Seriously, it still boggles my mind how I can remember the date of my surgery and what I wore that day but, I can't remember all the technical stuff I learned before my surgery! Hehehehe!

Anyway, first things first. Go have a couple consultations. If even one of them says you aren't a good candidate, you might reconsider. But, only a licensed lasik doc can tell you for sure!

Take care and keep in touch!

Old 07-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
    lamptaxi
    (female)

lamptaxi HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatthesmack
    My wife has been trying to manipulate me to have lasik for a few years now. All I know about lasik is what the tv ads have told me. I am -4.25 in both eyes & have no astigmatism. I don't have any problems with dry eyes now. How do I know if I'm a good candidate for lasik? I want to make sure that if I'm going to fork out a few thousand dollars that I'll have 20/20 vision in both eyes. Also, I've been told that if I'm currently near-sighted that after lasik I'll need reading glasses? I've also been told that sometimes they only operate in 1 eye and the other eye will compensate? Can someone please clue me in?

Old 07-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
    lamptaxi
    (female)

lamptaxi HB User

It is the best thing I have done for myself! I had it done back in March this year and seeing wonderful. I highly recommend Lasik Plus. I know a lot of people that went there. It is good to do the research on the places, surgeon and referrals. I have worn glasses for awhile and had a hard time w/contacts and so I finally went in for the free consult and did it after a few weeks. I am still talking about it! It is awesome and worth the money. I am doing it with the flex account at work where it is all pre-taxed. Good luck.

Closed Thread