It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Research on Goblet Cells

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
    bostonlover
    (female)

bostonlover HB User
    Research on Goblet Cells

I just recently ran across a bunch of research on the fact that the suction ring applied during the procedure may actually have alot to do with dry eye syndrome after lasik. They believe it is causing damage to the goblet cells of the eye that are responsible for the "mucin" layer of the tear film resulting in quick TBUT ratings.

A quick summary of the research said:

"All patients in both groups showed a decrease in the goblet cell count after LASIK surgery. At 1 week and 1 month, the GCC decreased significantly (P<0.001) in the M2 group (traditional lasik), and from the third month, the GCC began to increase. In the IL (Intralase lasik) group the GCC at 3 months was still very low (P<0.033), and recovery of the goblet cells was observed after 6 months. At 1 week, 1 month, and 3 months, GCC was lower with IL than with M2, at P<0.019, P<0.001 and P<0.024, respectively. The mean period that the suction ring was applied was 22 8 seconds for M2 and 108 34 seconds for the IL."

I also read on another article with Opthomology Times that the goblet cells could take up to one year to repair to pre-op levels.

I don't know if this might give some of you hope if you are getting to the one-year mark and wondering why you still have some dry eye. I am only at the one month mark, so frankly I hope that I take less time than that.
    [removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-16-2007 at 06:43 AM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
    sara57
    (female)

sara57 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Research on Goblet Cells

Hi.....BostonLover...

Very interesting...thanks for the report. Recently, you answered one of my posts and i was trying to find it to answer you...i think it was related to what test my physician used in order to determine why my right eye felt dry. (had regular lasik surgery May 11, 2006) and after 5 wks. still have a dry right eye. Left is pretty O.K. maybe a bit dry at times but i certainly can live with it. If the above was your question , i do not know what kind of test they used to determine that i had a dry eye. But i can tell you that their tests did not show i have a dry eye, no dry patches but although their test cannot clinically pick up dry eye, your eye according the docs can still be dry. I just completed a week of Tobradex, and it actually helped with some itching and dry eye but was told cannot use to much Tobradex. Doc recently placed a plug in my lower lid....not sure if helping but it is not irriating to me so will keep in. I use bion tears and somethimes Refresh Celluvisc when my eye drive me crazy.
    If i know all would be O.K. by the 6 month i would not be so anxious.............are you beginning to question if having this surgery was a smart move? I know i am...........but at the same time i really try to be positive. After all...about 15 of my co-workers had this surgery from the best physican in the couny and everyone feels great!!!!!!
    Again..thanks for the article. I was told that the reason for the dryness was the cutting of the corneal nerves and it takes about 6 months for nerve to regenerate..............comment?

Thanks,
    sara

Old 06-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
    bostonlover
    (female)

bostonlover HB User
    Re: Research on Goblet Cells

Hi, Sara

I was told that too about the nerve damage. It appears it may be two-pronged... They just aren't really sure. But from everything i have researched we should be back to feeling pre-surgery by 6 months. A few reports have said it could take a year. I think it is very uncommon for it to take alot longer than that or be permanent. This week i started using Theratears Liquigel almost exclusively and I have been more comfortable. Still have to use it every two hours though. For me my left eye is the one that bothers me and the right feels almost normal. I told my husband I think I can make it for 6 months to a year if i know it will go away and if i have drops that actually make me comfortable. It's going to be a hard year though if I have too many weeks like last week. No matter how often I was dropping I wasn't getting much relief. I was using Tears Naturale mostly. I guess that drop isn't viscous enough for me. The theratears liquigel is very comfortable, but it also makes my eyes blurry for at least 20 minutes. Oh well, rather have that and not feel dry. I might request punctal plugs when I go in this next Thursday. It appears that many docs automatically do this at the time of the surgery because so many people have the dry eye problem.

Glad to hear an update from you. Hang in there and try and stay positive. I know its frustrating, but we don't want to let regret even be in our minds at this point.

Keep in touch.

Tera

Old 06-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
    onataliya
    Inactive
    (female)

onataliya HB User
    Re: Research on Goblet Cells

Hello!

I had the surgery done. Wouldn`t recommend it to anybody. Why mess with the eyes? Besides problems it won`t bring you anything good ... Everybody is different, but why take the risk with the eyes if the result is not guaranteed..
    Be careful...

Natalia.

Closed Thread