It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Anyone have PRK??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #16
    bowriter
    (female)

bowriter HB User
    Re: Anyone have PRK??

I had my eyes done at TLC, which is nationwide. They did Tiger Woods and he is on their pamphlets. My doctor told me he was -11.0. I think he had the lasik done, not the PRK. He had his done in 1999. My guess is that he probably needed enhancement with sight that bad, but they never said if he did or not. But apparently he is at 20/15 in both eyes. So there is hope for all of us!

It's got to be frustrating with sports. I remember playing softball one year and I had to take my lenses out becuase of an irritation or something. I couldn't see squat. I shouldn't have showed up that night.

One of the follow-up doctors said that usually after the second month, there is a huge improvement. So far, that has been the case with me and again, they are going by statistics. It could differ slightly depending on the person. There will always be some that just don't heal by the book, but that's to be expected too. I go back to the TLC doctor in late May for my 2-3 month follow-up. Hopefully, I'll be 20/20 by then in my right eye. Still, I am happy with the way I am seeing now. It's just great not to have to wear contacts anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2006, 10:15 AM   #17
    Giannmi
    (male)

Giannmi HB User

Thank you once again for you post. My eyesight seems to have leveled off at around 20/40 or 50 for about 2 weeks now but I go this thurs to Diamond vision for my 6 week follow up. I am very interested to hear what they have to say about what I should expect over the next month. You are right, not wearing contacts is great even if I cannot see perfectly.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:30 PM   #18
    daldridge
    (female)

daldridge HB User

I have had PRK and found that it takes a while before your vision settles down and has more clarity for lack of a better word. I couldn't drive at night for a long time, maybe a couple years but now I see fine and I can drive at night. The healing process is just much longer. Don't get discouraged, the best is yet to come, lol!

Last edited by daldridge; 05-04-2006 at 11:32 PM.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:56 AM   #19
    stclair4
    (female)

stclair4 HB User

Hi Amy --

I had PRK on March 31. My surgery for PRK was plans as I didn't qualify for Lasik due to thin corneas.
    The surgey went fine, this was a Friday, I was OK sat, Sun --- Monday my eyes were really iritated from the bandaid contacts but it was short lived they came out on Tues. My vision wasn't good at all, but within 2-3 days I was clearing up.
    My right eye is about 20/30, maybe 20/20 now but my left eye is struggling. I went back after about 2-3 weeks as I am seeing double & its all normal & I was told to give it at least 2 months if no longer. Granted I can see without glasses & I am driving but PRK does take longer to heal. I'm sure it is harder for you since you didn't get a chance to prepare yourself for the extensive healing time.

My doctor did both eyes at the same time, he left is up to me, gave me the pros & cons & I decided to go for it & do both. Glad i did.

I am so sorry you are stuggling, I'm sure things will settle soon. Hang in there.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #20
    prtebvr
    (female)

prtebvr HB User

Hi, guys. Nice to see new posters on this topic. Tomorrow (Friday, May 19th) is two-months post-op for me. My last appointment was three weeks ago and I go back in this Saturday. When I was checked the last time, I was apparently 20/30. I couldn't even attempt to read the 20/20 line on the chart. I can't say I've noticed an improvement over the last three weeks, but we'll see what Saturday brings. I would be extremely surprised if I'm 20/20.
    I go through short periods where my vision gets a little blurry. Especially when I'm at work on the computer. But, for the most part, I see pretty much as well as did before the surgery (with my old contacts, of course).
    My night vision still sucks. It did before the surgery and it still does. Not that I can't see well, but lights are a problem. They have been for years. Car/street lights are nothing but globs of color. I don't think that will change.

Hope the new posters to this topic are doing well.

Amy

Old 05-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #21
    lisa glm
    (female)

lisa glm HB User

I am having PRK surgery June 15th. Reading all your posts makes me very skeptical in having the procedure. I am only doing it in my left eye. I have recurrent corneal erosion and the Dr. said tht would help with that and with my sight. Hope I'm doing the right thing I'll let you know when it's done and how things are going.

Lisa

Old 05-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #22
    lanahoop
    (female)

lanahoop HB User

I had PRK a year ago this June on both eyes. I am so ahppy with the results! At first I wasn't sure I had done the right think! It takes a few weeks for everything the settle down. The first week I could tell that I was seeing better than with contacts but not enough to get by. After three weeks, I was 20/20! The only thing I can tell differently about my eyes since PRK is they are more sensitive to sunlight (so I just have sunglasses with me) and they are alot more sensitive if I get something in them. I don't know if that is because I wore contacts for close to 20 years and am not used to not having them there as protection or what. Anyway, I would do it again! Good luck! I hope you are as happy as me with your results!

Old 05-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #23
    goba
    (female)

goba HB User

Hi just to let you know my sister had prk done on Jan 27, I had lasik done the same day. She is doing great and I'm the one who has had issues. It does take time and she felt blind as a bat for two to three weeks. They say it improves for 6 months. So be patient, I'm starting to wish that I would have had prk, because the side effects are less. Hang in there, my sis loves it!!!

Old 05-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #24
    prtebvr
    (female)

prtebvr HB User

Hi, Lisa. I have to say I wish I was you. I didn't know I was going to have the PRK until a few hours before my procedure. I didn't know ANYTHING about the procedure or the healing process. I didn't know anyone who had PRK, so I didn't have anyone to talk to about what I was going through. I didn't have a chance to even look for something like this website. So, in that sense, you're lucky. I had my two-month check-up last week and I am seeing 20/25 in my left eye and 20/30 in my right. I'm still healing.
    Don't be too afraid of what we're all complaining about. PRK, unlike LASIK, takes a long time to fully heal. I'm healing nine weeks after my procedure. But, even thought I'm not 20/20 yet, I really can't tell the difference between my vision now, and my vision when I wore my contact lenses. Again, just be prepared for a long healing time. I really didn't see that well for about three weeks. I had to be driven to and from work for two weeks. I made the doctor give slightly corrective lenses during my third week and, by week four, I had naked eyes for the first time in 15 years!! I am one of the most impatient people I know, but I had no choice. It won't be fun for the first couple weeks. You vision will probably suck. But, it will get better. I thought I made a huge mistake. Now, I have to constantly remind myself that I see as well as I do without contacts. Every day I tell myself. I still can't believe it. It is awesome.
    You have to be patient and give your eyes time to heal. It will be worth it.
    Good luck.
    Amy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisa glm
    I am having PRK surgery June 15th. Reading all your posts makes me very skeptical in having the procedure. I am only doing it in my left eye. I have recurrent corneal erosion and the Dr. said tht would help with that and with my sight. Hope I'm doing the right thing I'll let you know when it's done and how things are going.

Lisa

Old 05-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #25
    prtebvr
    (female)

prtebvr HB User

Those of you who have had PRK, what is your night vision like? I'm nine weeks post-op and my night vision still sucks. There is no difference between now and before the surgery. I spoke to the Dr's office today and was told that it takes longer for night vision to improve. I called to ask about this, in particular, because when I had an appointment last week, I mentioned it to the opthamologist. He told me they 'didn't correct my night vision. They only correced my prescription.' ???? HUH??? How can they correct your prescripton only??? Isn't the way I see at night part of it? I was completely confused. The girl I talked to this afternoon said that might have been a misunderstanding and, again, my night vision should improve.
    What about you guys??? Please tell me it does improve after your day vision improves.

Thanks

Old 06-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #26
    1L LawSchool
    (male)

1L LawSchool HB User

I dont know if anyone still posts on this board, but I thought I would extend a thank-you to you all for reassuring me that what I am going through right now is normal. I just had PRK done at the Valley Eye Care Center 1 week ago tomorrow... needless to say I can't see very much and I've been trying to do research on what is normal versus abnormal at the 1-week marker and I've seen doctors say most patients have 20/40 or better; I had 20/40ish one day after the surgery, but today when they took the bandage contact out I suddenly dropped to 20/60ish... extremely frustrating. But it sounds like you all have been through this already, so I feel definitely more at ease with my condition. I will try to update you on my progress just in case anyone else is where I am now and would benefit from another example on these boards. So thanks-again; reading these forums just dropped my blood-pressure and worry-meter a ton.

Thanks,

Chris

A little bit about my prescription:

Left Eye Operated 6-7-06 Custom PRK
    Right Eye Scheduled 6-29-06 Custom PRK

Pre-op:

Left -4.5 diopters
    Chose PRK for thin corneas and large pupils and I'm also thinking about joining the Navy if Law School doesn't work out and thats what they prefer. I also had custom wavemapping and I've decided to take vitamin C 1000mg daily post surgery.

Post-op:

Day 1- 20/40ish vision and slight halos and starbursting at night; really a fair amount of pain because they didn't tell me when to start my numbing drops and I fell asleep for a few hours after the surgery... I woke up to a freight-train running through my eye... not very fun for about 45minutes until my drugs and drops kicked in. The surgery was very quick and smooth with no pain. That smell of burning is slightly unnerving though.

Day4- Vision about the same, but halos are smaller and starbursting at night seems to be better, reading is extremely hard at times, but I'm getting used to the double vision..I tried driving to the grocery store, that was a mistake and I won't try that again.

Day7- 20/60ish vision after bandage contact
    was removed; very frustrating

Old 06-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #27
    prtebvr
    (female)

prtebvr HB User

Hey, Chris. Glad to hear you're doing better. I wasn't up to 20/40 (legal driving vision) until about two weeks, post-op. And that was with slightly corrective lenses from the Dr. I had those for one, or two (I can't remember) weeks until I stopped wearing them and had naked eyes for the first time in 15 years. My next appointment isn't until July 22nd-four months post-op. Last visit I was 20/30 in my left eye and 20/40 (still) in my right eye. Funny thing is, my right eye was stronger before the procedure. Go figure.
    How is your night vision doing? Mine STILL sucks. I need to find out what the heck is going on with that. One girl in the office said that takes longer to heal than day vision. Huh? The opthamologist said I wasn't corrected for night vision. Huh?? ***? No clue. I've taken to wearing +1.25 magnifying glasses at night once in a while. Lights are still as blurry as before the procedure. But with the mag. glasses, it's not as bad. Still bad, only very slightly improved. Still pretty darn frustrating.

Anywho...you'll continue to improve. It's just a long process.

Amy

Old 06-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #28
    mlewis001
    (male)

mlewis001 HB User

Epi Lasik 6/8/06
    I was also told 10 minutes before surgery that He wanted to do Epi Lasik instead if Lasik. I wasn't afarid because I think they gave me the valum before they told me cause they knew I'd be relaxed. I have a well respected surgeon in Michigan Dr. Reza Rahmani, He told me the results would be just as good or better than Traditional Lasik, and all he said was healing would "Take a little bit" After 4 days, I thought I had @#$%^& up my vision because I had NO @#$%^&* IDEA what to expect. So I have spent all my post op days researching the procedure I had. It seems like there were others who got slipped a "mickey Finn" at the last minute also. I must admit that my 1 week post op was 20/40 boths eyes and 20/30 combined, It has been twelve days and my vion is about equal with my glasses. I have little doubt that that I will settle 20/20 or better, however, I felt alone & afarid for, and still do a little bit. I know I'm an outside sine I had Epi-lasik and not PRK, but maybe I'll start an Epi-Lasik Forum..

Old 07-04-2006, 10:14 PM   #29
    lisa_jane
    (female)

lisa_jane HB User

I had PRK four years ago this thanksgiving. Like you I did not know I was not having LASK until the day of surgery. I was told my cornea was too thin to make a flap. I only took off about five days, It was not enough! The theraputic lens would get very cloudy from the steroid drops, it felt like a very very dirty lens. I had to have another placed after than and continued the steroid drops for about a month. I had to use the refresh drops for moisture frequently. After about two months i had 20/20 vision and still do. I had a bad astigmatism since first grade. wore contacts from age sixteen to 39. I can tell you as the months go by you will use the refresh drops less and less. I still use them if i get something in my eye or am on medications that dry out the eyes. It took a while but thank goodness i worked in a office on the edge of town. I could drive the fifteen miles throught the country go into town the back way and straight to the office and home. It was two months before i drove myself any place else! take it slow it will get better.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #30
    fmsamos
    (female)

fmsamos HB User

Lisa Jane, how is your night vision? Mine has not changed one bit since my procedure. The opthamologist said I 'wasn't corrected for night vision.' ???? I have an appointment next week and will make a point to talk to the surgeon.
    How was your night vision before and after surgery?

Closed Thread